Bones question

Thread: Bones question

4Onyx is offline Member

DefaultBones question

So I am going to try the raw diet. I read to start with just a few turkey/chicken necks or backs for a week and then add more as I go. So I gave my 7 month old female lab mix a turkey neck tonite and she chewed it and crunched the bones and then swallowed it. The neck started at about 4 inches long and when she swallowed it it was about 2 inches long. I watched her and she did crunch all the bones in the whole thing.
    So my question is when dogs eat RMB like wings, necks, backs, etc., how much should she chew it and should it be in smaller bite size chunks?? I am really nervous about the bones part of the raw diet. Any encouragement and advise will be much appreciated. Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

henrysmom is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Bones question

It sounds like she's doing okay, but if you're afraid of her gulping it, you can feed them partially frozen. That way they *have* to chew it down. I have a gulper here, so I probably wouldn't cut it up into bite sized chunks, because he wouldn't chew it at all. If I leave necks whole, and partly frozen, he has to work at it, you know?
    Gorsebrook Jackson Triggs, CD, RN, WC, CGN<br />Kelrobin A Twist of Fate<br /><br />

4Onyx is offline Member

Yeah I had the neck frozen and then took it out just before we went for our walk (about 15-20 min) and then gave it to her when we got back, so it probably was able to thaw out a little. I will try just giving it to her straight from the freezer next time.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Fallriver is offline Senior Member

Dogs gulp because they are made to gulp. If they ingest a piece that is too big, they will reguritate it. Dogs only need to chew enough to get it down the gullet...if it stays down, they are chewing enough.
    Dana

To err is human:To forgive, canine."
    - Anonymous

Baloo317 is offline Senior Member

Agree with FR, Peanut is my scary gulper, she literally only chews until it's small enough to swallow, and then she swallows it. Sometimes she looks like a little snake, scares the crap out of me.&#160;

But, she has yet to bring anything back up later, so she's doing something right.&#160; &#160; Occasionally she'll try to swallow and it's still too big, so it comes back, more chewing, swallow again!&#160; :whatever:

Wanted to add, I read somewhere that frozen bones can splinter like cooked ones, so I always try to make sure meals are most if not all the way thawed.
    Kate
    Baloo - 5 year old black lab
    Peanut - 7 year old minpin
    Monster - 3-ish year old frenchie/jack, rescue
    We're Superdogs!