Vet okay'ed raw diet!!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Vet okay'ed raw diet!!

4Onyx is offline Member

DefaultVet okay'ed raw diet!!

Okay, so I've been going back and forth on going forward with the raw. Anyways I called my vet today and asked her for her personal opinion and she said "I don't see anything wrong with it, I don't think it is really necessary but I don't see anything wrong with it. As long as you make sure you follow good guidelines, you should be okay." :gum: So I think I am going to start Onyx on the raw either this weekend or Monday!! I went to the grocery store and picked up some chicken wings, turkey wings, turkey necks, turkey backs, beef necks, gizzards, liver, ground turkey, and pig tails!! All pretty darn cheap too!! So I can't find the Mackeral anywhere and where do you purchase tripe?? Until I can get some deer tripe from my father-in-law, where would I get any??? Also what is your guys' opionion on feeding veggies. . . necessary or not?? Baloo, thanks for the reference to the Dogster forum!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Baloo317 is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Vet okay'ed raw diet!!

Yay!!

I get my tripe from a local butcher, but I have to ask specifically for GREEN tripe and assure them it is for my dogs (as it's illegal to sell green tripe on the "people food" market, it must be bleached first).

It's also best to start with one protein (usually chicken) and feed just that for a few weeks and then start adding in different proteins one at a time, slowly. Have fun!
    Kate
    Baloo - 5 year old black lab
    Peanut - 7 year old minpin
    Monster - 3-ish year old frenchie/jack, rescue
    We're Superdogs!

4Onyx is offline Member

Yeah I am excited to start. I think I am going to start with chicken and turkey wings and necks for like you said a few weeks.

I would want to start adding in one MM and OM at a time but during the fee weeks, right?? I wouldn't only feed the chicken/turkey wings/necks for a few weeks and then start adding MM and OM, would I???

I need to find a good butcher around here (Omaha NE) because I was at the grocery store the other day and they had out different turkey part like the wings, gizzards, necks, etc and I asked the butcher if they throw anything else out that they don't sell and then he asked why??? So I told him I am going to feed my dog a raw diet. He just looked at me and then said a few different comments, such as "you know them chicken bones are razer blade sharp, I don't know if you really want to feed your dog that" and "what shelf kibble is no good" and "I don't know if feeding raw is a very good idea". It was pretty funny. Anyways so needless to say I need to find a good butcher. Thanks

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

No, you'd just start with RMBs and MM from one protein source. So, if it's chicken you'd start by feeding chicken muscle meat (no bone), chicken bones (backs, necks, feet, etc). I'd probably wait a week or so and then start adding in the OM (chicken livers, maybe)

Then after a few more weeks, try adding a bit of turkey MM, maybe an RMB, then some turkey organs as well. After that beef, and the list goes on.

I almost envy people just starting out. it was SO much fun to watch the dogs experience things for the first time... *sigh*!
    Kate
    We're Superdogs!

4Onyx is offline Member

I was reading a site that was talking about how to start and it said to feed RMB from one source and the meat meal from another source for 2 weeks and then switch. I have also read a few sites that say to make the RMB and Meat meal and Organ meat all from the same source if possible. What are the reasons behind this- is it just to replicate the wild- at one sitting wolves would eat the RMB, MM, and OM from the same source??

Also, I read something that says to add veggies and then I read something that says not to add veggies and back and forth back and forth!!
    What are your personal opinions on veggies??

So that site states then at week 3 to switch RMB and continue with same MM and start adding veggie mix by starting at 2-4 teaspoons and over next few weeks increase to the amount you want to end up with. Also at week 3 it states to start adding supplements (fish oil/salmon oil (1) 1000mg capsule). What are your thoughts on supplements??

Week 4 says to swith RMB again and change meat meal to another meat, again different from RMB feeding.Add cold pressed olive oil for Vit E (1 teaspoon) and add vit C (500 mg).

What are your personal opinions on this plan?? Any input is greatly appreciated!!

I'm trying to find as much as possible and then sort of decide what plan works best for Onyx and myself.

When I switched, I fed one protein source for a few weeks (chicken) and then slowly started adding others, and it worked well for us. I've never heard of the switch-er-oo that one site talked about, I'd probably stay away from that, just asking for tummy upset if you ask me.

Eventually, once you've introduced slowly all the protein sources you want, you can mix them up however you want, it's just important to go slow in the beginning to give them a chance to adjust. For example, Baloo's dinner last night was a turkey drumstick, stewing pork and lamb liver.

To address the veggies question, you have to look at the two main "designs" of the raw diet; Prey model and BARF.

Here's a great article that explains the two:
    http://rawfed.com/myths/preymodel.html (keep in mind, this is written by a prey model feeder, so it's a wee bit biased. Gives the differences though, so a good read anyways)

I fall somewhere in between, I guess. I do supplement with fish oil and a pro-biotic (because of both dogs' "issues" they really do need it, I probably wouldn't otherwise... but maybe I would.... I guess I'll find out with my next dogs!). I feed veggies occasionally, sometimes using veggie baby food to stuff kongs with, etc, but not on a regular basis. The dogs get all berries (raspberries/blueberries/blackberries) that have gone too mushy for human consumption, and they get a bit of banana when I make my smoothies in the morning, just cause they love it.

Basically a big part of it is trial and error to find what works best for your individual dog, falling under the umbrella of what makes sense to you in terms of canine feeding ideologies, if that makes sense. There are tons of different styles and many "experts" who will tell you how you should feed, but what works best for your dog while still staying within what you deem acceptable is what to really focus on.

Hope that helps!
    Kate
    We're Superdogs!

Jackie is offline Senior Member

Really, a lot of it depends on your particular dog. I had Piper on several different kibbles before switching to raw, just because I was either trying to find something "better" or because she would turn up her nose at something and refuse to eat for days at a time. She had never had a bit of trouble with switching around, so I didn't bother with the slow introduction. When we started, I just gave her anything I could find when I could find it. She has some definite preferences, but hasn't had problems with anything so I would say that "worked" for her.

We don't do supplements. And we don't do fruits/veggies. Nothing against them, Piper just doesn't need them and it keeps things simpler for me not to add them.

Jackie

4Onyx is offline Member

Okay, so my plan is to feed chicken wings in the morning and cut up chicken breasts in the evening. One site I read said to add All Natural Yogurt to the evening meal. Thoughts???

Do I start really slow and just feed a couple wings in the morning or do I feed the full 2%?? She weights roughly 45 pounds so it would be 8.64 oz of RMB or the chicken wings.

Also when you say in a couple weeks to add in a new protein, would you recommend having the two together so in two weeks have say a couple chicken wings and a turkey neck or something of that sort??

I'm really nervous but I think I am starting tomorrow morning with the chicken wings in the AM and then cut up chicken breasts in the PM. Hopefully I get some input on the yogurt and will see if I will add that to the cut up chicken breasts in the PM.

Thanks!!

I've heard of yogurt both causing and curing digestive upset, so in all honesty I'd leave it out. Better to keep things streamlined in the beginning I think, that way *if* she does have some tummy problems at least you know what caused it.

I started with RMBs of new proteins if at all possible, because I found that helped with poops if lots of bone was included. So, I would go from feeding just chicken to one day instead of wings I'd give a turkey neck. Stuff like that. Keep in mind, I switched a dog with a very sensitive gut, so my experience is going to be a bit different than people who didn't have to worry so much. I also tend to operate from a "better safe than sorry" stance, which is why the gradual transition. Lots of people just switch with varied protein sources from the get-go and are fine, but on the chance that your dog's not one of them, better to be careful, I think.

Good luck, and have fun! No one told me how FUN raw feeding was before I switched, and it really is!! Once you get over the paranoia.
    Kate
    We're Superdogs!

4Onyx is offline Member

So I did it!!!! Onyx had her first total raw meal this morning consisting of 5 raw chicken wings. I was very proud and impressed with her as she did an excellent job of chewing all the bones up good before swallowing!! :surprise: Now, we'll see how her tummy will handle it!! Still nervous!!
    Okay, so for 2 weeks I will just feed chicken in AM and in PM and no organs yet!!?? I will switch meals though in AM having some days wings, some days breasts (bone in), some days thighs (bone in). Now in the PM, I will just feed chicken breasts and tenders (boneless). Anything I am not thinking of??? :suspious: So when you switched proteins, did you switch to the new protein and continue only with the new for another 2 weeks or did you go back and forth. I guess you would switch completely to the new protein for the full 2 weeks to see how her system will tolerate it and then do this for each different protein till all are introduced for a period of 2 weeks each and then start mixing them up??????? :suspious:

I will keep the yogurt out!! I am with you on the better safe then sorry!! I can see how this will be fun . . . after the paranois . . . which by the way, when does it go away!!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast