Holistic treatment for ringworm?

Thread: Holistic treatment for ringworm?

RachelR is offline Junior Member

DefaultHolistic treatment for ringworm?

Hi, I have 2 labradors, both fed on raw for years. Two weeks ago I found a stray kitten in my yard. I took the kitten to the vet and had it checked for fleas, mites, worms and had him tested for feline FIV and Leukemia. All test were negative and the vet told me he was cleared to be mixed with my Labs. Their both very gentle with babies of any kind. They sniffed him alot, etc.

Anyway after about 10 days, my little kitten started with these patches, the vet did a culture for ringworm, we started him on meds and shampoos. The test came back positive but the damage was already done as far as my Labs coming into contact with him.

Two days ago my Lab develope this on their face...

Then my other Lab developed something on her cheek that looks like a pimple.

The kitten is quarantined now, because he is young he has it real bad, about 30 patches all over his body.

Im sure its ringworm, my kitten is on Sporonox and its hell on the liver, is there anything I can treat my labs with that actually works that isnt chemicals?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: Holistic treatment for ringworm?

Oh and the first day it looked a little worse.....Could it get better on its own? I used some cream that they gave me for the kitten on it, but its hard to stop him from licking his lip.

brody is offline Senior Member

Have you had your labs to the vet?
    you really should - ringworm as you are learning is highly contagious - although some people/animals have higher resistance

as it goes through phases it can appear to heal - what it is really doing is spreading usually ... but the lesion can actually look better day to day - DO NOT stop treatment until it is entirely resolved

if you are proactive you should be able to treat small cases with topical treatment (in Canada one of the drugs of choice is called conofite). You need an antifungal cream to treat patches and over the counter meds are often not strong enough particularly with animals.

Holistic support can be helpful and I can try to recall what I have used if you are interested in support but IMHO you really must seek vet attention and meds to treat if you want to get rid of it for once and for all

thanks for taking kitty in btw

cheers

http://andrea-agilityaddict.blogspot.com/

“I am only one, but still I am one. I cannot do everything, but still I can do something; and because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do something that I can do.” H. Keller

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Labs4me is offline Senior Member

You can treat it with homeopathy, usually a healthfood store will carry a homeopathic remedy.

http://www.homeopathyworks.com/jshop....php?xProd=325
    Bonnie ~ Ellsworth Labradors
    Home to Ellsworth's Playing For Keeps CGC, U-CH SHR Ellsorth's Absolut Pleasure, Ellsworth's Good Luck Charm
    Gone but not forgotten: Franklin's Lucy of Ellsworth; Franklin's Rare Treat; U-CD Franklin's Rockin' Robin CDX, WC, CGC; Alpha-Omega's Mustang Salli CDX, CGC

Quote Originally Posted by conrad
    Have you had your labs to the vet?
    you really should - ringworm as you are learning is highly contagious - although some people/animals have higher resistance

as it goes through phases it can appear to heal - what it is really doing is spreading usually ... but the lesion can actually look better day to day - DO NOT stop treatment until it is entirely resolved

if you are proactive you should be able to treat small cases with topical treatment (in Canada one of the drugs of choice is called conofite). You need an antifungal cream to treat patches and over the counter meds are often not strong enough particularly with animals.

Holistic support can be helpful and I can try to recall what I have used if you are interested in support but IMHO you really must seek vet attention and meds to treat if you want to get rid of it for once and for all

thanks for taking kitty in btw

cheers

I am using the prescription cream on both of them topically and the shampoo once every 2 weeks, which theyve already had a bath each. From what the vet told me, the kitten needed oral meds because hes got no immune system, and the recovery time is the same with the oral meds.

It takes weeks with the meds, and weeks with the cream.

I read healthy adult animals should get rid of it on their own in 2 to 4 months. I dont want to wait that long thats why I started the ointment and baths. The dogs dont have any hair loss or scaling either.

Apollopuppy is offline Senior Member

I got ringworm last summer. Ugh it was horrible! I had to go to the vet..I mean doctor (omg! I cant believe I said vet lol! ) to get prescription strength anti-fungal meds. It was a bear to get rid of and SOOO itchy! Don't know of any holistic remedies but I hope your puppers gets well soon. Ringworm on the face? Oh man! Thats GOT to suck!
    Love,<br />Giuli<br /><br />

Quote Originally Posted by Apollopuppy
    I got ringworm last summer. Ugh it was horrible! I had to go to the vet..I mean doctor (omg! I cant believe I said vet lol! ) to get prescription strength anti-fungal meds. It was a bear to get rid of and SOOO itchy! Don't know of any holistic remedies but I hope your puppers gets well soon. Ringworm on the face? Oh man! Thats GOT to suck!
    I know! I got it years ago on my leg and I remember how itchy it was. Thats whats weird....the dogs arent scratching at all.

Baloo317 is offline Senior Member

Ironically enough, I was just reading up on this a little while ago.

One article said that a lot of the time a healthy dog will rid itself of ringworm in a few weeks, BUT treatment is usually sought anyways due to the fact that it is very very highly contagious (even inter-species, as you've seen).

So, I suppose you could adopt a wait-and-see method provided you are quite vigilant in keeping them (both) confined and quarantined and sanitizing like crazy.
    Kate
    Baloo - 5 year old black lab
    Peanut - 7 year old minpin
    Monster - 3-ish year old frenchie/jack, rescue
    We're Superdogs!