Tripe/Raw Feeders Need some advice.

Thread: Tripe/Raw Feeders Need some advice.

RangerMom is offline Senior Member

DefaultTripe/Raw Feeders Need some advice.

I've been toying with the idea of feeding tripe to the dogs in addition to their typical kibble (ProPlan). What is pushing me in this direction is how Reggie is looking these days. He is getting older (12 yrs this year) and has started to lose muscle mass and look a little thin. Rather than just increasing the amount of kibble, I have been thinking that he needs something nutritious to in essence bulk him up. I had been discussing tripe with a friend of mine after the Whole Dog Article this month and thought I'd give it a try. I thought I'd order some from Hare Today.

Now for the questions..

Do you think that this would work to give him the vitamins, etc that he may need or should I be looking for something else? What do you think of a part tripe/part kibble diet? Any suggestions on how to make the switch or things I should be careful of?

TIA,
    Jeanne

Blackie and Ranger ...............................Reggie: 1996-2010 "Fly Reggie Fly"

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

jlab Guest

DefaultRe: Tripe/Raw Feeders Need some advice.

Quote Originally Posted by Rangermom
    Do you think that this would work to give him the vitamins, etc that he may need or should I be looking for something else?
    Yes, tripe has excellent nutritional value and provides all the basic vitamins, etc.

What do you think of a part tripe/part kibble diet? Any suggestions on how to make the switch or things I should be careful of?
    That's sorta like asking what people think of a part fresh foods/part fast foods diet for humans. The fresh foods part are healthy, the fast foods part are not. But hey, a partly healthy food diet (tripe) for a dog is better than having the diet made up wholly of unhealthy food (kibble).

One suggestion if you do go with a part tripe/part kibble diet: DO NOT MIX THE TWO IN THE SAME MEAL. Kibble and tripe digest a different rates and will likely cause continuous stomach upsets. Either feed the kibble one day and the tripe the next or tripe in the morning and kibble for the evening meal.

Once you see how well your lab does on tripe, I think you'll want to go to a totally raw diet.

Good luck!

Thanks for the advice. Another question though. How much to feed a day or in one meal? Right now I feed 2x mornings and evenings.

Blackie and Ranger ...............................Reggie: 1996-2010 "Fly Reggie Fly"

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

jlab Guest

Thanks for the advice. Another question though. How much to feed a day or in one meal? Right now I feed 2x mornings and evenings.
    Will you be feeding tripe to both your labs? If so, how old is your other lab? What is their activity level (low, moderate, high)? How much do they currently weigh? Do you want each one to lose weight, gain weight or stay at the same weight?

I have one lab who is 12 (62 lbs) and one who is 8 (70 lbs). Activity low to moderate. And to make it easy let's say, that I want them to maintain weight.

jlab Guest

I have one lab who is 12 (62 lbs) and one who is 8 (70 lbs). Activity low to moderate. And to make it easy let's say, that I want them to maintain weight.
    If you get the 1 lb bags (3 cups per bag), then:

12 yo (62 lbs): 1 cup (1/3 of bag) per meal or 2 cups (2/3 of bag) per day
    8 yo (70 lbs): 1.5 cups (1/2 of bag) per meal or 3 cups (1 bag) per day

Thanks JLab. I just needed a ball park in my mind. I'll let you all know how it goes.