digestion time

Thread: digestion time

4Onyx is offline Member

Defaultdigestion time

Since the digestion time for raw is 4-5 hours, would that mean that dogs would have more BM on raw then on kibble?? On while husband and I are at work so I was curious if this will mess her up if she has to go more frequently. Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

4Onyx is offline Member

DefaultRe: digestion time

Original message did not post right; not sure what I did!! It is missing that Onyx does not get out during the day while my husband and I are at work and that is why I wondered if the raw diet would mess her up. Thanks

Fallriver is offline Senior Member

Dogs are creatures of habit and if she has the same routine, I wouldn't worry. Having said that, I wouldn't want my dogs to have to hold it for 8 or 9 hours in any event and would look for someone to let her out during the day.
    Dana

To err is human:To forgive, canine."
    - Anonymous

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Baloo317 is offline Senior Member

Baloo poops much less on raw. Processing time is less, yes, BUT more of the food is utilized and so less gets dumped in the 'waste receptacle', as it were.

And I agree with the creatures of habit comment. Baloo always poops on our morning walk, always in around the same spot. Usually he only poops once a day, but some days he'll go again on our evening walk, but not often. On the days after we've been to the barn he poops numreous times, thanks to eating copious amounts of horse poo. :vomit:

I wouldn't decide against raw for that reason.
    Kate
    Baloo - 5 year old black lab
    Peanut - 7 year old minpin
    Monster - 3-ish year old frenchie/jack, rescue
    We're Superdogs!

4yelloweyedogs is offline Senior Member

I wouldn't worry about it either..... they do poop less , on raw, and we leave our dogs at home while we are at work, or 8 or 9 hours and they never run out and poop as soon as we get home and let them out...
    He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.

http://theyelloweyedog.weebly.com/

4Onyx is offline Member

Thanks for the responses- I appreciate it. I am leaning on starting the raw diet I am just a little nervous and then to pile on my nerves I keep coming across people against it. I'm still doing my research. I'm really just nervous about the bones part and any bacteria that comes with the raw meat.

Baloo317 is offline Senior Member

There's a really great raw feeding forum on Dogster that you should check out, it's a little more "busy" than this one just because there's more new people, I think. 

Linky: http://www.dogster.com/forums/Raw_Food_Diet
    Kate
    Baloo - 5 year old black lab
    Peanut - 7 year old minpin
    Monster - 3-ish year old frenchie/jack, rescue
    We're Superdogs!