Novice A or B?

Thread: Novice A or B?

DefaultNovice A or B?

Okay, I am thinking about entering Novice at an upcoming trial (Cleveland All Breed). I am pretty sure I enter A but would cry if I made a mistake and lost a leg because of that.

We have RN, RA and RE in AKC. We have rally titles in APDT and C-WAGs. We do have a level one obedience title in C-WAGS. C-WAGS is so new, I am not even sure AKC recognizes it. Whether they do or not, based on the rules (see below) I think we would enter A because I have never handled any dog that has earned an AKC Novice, Open, Utility title. Am I interpreting the rules correctly?

Section 1. Novice A Class. The Novice A class shall be for dogs that have not won the CD title. A handler must own the dog entered, or be a member of the owner’s household or immediate family, and may not have previously handled any dog that has earned an AKC Novice, Open, or Utility title. Owners may enter more than one dog in this class. The same person who handles the dog in the first four exercises must handle the dog in the group exercises; however, if a person has handled more than one dog in the first four exercises, that person must provide a handler for the additional dog in the same group exercise. The additional handler for the group exercise need not be a member of the owner’s household or immediate family. No dog may be entered in both Novice A and Novice B at any trial.

I have a friend that earned her RE at the Crown Classic in December. But the AKC revoked all legs because she entered A. She had gotten her RN and RA in the A class then got the CD on her dog and didn't realize that because they got the CD, she now had to enter the B class for RE and she got 3 qualifying scores, thought she had the title and they revoked them all. Can you imagine??? :'( I would cry if that happened to me!

Okay, I guess 2009 is off and running!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

ObedienceLabs4Me is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Novice A or B?

And you have gotten a CD from the UKC or CKC so you would be in Novice A. If you had gotten a CD title from the United Kennel Club or Canadian Kennel Club you would have had to be in B, just like if you decide to compete in them after you get your AKC CD you will have to be in B.
    Susan
    UCDX GRCH Dunn's Marsh Caleb of Waltona UDX3, OM3, RAE Canadian UD, RE
    FallRiver's Micah of Waltona GN RAE, Canadian CD, RN

www.labmed.org

Kinderwood is offline Senior Member

Actually, (and I stand corrected if wrong) since AKC doesn't recognize titles from other registries, you'd enter Novice A class unless you've put an AKC CD title on a dog. Maybe AKC titles are recognized in other registries, but unfortunately (or fortunately, depending on the situation) AKC doesn't recipricate. So, that means regardless if you've gotten a CD title in the UKC or CKC, you'd still enter Novice A until you've got an AKC CD.
    Darcy Litzinger
    Kinderwood Labradors
    Piper, Faith, Mocha & Pink

In Loving Memory:

HIT UCD Bel Air Blue Chip Of Kinderwood CD RE JH CGC "Blue" 06/25/06-04/26/10

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Okay, well, we don't have a CD in any registry. C-WAGs (Canine Work and Games) is a new registry that is just barely off the ground. They don't call any of their obedience titles "CD" but the obedience exersizes are pretty much the same but everything about C-WAGS is MUCH LESS FORMAL!!

So, since we only have rally titles in AKC and no CDs in AKC, UKC, CKC, I am thinking we should enter A.

Kinderwood is offline Senior Member

Yup, you should be clear to enter A then. Good luck!!
    Darcy Litzinger
    Kinderwood Labradors
    Piper, Faith, Mocha & Pink

In Loving Memory:

HIT UCD Bel Air Blue Chip Of Kinderwood CD RE JH CGC "Blue" 06/25/06-04/26/10

Canyon Labradors is offline Senior Member

Yup, you get one Nov. A in your lifetime....if you never had an AKC CD before, your in A until you get that title.