Tomorrow is the day!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tomorrow is the day!

diabolicalangel is offline Senior Member

DefaultTomorrow is the day!

So today is Casey's very last Wellness Core day and she will eat her final kibble meal tonight. I am excited and nervous at the same time. Last night I went to the store and bought chicken thighs, hearts and gizzards, livers, and a cornish game hen. After reading some posts on here again I think I will freeze the hearts and gizzards and livers and wait a while before feeding those. The game hen was on sale so I went ahead and picked it up for later. I need to go to Whole Foods so I can get some chicken necks or backs and I will get some chicken breast meat as well. I think this will really go well I am just going to need to adjust to planning and shopping for the food.
    Yi! I am excited! Wish me luck!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Baloo317 is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Tomorrow is the day!

Good luck!

Technically, the game hen is chicken (just a young'un!), so you should be OK to feed that starting out if you want.

Have fun!
    Kate
    Baloo - 5 year old black lab
    Peanut - 7 year old minpin
    Monster - 3-ish year old frenchie/jack, rescue
    We're Superdogs!

Well that is good to know about the game hen....I had no idea. I spent today packing things in freezer bags for the next week or so.
    Casey was watching me split up and package all this stuff and she looked quite perplexed.

Thanks!

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Oh should I buy a food scale to start out or just kind of eyeball the items to start out? I know the guideline is 2 percent of the dogs weight (please correct me if I am wrong). Casey weighs between 65-68 pounds right now.

I tried eyeballing when I first started and my minpin started looking more and more like a sausage... :surprise: So I bought a cheap food scale and weighed everything religiously and she slimmed down, I had been WAY overfeeding her... :embarrass:

So I think it's probably a good idea in the beginning, eventually you'll get really good at eyeballing, but it comes from weighing things for awhile.
    Kate
    We're Superdogs!

Peanut the sausage? Oh no! So glad you were able to turn that trend around. I will get a cheap scale. No chunky labs over here!
    Well the first meal today was a boneless chicken thigh and later this afternoon Casey will get a tasty whole chicken quarter. It seems like she slept more today but I don't know if that had anything to with her new diet this morning. I am sure there will be a detox period even though she was on a really good dog food.

Also, keep in mind, eating raw is a lot more work (in a GOOD way!) than eating kibble. It provides a jaw work out as well as mental stimulation because they have to think about the best way to eat it. So, it sorta makes sense that she'd be a little more tired. You'll probably start to notice that she builds more muscle around her neck/jaw area the longer she's on raw.

Here's an example of what I'm talking about, it's way easier to see on Peanut:

Before raw:

After approx. 6 months on raw:

I had to buy her a new collar.
    Kate
    We're Superdogs!

sarah is offline Senior Member

wow Kate the difference is amazing!!

I keep telling Dave that when we upgrade our fridge (our current one is SO tiny) then the current fridge will go into the garage and then I'll look into raw feeding for Milly, then I'll have a whole fridge/freezer to store her food in!!

DiabolicalAngel - I hope you go great on the raw feeding with Casey!! Would love to hear how it's going in a few months or so if you don't mind!
    Sarah & Milly - Sydney Australia

Kate,

thanks for posting those pics of Peanut's body development. You can definitely see the difference and she looks great! Casey had a great time eating that whole chicken quarter yesterday. You could see her wheels spinning on how to eat it and she crunched right thru those bones like she just knew the procedure. She was wondering why I was outside watching her from a distance! :suspious:
    I realized while she was eating her evening meal that I probably should have cut part of the breast off the piece because the entire meal was surely enough for the whole day (did not weigh it). That may have been part of the reason she slept all evening....food coma! But this is a learning experience for us both. And it makes sense that there is more energy expended to eat raw then kibble which is so easy for them to gobble up.

Sarah, hope you are able to get that new fridge so you will have more space for raw storage for Milly! It sounds like you really want to try this and I wish you luck in getting to that point for Miss Milly. And yes I will post on how Casey is doing with the new diet. It has been fun and helpful to read the other thread regarding Onyx and a new raw diet as well.

4Onyx is offline Member

Hey diabolicalangel, after reading your thread, you seem so relaxed about the whole start up, versus me, I feel more like a nervous reck, and I'm really not a nervous person at all!! But she's my little girl and I get a little worried I guess. Though I think I'm getting better, except for this morning I was a little nervous about the bone in poop- you'll see on the other thread!! Anyway, good luck!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast