Auggie passes the DUCK test for Cushing's / going alternative

Thread: Auggie passes the DUCK test for Cushing's / going alternative

talleyJudy is offline Senior Member

DefaultAuggie passes the DUCK test for Cushing's / going alternative

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." author Will Rogers

Auggie 12/29/95 ~ 01/15/09

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

jlab Guest

DefaultRe: Auggie passes the DUCK test for Cushing's / going alternative

Judy,

This is good news for Auggie. Now you know what it is and can start a treatment. It sounds like you have an excellent holistic vet who's treating her.

Have you considered a species appropriate (raw food) diet for Auggie in conjunction with the treatment? A raw food diet could optimize successful treatments and maintain good health once she recovers. Has your holistic vet mentioned a change in her diet?

I bet you feel somewhat relieved now that you know the cause of her problems. Good job in finding the right people for both diagnosis and treatment. I'm sure it was very difficult and I'm sure Auggie is very grateful.

Tia
    Tia is offline Senior Member

Just wanted to say, good for you for going the alternative route! I have been taking Gauge to a holistic vet for his IBS/Colitis and I can definitely say he's improved almost back to 100%. Nothing as serious as your situation, however I have felt better treating holistically rather than conventionally...which in my case would have been steroids.

I do second the raw diet...and jlab, didn't you have a dog that was diagnosed with cancer around that age and then you switched him to raw, and he lived another 5 years? Not saying that raw is the magic cure, but I do think it provides the nutrition/enzymes the body needs to help fight things.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

jlab Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Tia
    I do second the raw diet...and jlab, didn't you have a dog that was diagnosed with cancer around that age and then you switched him to raw, and he lived another 5 years? Not saying that raw is the magic cure, but I do think it provides the nutrition/enzymes the body needs to help fight things.
    A different kind of cancer. I had a female black lab that was diagnosed with bone cancer at 13 years old. Among many other things, the holistic vet I went to immediately put her on a raw diet. Not only did she live to be 19 years old but her quality of life was much higher: Arthritus went away, energy level went up, she was able to fully exercise every day, the large lump in her mouth went away, etc.

The raw diet was part of the regimen that worked for me. I think it's a least something a holistic vet should consider - the up side is potentially tremendous and it certainly couldn't hurt.

talleyJudy is offline Senior Member

Strangely enough my consulting alternative vet has not suggested a raw diet. We have discussed Auggie's current diet which is primarily Innova EVO. He said that was very good and would like me to switch her to the Reduced Fat EVO because of her new Cushing's syndrome, and then up the amount of Flax Oil lignans. Although I strongly suspect he would be thrilled if I brought up the subject of raw.

So now it is up to me to embark on the initial learning process of going raw and to find available sources. I am starting from square 1 here......

I am also a bit hesitant to "rock the boat" because since Auggie's splenectomy 6Ocrt.'06, and diagnosis of hepatocellular carcinoma, Auggie has not thrown up once and has had absolutely no diarrhea.

But I do realize that "all things being equal" that a species appropriate raw diet is the best way to go.

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." author Will Rogers

Auggie 12/29/95 ~ 01/15/09

4yelloweyedogs is offline Senior Member

That makes for a tough choice.... I too would hate to rock the boat. BUT if you are going to switch foods anyhow, I'd certainly start researching if I were in your shoes. Maybe you should mention raw to your vet.... ask him about your concerns.

He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.

http://theyelloweyedog.weebly.com/