Raw feeders: Once daily feeding or twice?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Raw feeders: Once daily feeding or twice?

Baloo317 is offline Senior Member

DefaultRaw feeders: Once daily feeding or twice?

What do you do?

Right now I'm doing muscle and organ meat in the morning, raw meaty bones in the evening. I'm finding that a lot of times their poops are either a little too loose or a little too hard, which makes sense because each meal is probably being processed seperately, thus not getting the benefit of the balance.

So I'm considering just feeding them once a day, I read some stuff and it seems some folks think that's better than twice a day, more reflective of the "feast or famine" eating style that their digestive systems were built for.

I'm a little worried about doing that, as Peanut seems to have "empty tummy syndrome", although she's been much better since I started her on a regular pro-biotic.

What do you think?
    Kate
    Baloo - 5 year old black lab
    Peanut - 7 year old minpin
    Monster - 3-ish year old frenchie/jack, rescue
    We're Superdogs!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

lunamus is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Raw feeders: Once daily feeding or twice?

I feed once a day.. sometimes in the morning (I hate that though, cos Luna will spend the rest of the day, hoping for food), mostly in the afternoon..

Luna will first get her meat with a few suppliments and when that's eaten, she'll get her RMB.

I only feed once every day, as Luna doesnt really get that much food, so it seems more, when fed all at the same time
    Jeanette and Luna. Sleep tight Oliver, our little kitty, thank you for 15 great years

kaznalf is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Baloo317
    What do you do?

Right now I'm doing muscle and organ meat in the morning, raw meaty bones in the evening. I'm finding that a lot of times their poops are either a little too loose or a little too hard, which makes sense because each meal is probably being processed seperately, thus not getting the benefit of the balance.

So I'm considering just feeding them once a day, I read some stuff and it seems some folks think that's better than twice a day, more reflective of the "feast or famine" eating style that their digestive systems were built for.

I'm a little worried about doing that, as Peanut seems to have "empty tummy syndrome", although she's been much better since I started her on a regular pro-biotic.

What do you think?
    Can you not give a mixture of both types of food but say half in morning and half at night iykwim?

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Trickster is offline Senior Member

I always fed mine twice a day when I fed all raw. They wouldn't forgive me if I only fed them once a day.

Are you feeding organ meat every day? if so, I would cut back on that and feed it every other day.

You could feed an RMB of some sort in the AM and PM with the organ or muscle meat, rather than just feeding the RMB's in the PM.

Well I'm gonna try out the once per day... and just give them a bit of a snack in the evenings. I've been reading a bit and it seems that once per day is fairly commonly done.

Rosie I do feed organ meat every day, it's just easier for me to stick to the ratio that way (60/30/10)

We'll see how the once per day goes, if they act like they're really starving I can always go back and try something else.
    Kate
    We're Superdogs!

Trickster is offline Senior Member

A raw feeding breeder of Goldens I know feeds once per day and swears by it. But her dogs are not complete gluttons like Labs and seem to cope with it just fine. I personally just don't like the idea of feeding once per day. I think having to wait 24 hours each time for a meal is a bit much, especially as my guys are quite active. Assuming you would feed in the evening, by morning they would be running on empty and I know with my gluttons that would encourage even more scrounging and scavenging. Also, I equally don't like the idea of giving them one BIG meal -- bloat would be a concern.

I doubt the fact that they are getting fed twice per day is causing loose poops. More likely it is the meal of muscle and organ meat that is causing it. I wouldn't feed organ meat every day for that very reason.

Well, it's been two days and so far so good.

I can't split the RMB into two meals (usually it's just one big piece), so I'd have to split the MM/OM if anything. And then the morning meal (half of their MM/OM) would be so small I might as well just feed them once anyhoo.

Their poops aren't really ever loose, just sort of dis-jointed, if that makes sense. Basically I can clearly tell which poop is MM/OM, and which poop is RMB, and I don't think I should be able to do that.

Poops today were fantastic.
    Kate
    We're Superdogs!

jlab Guest

In my experience, it is much harder to control weight with one meal a day. Labs are prone to being overweight to begin with. With one meal a day it's almost like being in continuous starvation mode like Biafra babies.

That being said, the feeding frequency that makes the most sense to me is one that mimics nature: Sometimes one large meal a day followed by a one or two day fast, sometimes 2 or 3 smaller meals a day with meals at different times throughout the day and none of these meals on a set schedule.

Taking all this into consideration, I feed 2 meals a day and try to vary the time during the day when each of these meals are fed. Some days I might feed at 6 AM and 4 PM. Others days it might be 10 AM and 7 PM and still other days may be 8 AM and 5 PM. Depending on the type and size of a meal, I may give treats inbetween and sometimes not.

ObedienceLabs4Me is offline Senior Member

I do twice. They get there raw meaty bone stuff in the mornging and their tripe with some meat at night with their suppliments.
    Susan
    UCDX GRCH Dunn's Marsh Caleb of Waltona UDX3, OM3, RAE Canadian UD, RE
    FallRiver's Micah of Waltona GN RAE, Canadian CD, RN

www.labmed.org

Apollopuppy is offline Senior Member

Well I dont know if I count but I feed my ferrets 1-2 times per day. Sometimes I will fast them for half a day. Just depends on how I'm feelin. The cat eats 1x per day.
    Love,<br />Giuli<br /><br />

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast