Raw led to seizures?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Raw led to seizures?

RachelR is offline Junior Member

DefaultRaw led to seizures?

Hello....I have a 6 year Lab whos been on a raw diet for 8 months. Today for the first time, completely out of the blue, he had a seizure.

First his legs went, then he got real stiff, fell over, he came out and had another one where he went to the bathroom all over himself. I was as you can imagine completely hysterical, I didnt know what was happening. I rushed him to the vet and they took blood, did an EKG, urine test, and took his blood pressure. His blood pressure was a little low, and I get the rest of the results tomorrow.

We went over all the things that couldve brought this on. I dont use pesticides in or around my home, I dont have any plants, theres no metals or anything hes exposed to.

The doctor thinks its weird he is popping up with this now at 6, he says usually epilepsy comes on at 2 or 3.

Is there anyway the raw diet has unbeknowst to myself made him ill and is causing this?

I feed him a combination of chicken quarters, tripe, chicken liver, gizzards, pork necks once a week, chicken backs, pork hearts, duck feet and legs.

Any help is appreciated.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

brody is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Raw led to seizures?

I'd be more likely to think he has had a few minor seizures that have been missed - some dogs seize pretty infrequently

While I don't feed raw at the moment I do follow discussions on raw carefully - epilepsy and raw is not a connection I'm familiar with

in fact if anything I'd say people recommend raw or home preped diets to help with the problem

hang in there- it's a very very scary thing to see
    http://andrea-agilityaddict.blogspot.com/

“I am only one, but still I am one. I cannot do everything, but still I can do something; and because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do something that I can do.” H. Keller

millstonekennel is offline Senior Member

Did you have CBC/CHEM Profile and/ or a full thyroid panel done? If not I would. A low thyroid can lead to seizures.
    Alicia

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

jlab Guest

I would agree with the other posters. Here's some further info on low thyroid function and seizures:

One of the simplest and least expensive tests to have done, which could possibly reduce or stop seizures, is a test for low thyroid function or hypothyroidism. I have found from experience that thyroid testing is very important in every case of canine epilepsy.

Dr. William Thomas, a board-certified neurologist, had this to say about thyroid testing:

1. Thyroid testing should be considered in any dog with recurrent seizures. Although the relationship between hypothyroidism and recurrent seizures is unclear, thyroid testing is relatively inexpensive and carries little risk to the patient.

2. In general, any dog that is diagnosed with hypothyroidism by appropriate testing should be treated with thyroid replacement therapy. This applies to all dogs, whether or not they suffer seizures. If the seizures improve with thyroid therapy, then great! If not, the patient should still be treated because hypothyroidism can cause many other health problems.

3. Thyroid replacement therapy is not indicated in dogs with seizures if the patient has *not* been diagnosed with hypothyroidism. There are potential risks associated with any therapy, so subjecting the patient to unnecessary treatment is rarely a good idea. On the other hand, appropriate use of thyroid medication is one of the more safe and effective treatments available in veterinary medicine.

4. Many illnesses as well as some drugs, including Phenobarbital, will lower the level of certain thyroid hormones (for example, T4) without causing clinically significant hypothyroidism. Thyroid replacement therapy is not indicated in these instances. Measurement of a T4 concentration alone does not allow discrimination between true hypothyroidism and the effects of drugs and illnesses. In these patients diagnosis of hypothyroidism requires measurement of several different parameters of thyroid function ("thyroid panel").

Sincerely,

WB Thomas DVM
    Dipl.ACVIM(Neurology)
    University of Tennessee
    Knoxville, TN

http://www.canine-epilepsy-guardian-...anneCarson.htm

The bill says "T4 FREE T-4 TSH Thyroid Auto Ab's - $170.00"

So thats the thyroid test I assume. They also did a "Super Chem CBC"

Quote Originally Posted by conrad
    I'd be more likely to think he has had a few minor seizures that have been missed - some dogs seize pretty infrequently

While I don't feed raw at the moment I do follow discussions on raw carefully - epilepsy and raw is not a connection I'm familiar with

in fact if anything I'd say people recommend raw or home preped diets to help with the problem

hang in there- it's a very very scary thing to see
    You know, after seeing the seizure yesterday, it was very hard for me to believe these came out of nowhere and I didnt witness something prior.

It hit me last night. In april of 07, he started having these episodes where only at night, he'd stare at the wall and act very nervous. He was always conscious, responsive and awake so I never associated it with anything neurological. I thought maybe he heard thunder in the distance that I couldnt hear. He did it a few times and never again, and now I read online, staring at a wall can be the first stage of seizures.

You're right. And this was way before I fed him raw.

I just feel bad, I thought if I brought him into a vet theyd think I was nuts that the dog stared at the wall for a few seconds.

jlab Guest

Did you get the thyroid test results yet?

His thyroid panel was 100% normal. His bloodwork was perfect and the report on the EKG is there is nothing going on with his heart that wouldve caused the seizure. His urine was normal, no crystals or anything. He did say the PH was slightly high tho, he said maybe it was due to diet.

I told the dr that I remembered these staring at the walls episodes a year and a half ago, and he says that actually makes more sense and he feels better about my dogs case because epilepsy does pop up around 3 or 4. He was a little concerned about sudden seizures at 6.

Hes on 3 ML of potassium bromide a day and we re check his blood in 12 weeks.

millstonekennel is offline Senior Member

The bill says "T4 FREE T-4 TSH Thyroid Auto Ab's - $170.00"
    Now that's big markup. http://www.dcpah.msu.edu/Bin/Catalog...Canine&Id=2174
    Alicia

We are in New York City. The place is an animal hospital, very expensive.

If they give your pet a needle, they charge a 3.00$ "medical waste disposal fee"

Worth here around these parts to have someone who knows what their doing. I was going to a local vet who overdosed my cat on ringworm meds and shut his liver down. Cost a grand to keep him from dying.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast