Received our first tripe order !!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Received our first tripe order !!

4yelloweyedogs is offline Senior Member

DefaultReceived our first tripe order !!

I ordered from Hare Today.... ground tripe with kidneys..... I ordered a 30 lb. case. It was shipped from Pa on Monday arrived here in Vermont Wednesday, still frozen, hard as a rock !! I left it on the counter over night and all day today, to defrost. I got some of it put into baggies, and in the freezer. About 1/3 is still frozen. I have to say, that this stuff stinks to hiiiiiiigh heavens !! But I just know the dogs are going to love it !! Now, I need to go take a shower !!

He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.

http://theyelloweyedog.weebly.com/

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

jlab Guest

DefaultRe: Received our first tripe order !!

You mean ground tripe with spleen? I don't think they have it mixed with kidney.

When I get tripe, I order 51 one pound packages which puts the total shipping weight at the maximum of 66lbs. You pay the same shipping cost per box whether it's 30 lbs or 66 lbs.

It's a little more expensive to buy the one pound packages but much more convenient - no need to separate it all out by hand. Just put a few in the refridgerator to slowly thaw out (~ 3 days) and freeze the rest until needed.

You're right about the smell. It really is pungent. The batch I got last week was particularly nasty!

I stand corrected, yes it's spleen NOT kidney..... I guess I had kidney on the brain for some reason ! LOL !

That's good to know about the 1 lb. packages.... I think I may opt for that the next time, because it was really messy putting portions into freezer zip lock bags...... I still had the center core that was froze solid so I had to let it sit one more day before I could finish getting it put in freezer bags......

Thanks for the tip !

Melissa
    He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

imported_LuckyGirl is offline Senior Member

I am seriously considering switching to this diet for my three. How long will that 51lbs last you?
    -Brandie<br /><br /><br />Nothing cures a bad mood like a Labrador or three in your lap.

Brandie, it all depends on how much you feed them. I don't feed my dogs exclusivley tripe, they get it mixed with other meat.... like chicken back and the tripe, or deer and the tripe..... it depends on your dogs weight, also. this is my first order of the tripe, so perhaps Jlab could elaborate on how long it might last.

Melissa

So much to learn!! Happy weighs 105lbs the vet said he needs to loose at least 10-15lbs. Lucky's at a healthy 86lbs and Sam weighs in at a mighty 25lbs at the moment.

I'm pretty sure I'm going to have to order it and wondering how much I need to order and how long it's going to last so I can work it into the budget.
    -Brandie<br /><br /><br />Nothing cures a bad mood like a Labrador or three in your lap.

Getting close to ordering from HARE, they seem to be pretty good and they have the most reasonable prices I've found so far. I'm definately going to order the tripe, and then trying to decide between beef or pork?

My only concern is that happy once at a whole pound of thawed raw hamburger meat and had terrible dirrehea. Is this going to be a problem for him if I switch him to Raw?

jlab Guest

Quote Originally Posted by LuckyGirl
    So much to learn!! Happy weighs 105lbs the vet said he needs to loose at least 10-15lbs. Lucky's at a healthy 86lbs and Sam weighs in at a mighty 25lbs at the moment.

I'm pretty sure I'm going to have to order it and wondering how much I need to order and how long it's going to last so I can work it into the budget.
    I would initially go with mostly ground beef tripe with spleen for the first week (to get them used to raw). Add one meal in each of the following weeks of Ground Beef/Organs/Tripe and Bone (for variety). Get the 2 pound bags (you'll really appreciate the convenience).

Thaw out the bag in refridgerator for about 4 days. Place in sink full of warm water for about 20 minutes to make it irresistable. Split the 2 pound bag into thirds: 1/3 for Happy, 1/3 for Lucky and 1/3 for Sam. Happy should begin to lose weight, Lucky maintain and Sam gain. I usually have tripe as the afternoon/evening meal and have a muscle meat or whole prey meal in the morning. If you choose to also feed tripe in the morning, then repeat the above (you'll be feeding 2 pounds in the morning and 2 pounds in the evening for a total of 4 pounds for all 3 dogs).

This is just a starting point. Adjust portions as necessary depending on activity levels and desired weight gain/loss/maintain (e.g., if Happy isn't losing weight after a week, then reduce portions for each meal; if Sam isn't gaining weight after a week, then increase portions for each meal).

There is an adjustment period for any new food with most dogs. You'll usually see loose stools for 2 or 3 days before they start to firm up.

After a month, you'll want to add variety. Try the pork tripe, goat tripe, Ground Beef/Organs/Tripe and Bone, and ground salmon for great nutrition. Feed these once or twice a week while maintaining a mostly beef tripe for an excellent overall raw diet.

jlab Guest

Quote Originally Posted by LuckyGirl
    Getting close to ordering from HARE, they seem to be pretty good and they have the most reasonable prices I've found so far. I'm definately going to order the tripe, and then trying to decide between beef or pork?

My only concern is that happy once at a whole pound of thawed raw hamburger meat and had terrible dirrehea. Is this going to be a problem for him if I switch him to Raw?
    If this happens for any dog, fast for 24 hours and split the normal meal into very small portions feeding every couple of hours throughout the day. The next day, increase the portions and increase the number of hours between feeding. The third day you should be able to feed a morning and evening meal as normal.

Thanks for the advise!! I'm going to order the tripe from Hare and see how they do on that, and for variety there is a meat processing place about 60 miles from here that I think sell the other stuff so I don't have to pay outrageous shipping fees......Now to just get SU to give me that credit card for five minutes.....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast