Whole Prey Provider

Thread: Whole Prey Provider

TinaandTribe is offline Member

DefaultWhole Prey Provider

Hi, I currently feed RMB'S, MM,Green Tripe,Liver,Heart,Kidneys and Tongue from fresh beef. I grind it up to a hamburger and package it in non-edible labeling. For myself I do not package it, but I get such an excess supply that I sell it as well. Now I am thinking of adding whole prey rabbit. I have looked online for a supplier here on the West coast, and the only one I found has a LONG waiting list. So, I am looking for input. Should I offer it in a variety of ways, such as ground, whole/with fur (never cut), skinned with visera removed and leave the heart,liver and lungs in. How many of you feed rabbit, how popular is it? Tell me what you like about feeding rabbit.
    Thanks for your input, Tina

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

ObedienceLabs4Me is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Whole Prey Provider

Hare Today Gone Tomorrow does some whole prey stuff. Depends on where you live is the shipping would be too much.
    Susan
    UCDX GRCH Dunn's Marsh Caleb of Waltona UDX3, OM3, RAE Canadian UD, RE
    FallRiver's Micah of Waltona GN RAE, Canadian CD, RN

www.labmed.org

Baloo317 is offline Senior Member

I love feeding rabbit, both dogs do really well on it. The issue for me is that I actually have three pet rabbits, and so the rabbits I buy for the dogs must be skinned and cleaned, preferably with no heads. So that they don't *really* look like rabbits anymore. I can get a pretty good deal on whole rabbits for $2/pound, but I just can't do it.
    Kate
    Baloo - 5 year old black lab
    Peanut - 7 year old minpin
    Monster - 3-ish year old frenchie/jack, rescue
    We're Superdogs!

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

YellowLabProject is offline Senior Member

I feed whole prey rabbit w/ skin and head, intact. But there was and still is some adjustment, they will be eating the intestinal track and all it conveys... :-)

Tiegan does okay w/ it. I feed it once a week, 1 to 1.5 lb size rabbits. Anything bigger and she loses interest. Also I have to make a slice in the rabbit to get her to know what to do. My thought on this is Lab's motor pattern is to chase, catch, retrieve. Not to eat... so a little help in necessary.

I get mine from Stafford, VA. I don't think she ships, but I can find out if you would like.

Doug
    www.ecboardco.com

4yelloweyedogs is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by YellowLabProject
    I feed whole prey rabbit w/ skin and head, intact. But there was and still is some adjustment, they will be eating the intestinal track and all it conveys... :-)

Tiegan does okay w/ it. I feed it once a week, 1 to 1.5 lb size rabbits. Anything bigger and she loses interest. Also I have to make a slice in the rabbit to get her to know what to do. My thought on this is Lab's motor pattern is to chase, catch, retrieve. Not to eat... so a little help in necessary.

I get mine from Stafford, VA. I don't think she ships, but I can find out if you would like.

Doug
    did you find out if she ships ?
    He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.

http://theyelloweyedog.weebly.com/

YellowLabProject is offline Senior Member

I will check today.... and get back to you
    www.ecboardco.com