CGC

Thread: CGC

Callaway is offline Senior Member

DefaultCGC

I am going to attempt to take the CGC with Bogey again, this spring. For a briefing , he passed all parts except supervised seperation. He totally freaked. Cried, whined, jumped all over people.

So I need some help/ideas on how I can practice with him to help this. Granted he was just over a year old last time, and he has calmed a bit since then.

I am also going to get Calli's, but I have no doubt she will get it the first time.

TIA!

Courtney, Bogey and Calli

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: CGC

Go at it very gradually. Start by even just turning your back on Bogey, so you do not have eye contact. Then walk around the room. Stand behind Bogey and reward when he keeps his head straight and does not turn around to try and see where you are.

Then, leave him and walk out of the room for a second, then two and so forth. Reward (quietly and calmly) when he is relaxed and not excited.

Quote Originally Posted by Belles mom
    Go at it very gradually. Start by even just turning your back on Bogey, so you do not have eye contact. Then walk around the room. Stand behind Bogey and reward when he keeps his head straight and does not turn around to try and see where you are.

Then, leave him and walk out of the room for a second, then two and so forth. Reward (quietly and calmly) when he is relaxed and not excited.
    He does this very well on sit stays. Sits like a statue, waiting.....

Should I have another person here, to hold his leash? Or just start with me and him?

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

When you say he does well with sit/stays just you and him, is it in your home? If so, that is entirely different because at home he is comfortable so when you go out of sight, it isn't such a big deal. Try to get someone to go with you somewhere and hold the leash while you work on his confidence when you leave him.

Good luck!

Canyon Labradors is offline Senior Member

How about if you and a friend take him out and you practice leaving him. If he gets nervous, have your friend calm him. In the test, the person holding him won't be able to say anything to him, but this way he might learn it's OK to not be with you.

Jed just did his CGC over the weekend, and he gets a bit stressed with strangers. So while we waiting during the match we held, until the test, I had some friends who don't see him often hold him and walk around with him.

Quote Originally Posted by MilesMom
    When you say he does well with sit/stays just you and him, is it in your home? If so, that is entirely different because at home he is comfortable so when you go out of sight, it isn't such a big deal. Try to get someone to go with you somewhere and hold the leash while you work on his confidence when you leave him.

Good luck!
    Yes this is at home. But he did good during class too. He could also see me. I think going somewhere else is a great idea. It will really help. Thanks.

I always liked petsmart for things like this. I would take Amber to Petsmart and then have strangers actually take her for a quick walk around an aisle then back to me. Then find another stranger to just hold the leash as I walk around the store, gradually build up time. I have had the staff there do this and also customers that seemed to be dog people. There are a surprising number of dog people that will help you in a petsmart.

Kelly