Tripe question
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tripe question

4Onyx is offline Member

DefaultTripe question

Ok so is Tripe just the stomach of animals or is it specific to cow stomach?? My father in law hunts deer, duck, geese, pheasants, quail, and rabbits. They process their own meat so I was wondering if Tripe is the stomach of animals, then could I use the guts from these animals that my father-in-law throws out when they process the meat, as Tripe in the diet?? Obviously if it is specific to cows, I'm in no luck as far as the Tripe goes.

Either way, is the guts of the above animals a good part of the raw diet?? Would I have to do anything to them?? I do get a little worried about the bacteria but I know the dog's digestive system can handle this, I still worry a little.

I did ask my father-in-law to start freezing the bones and carcasses of the above animals except for the deer bones. So I have a variety there!! Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Baloo317 is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Tripe question

I would take the deer tripe, and the rest I would request the whole thing.

Really though, bird stomachs are teeny tiny, really not worth the time it takes to process. Not sure about the rest of the "innards", but I would imagine they'd be the equivalent to chicken "gizzards", so why not?
    Kate
    Baloo - 5 year old black lab
    Peanut - 7 year old minpin
    Monster - 3-ish year old frenchie/jack, rescue
    We're Superdogs!

4Onyx is offline Member

Thanks Baloo, I love the new picture!!
    So Tripe is just any animals stomach which includes the whole stomach and intestines????

When you said, "bird stomachs are teeny tiny, really not worth the time it takes to process" what do you mean 'to process'. What has to be done to them before I could feed them to Onyx?

Also, in regards to the deer tripe, I could use this as the tripe that is always mentioned for the raw diet?? And do I have to do something to it?? My father in law just said when they are processing the meat on the animal and keeping what they want, they just throw out the "guts, bones, and hide". Can I just give it to them as they give it to me?? I wonder how sanitary they are though????? That could be an issue, huh??? Thanks!

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Baloo317 is offline Senior Member

Tripe I believe refers to just the stomach, not the intestines. It may even be just the stomach lining, I'm not sure....

I know that green tripe is valuable because of all the nutrients, but also because it's a natural source of probiotics. Something about the diet of the ruminant (constant grazing) makes the tripe this way, but I'm honestly not sure how that process works. I would imagine that because deer don't graze as much as cattle that their tripe isn't quite *as* much of a nutritional powerhouse, but I could be wrong.

And by processing I just meant the time it takes to cut it out, basically, the actual "tripe" will only be maybe a few ounces or so, I would imagine. That and birds aren't ruminants, obviously, so their tripe wouldn't have the same nutritional value.

I'd still take it for variety's sake, personally, sounds like you have a great source there. I would just see what else is out there so that you have LOTS of great sources!
    Kate
    Baloo - 5 year old black lab
    Peanut - 7 year old minpin
    Monster - 3-ish year old frenchie/jack, rescue
    We're Superdogs!

4yelloweyedogs is offline Senior Member

I agree, tripe is the stomach... and it's the stomach from ruminating animals that you want.... here is a good explanation, I've copied from another website

"Tripe is the stomach of ruminating animals. These animals (i.e. cattle, buffalo, sheep, deer, goats, antelope, etc.) are classified as being four-footed, hooved, cud chewing mamals with a stomach that consists of four chambers. The four chambers of such a stomach are known as the rumen, reticulum, omasum and the abomasum. The food the animal eats (i.e. grass, hay) is swallowed unchewed and passes into the rumen and reticulum where it is then regurgitated, chewed and mixed with saliva. It is again swallowed and then passed through the reticulum and omasum into the abomasum, where it is then further broken down by the gastric juices, amino acids and other digestive enzymes. Yummy! "
    He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.

http://theyelloweyedog.weebly.com/

4Onyx is offline Member

Thanks 4yelloweyedogs, did that sight you got the Tripe definition from say anything about if 'Tripe' is just one of the parts of the stomach or is it the whole stomach? I think if I can get my father-in-law to just chop all the guts up for me, I will just mix it in with some ground meat and veggie pulp and that should be good for that part of the diet??? This way I shouldn't need to get the "green tripe' separately, or do you think I still need the 'green' tripe???
    What is the difference of the 'green' tripe??
    Do I need to worry to much about the sanitation of how they are tearing out the guts and handling them??? If I just ask them to put it in baggies and freeze it I should be good, shouldn't I????

Sorry for the multitude of questions, I just want to make sure I have everything covered before I start feeding Onyx raw. I want to make sure she will be getting everything she needs from what I will feed her.

Fallriver is offline Senior Member

The tripe will be the green part, it will make sense when he goes in. Yes, you only want the stomach of ruminants, not the birds. The birds however, you could just feed whole, guts and all. :scare:
    Dana

To err is human:To forgive, canine."
    - Anonymous

4Onyx is offline Member

So I was at the store (Wal-Mart) today and they had Beef Honeycomb Tripe and Beef Blanched Tripe. It was not green, it was white and just looked like a large piece of lard!! Is the Beef Honeycomb Tripe okay to feed as the tripe talked about for the raw diet??

Fallriver is offline Senior Member

There is little point in feeding the bleached store tripe. You need to contact the big wholesale meat cutters and slaughterhouses yourself to get tripe and to get a good deal. It is a bit of a human health hazard so it can be a little tricky to find but not too hard. It is loaded with B vitamins however and well worth the effort:

No guts no glory!!
    Dana

To err is human:To forgive, canine."
    - Anonymous

diabolicalangel is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by FallRiver
    There is little point in feeding the bleached store tripe. You need to contact the big wholesale meat cutters and slaughterhouses yourself to get tripe and to get a good deal. It is a bit of a human health hazard so it can be a little tricky to find but not too hard. It is loaded with B vitamins however and well worth the effort:

No guts no glory!!
    :vomit: :vomit:
    I am not even going to think about this stuff yet. Good luck with tripe 4Onyx!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast