Concearned, please advise...
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Concearned, please advise...

Apollopuppy is offline Senior Member

DefaultConcearned, please advise...

So I FINALLY convinced my father to offer his Golden (Luke) some raw food.

I had him feed Luke a raw chicken back for his lunch. I told my dad to be sure and not feed kibble and raw and the same meal, to really space the two meals out (and he did). I also cut off the extra skin/fat off of the chicken backs so that luke wouldnt get the runs too bad.

Well the other day my dad gave Luke his first back. Luke chomped it up into like 3-4 pieces (says my dad) and ate it with no issues. Luke had the chicken for lunch at like 3pm, then he had his kibble late that night for dinner.

That night (around 9pm) Luke had REALLY bad runny poop. He had to go out again at 2am that night and he had runny poop again. Then this morning (6am) he pooped AGAIN (again runny). My dad fed him his kibble for breakfast, another chicken back for lunch, and then kibble again for dinner (about 6 hours after the raw). My father is concearned because Luke has not pooped since 6am this morning.

Now I havent had a doggy in over a year, and I cant remember if a dog not pooping since 6am (when its going on 8pm here) is a bad sign

I was worried that it was possible that Luke got a blockage (or a partial blockage) from the back since he chewed it into 3-4 pieces. I feed ferrets and cats and they take tiny bites, so I've never had an issue is them getting blockages on raw bone. But are dogs different?

It took me over a year to get my dad to let his dog try Raw, Im worried that something might have gone wrong and that now my dad will have to take Luke to the vet for a blockage or something like that

What is everyone's thoughts on this? Again, he pooped at 9pm last night (after eating kibble breakfast, raw back for lunch, kibble for dinner) 2 am and 6am (this morning) since his last BM he has had kibble, then a back, then kibble, but has not pooped. I am assuming Luke usually poops more then this, because my dad called me and seemed slightly concearned. I told my dad to hold off on offering any more backs for right now until he poops again. Still worried because luke hasnt pooped. Dad says he's been "moping around" all day (doesnt sound good )

Help!
    Love,<br />Giuli<br /><br />

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: Concearned, please advise...

I wanted to note that Luke had diareha BEFORE my dad offered the back. Could it be possible that the high bone (fiber) content of the back just made him constipated (and not necessarily a blockage)?

What would you do for constipation (if this were the case)?

Gosh I am just biting my nails right now. I reall hope he is just constipated and not blocked.

So I asked my dad is Luke is straining when he takes him out to go potty and he said "No, he doesnt even try to go potty" Hmmm.....if he was constipated or having issues wouldnt he ATLEAST be straining to poop

My dad says he normally poops about 3 times per day (he's pooped 1 time this morning).

And as for him moping around, i am starting to wonder if that is because he's had diarhea the last day or so (again this happened BEFORE the chicken was introduced) maybe he's slightly dehydrated and he just feels crappy?

Im starting to feel a tad better. I asked my dad to feel lukes stomach (does if feel hard? Swollen? Disdended?) and he said "nope, it feels fine and he doesnt wince or anything when I touch it".

So now Im wondering if maybe Im just a big worry wart

I raw feed my cat and ferrets (and have for 2 years now, and in fact I run my own natural feeding ferret forum. so Im certainly not new to natural diets) its just the raw feeding DOGS that I am semi-new too. I only raw fed Apollo for about a month before Sam and I broke up (and Sam took Apollo). So forgive me if Im freaking out over nothing.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Just spoke with Dad, he said that Luke was active and playing (a little less energetic then normal, but still playing) up until about 7pm today. He said he tried to take him outside tonight to go potty and luke REFUSED to get up and go out the door :no:

My dad also mentioned that the day before yesterday, he switched Luke's food from "puppy" to adult food. He is on blue buffallo food (chicken and rice?) he said he didnt switch the flavor, just the "life stage".

The fact that Luke wouldnt go outside to pee OR poop has me worried. My dad will take him out again at 2am, and then again in the morning. I am pray this dog will poop. I dont know why this is happening :'( I've tried looking up what to do for a constipated dog. I saw that you can add mineral oil (2tsp per meal up to 2x per day for no more then 1 week) to help. I've also seen it advised to add some veggies (canned green beans), raw liver, or pureed pumpkin but my dad doesnt want to introduce any new food items since Luke is kind of jacked up right now, and I agree, I dont want to put any unecessary foods into him. I dont want to jack him up anymore.

My biggest concearn, honestly, is that if Luke ate a chicken back for lunch and has not pooped since, I worry that if he is constipated that it (the chicken) will be in his system longer then its supposed to and that it will make him sick.

Any thoughts, comments, ideas? I was feeling less worried earlier (as you can see from my post) but now im nervous again. I wish my dad wouldnt have given Luke a SECOND chicken back today. i TOLD him to call me and let me know how things went after the FIRST back (but I only recieved a call after he'd given Luke 2 backs and then was experiencing some issuesPLUS I told him to hold the chicken back in his hand and have Luke chew off pieces (so that he wouldnt swallow and pieces that are too big) he said he started to do this but then he was worried Luke would bite him (my dad) on accident because he (luke) was so excited about the back :whatever: ) I REALLY wish he would have listened to everything I said.

Can ANY of the raw dog feeders on here PLEASE offer advice? I am honestly VERY worried and I dont have a clue how to help him if he is constipated (or god forbid, blocked). :scare:

jlab Guest

It doesn't sound like blockage. With blockage, Luke's personality would totally change, all he'd want to do would to be left alone and lay down. He would be straining a BM but nothing would come out. He would refuse to eat anything even his most favorite food. He'd be throwing up or trying to throw up with nothing or just a nasty liquid coming up.

It sounds like from the loose stools that too much raw food was introduced too quickly and with kibble still in the digestive tract.

If Luke was my dog, I would fast him for 24 hours and then introduce small bite size raw chicken peices spaced a few hours apart throughout the next day. I'd ditch the kibble entirely - it's just making things more difficult.

Remember loose stools are common when going to raw or any new food. It's typical for the loose stools to last for a couple days before firming up.

Chicken backs have more bone and it takes longer for the bone residue to clear the GI track - I'd estimate a day before seeing boney stools from chicken backs. It might be easier to start with chicken breasts or even boneless chicken the first day if you want more frequent bowel movements at first.

Oh thank god! A response!

Okay, here is the timeline of the last two days:

3pm (2 days ago): Dad feeds luke chicken back
    9pm (2days ago): Dad feeds luke kibble
    9:15(ish)pm: Dad takes Luke out, he has explosive diarehha
    2am (1 day ago): Luke has more explosive poop
    6am(1day ago): Luke has more poop (runny)
    7am(1 day ago): Luke eats kibble
    3pm(1 day ago): Luke eats another back
    7pm (1 day ago): Luke has been playing all day (a bit less active then usual, but playing) then around 7pm he starts to "mope" and my father can't even force Luke outside (this concearns me)
    9pm (1 day ago): Luke eats kibble
    10pm (1 day ago): Luke hasnt pooped all day and refuses to go outside and poop (my dad cant even force him to get out the door. He puts luke's leash on and luke goes back to the couch

My concearn is why is Luke REFUSING to leave the house?

Also, I WISH my father would ditch the kibble all together but (for now atleast) its a no go. I had to convice him, just to add 1 raw meal per day (and trust me that took over a YEAR to get him to even do that! :whatever: )

So you say fast him for 24 hours then feed him a bit of boneless raw chicken? I told my dad to not feed Luke until he pooped (kibble OR backs). I will let him know.

jlab Guest

I really think the problem is the interspersed kibble meals. It takes a long time to get through their system and it interacts with the raw.

The 24 hour fast will give Luke's digestive system a rest and help clear everything out so he can start over.

Perhaps someone can post who has had success transitioning to raw while still feeding kibble. I know people on the board who've talked about doing it that way but I can't recall how successful they've been. I know that in the other raw forums I'm on, that's always been the most difficult way to transition their dogs to raw.

Baloo317 is offline Senior Member

Hmm. First, I think he's feeding kibble and raw way too close together. Volhard says in her book that kibble takes ~17 hours to digest, raw food ~4-5. So if he feeds him kibble in the morning, no WAY is it cleared out before the raw lunch, and then he gets packed back up with kibble in the evening.... not good, IMO. If he's going to do half raw half kibble, one of the kibble meals needs to go.

I'm not a vet, but sounds to me like a bad case of indigestion. I'd go ahead with the pumpkin, as it really can't hurt. If he starts vomiting, refusing to eat or straining to poo, then it's vet time.

Kate
    Baloo - 5 year old black lab
    Peanut - 7 year old minpin
    Monster - 3-ish year old frenchie/jack, rescue
    We're Superdogs!

jlab Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Apollopuppy
    10pm (1 day ago): Luke hasnt pooped all day and refuses to go outside and poop (my dad cant even force him to get out the door. He puts luke's leash on and luke goes back to the couch

My concearn is why is Luke REFUSING to leave the house?
    Is Luke refusing to leave the house because he doesn't need to poop. That would be ok - if he doesn't need to go, then he doesn't need to go.

Does he still want to play? Is he drinking normally? Does he still want to eat?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast