Dog food help

Thread: Dog food help

kaznalf is offline Senior Member

DefaultDog food help

Right I have a feeling the kibble im feeding is crapppp! The vet thinks Alfie is underweight at 31-32kg and we should be aiming for 35kg. He has 3-4 cups a day of Chudleys Junior..this fills him and although he is very active he never seems to put on any weight. Ingredients for Chudleys i couldnt find online??.

EDIT: FOUND WEBSITE FOR CHUDLEYS JUNIOR

http://www.dodsonandhorrell.com/uk/c...g/puppy/junior

Alot of people i know have said Ardens Grange is good (albiet expensive!) ingredients again below. So my question is should i change foods in hope it will maintain his weight?

Also what do you think of ingredients?

Adult: rich in lamb & rice

Grade A New Zealand lamb meal as the primary ingredient – an excellent protein source that is both palatable and easily digestible

Super-premium ingredients – no animal derivatives or by-products used

Ethically produced – only meadow reared/pasture fed lamb used

Moderately energy dense – ideal adult maintenance feed for pet dogs or those in light work

Alternative protein source – frequently suited to those dogs with an intolerance or allergy to chicken protein

Extremely competitively priced – our best selling product

Ingredients

Lamb Meal* (min 30%), Whole Grain Rice (min 26%), Whole Grain Maize, Chicken Fat*, Beet Pulp, Dried Brewers Yeast, Egg Powder, Fish Meal*, Linseed, Fish Oil*, Minerals, Vitamins, Nucleotides, Prebiotic FOS, Prebiotic MOS, Cranberry Extract, Chondroitin Sulphate, Glucosamine Sulphate, MSM, Yucca Extract. * Preserved with mixed tocopherols and rosemary extract.

Typical Analysis

Protein 25%, Oil 16%, Fibre 2%, Ash 6%, Moisture 8%, Omega6 3.5%, Omega3 0.4%, Vitamin A 15000 IU/kg, Vitamin D3 1500 IU/kg, Vitamin E 80 IU/kg, Calcium 1.53%, Phosphorous P 1.1%, Copper 20 mg/kg (as Cupric Sulphate).

Feeding Guide

The breed, age, activity level and temperament of your dog will influence the amount of food required. The quantities shown in the chart below are for guidance only. Always ensure fresh, clean drinking water is available.

Not Actual Size

Calorie Content: 415 Cals/100g

Download .Pdf Catalogue

Click on icons for more health benefits:

Lamb
    Lamb and rice to enhance well being and reduce allergic reactions.
    Omega 6 & 3
    Omega 6 & 3 fatty acids in correct ratios.

Benefits: Promotes good skin and coat condition.
    Balanced minerals
    Balanced minerals and added cranberry extract.

Benefits: Helps maintain urinary tract health.
    Antioxidants & Vitamins
    Added antioxidants and vitamins.

Benefits: Helps maintain a healthy immune system.
    Organic Citrus
    Organic citrus extract added to enhance dental and oral health.
    Order Online Ordering info/FAQ

Size
    Price
    Qty
    Add to Bowl

1 KG
    £4.00

2.5 KG
    £6.79

7.5 KG
    £17.19

15 KG
    £30.79

Recomended Feeding Chart

Weight Kgs.
    Grams / Day

1 - 3 56 - 93
    3 - 5 93 - 123
    5 - 10 123 - 185
    10 - 15 185 - 237
    15 - 20 237 - 283
    20 - 25 283 - 329
    25 - 30 329 - 365
    30 - 35 365 - 402
    35 - 40 402 - 436
    40 - 45 436 - 472
    45 - 50 472 - 509
    50 - 55 509 - 539
    55 - 60 539 - 570
    60 - 65 570 - 601
    65 - 70 601 - 626
    70 - 75 626 - 658
    75 - 80 658 - 688

Using the Feeding Charts

The Arden Grange feeding charts will give an estimation of the daily feeding quantity based on your cat or dog’s weight.

It is important to remember however that these figures are guidelines only, and there are several factors to be taken into account when assessing your pet’s nutritional requirements : -

Activity level

Temperament (stressed animals burn off more calories than relaxed ones)

Metabolism (every animal is an individual with his or her own speed of metabolism; this means that 2 dogs of the same age, breed and weight could have different daily calorie requirements)

In order to provide the correct portions, it is also helpful to assess your pet’s appetite, visual appearance and stools. Whilst poo watching does not sound particular pleasant, it is one of the best indicators of health. Increased frequency of passing faeces, production of large quantities of stools of loose motions are often frequent signs that an animal is receiving more food than he or she requires.

It is important to obtain an accurate weight for your cat or dog, and also to weigh out the food. Guessing on both accounts gives a large margin of error.

If you require any assistance in calculating the correct feeding quantities for your cat or dog, please contact our nutrition adviser who will be happy to help.

We also have FREE measuring cups available on request! Click here to request one.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Tanya is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Dog food help

Just so you know, this is the RAW diet section. Meaning either BARF or raw food diets. If you want to talk kibble you should post in the General Health and diet section.

Chudley Junior doesn't appear to be the best food. the first ingredient is WHEAT, which is well...not good. The first ingredient should be a named meat meal (if it's just the meat you have to be careful, once the water is removed it moves wayy down the list).
    BuT more importantly, it's not working for your boy.

The arden looks like a decent kibble. If you can wing it it's certainly worth changing to.

Charlie (foster) and Rocky

Baloo317 is offline Senior Member

I've heard good things about Arden Grange. Keep in mind, when it comes to kibble you generally get what you pay for.

For what it's worth, Baloo was underweight on kibble, despite me increasing it numerous times, and switching between premium brands. Once we switched to raw he gained almost ten pounds (of much needed weight) in a few months. It's also cheaper than feeding him the loads and loads of kibble that I was!

So I say try the arden grange, see how he goes.
    Kate
    Baloo - 5 year old black lab
    Peanut - 7 year old minpin
    Monster - 3-ish year old frenchie/jack, rescue
    We're Superdogs!

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Apollopuppy is offline Senior Member

Again I dont have a lab (anymore) but my my two senior ferrets (the white ones) were both VERY underweight. I switched them to raw (from kibble) and their muscle mass really increased! It was amazing! They just get SO much more nutrition out of raw.
    Love,<br />Giuli<br /><br />

TY! Sorry Tania i didnt realise lol

Havent actually looked into raw for dogs but might have a read up

Apollopuppy is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by kaznalf
    Havent actually looked into raw for dogs but might have a read up
    DEFINITLY worth a read up I know the difference in my cat and ferrets after switching them to raw (from kibble) was enough to convince me that when I FINALLY get a labby again, he's going to be raw fed, all the way!
    Love,<br />Giuli<br /><br />

Trickster is offline Senior Member

I don't think the ingredients for the Chudleys are terrible, but I don't like wheat as the first ingredient so that alone would put me off.

I am wondering why you have Alfie on a 'Junior' food, though? if I remember rightly, Alfie is 15 months or so? my preference would be to have him on an adult maintenance rather than a junior food.

My dogs are currently eating Skinners Duck and Rice. A 15kg sack costs me £18.50. Compare the ingredients to Skinners D&R with James Wellbeloved and they are VERY similar, with the only difference being that Skinners costs £18.50 and James Wellbeloved costs £41.00. The dogs are doing well on Skinners and frankly, my pocket is thrilled with the saving we are making on dog food.

I like Arden Grange. The company is local to me (literally just down the road) but as the food has gained in popularity, their prices have gone up. I used to feed it and pay around the £22 mark for a 15kg sack but it is now around £30 or more. Therefore, I have switched to Skinners.

If cost is not a problem for you I would try James Wellbeloved or Arden Grange. Otherwise, Skinners is a wonderful alternative.

Quote Originally Posted by Trickster
    I don't think the ingredients for the Chudleys are terrible, but I don't like wheat as the first ingredient so that alone would put me off.

I am wondering why you have Alfie on a 'Junior' food, though? if I remember rightly, Alfie is 15 months or so? my preference would be to have him on an adult maintenance rather than a junior food.

My dogs are currently eating Skinners Duck and Rice. A 15kg sack costs me £18.50. Compare the ingredients to Skinners D&R with James Wellbeloved and they are VERY similar, with the only difference being that Skinners costs £18.50 and James Wellbeloved costs £41.00. The dogs are doing well on Skinners and frankly, my pocket is thrilled with the saving we are making on dog food.

I like Arden Grange. The company is local to me (literally just down the road) but as the food has gained in popularity, their prices have gone up. I used to feed it and pay around the £22 mark for a 15kg sack but it is now around £30 or more. Therefore, I have switched to Skinners.

If cost is not a problem for you I would try James Wellbeloved or Arden Grange. Otherwise, Skinners is a wonderful alternative.
    I have never seen Skinners but will definately look out for it! Lady in pet shop told me to have him on Junior until 18 months old so was waiting until then to switch to adult but if i can have a look at skinners in there i will switch to adult

Trickster is offline Senior Member

I have never bothered with the junior. Although it has been a while since I have had a puppy, with my dogs I remember switching them from puppy straight to adult.

Take what the lady in the pet shop said with a pinch of salt.

Skinners is a low key food. You don't often see it advertised. My local pet shop doesn't stock it but orders it in for me. If you go onto the Skinners website and send them an email, they will send you some very generously sized samples for Alfie to try. Their customer services is excellent.

Quote Originally Posted by Trickster
    I have never bothered with the junior. Although it has been a while since I have had a puppy, with my dogs I remember switching them from puppy straight to adult.

Take what the lady in the pet shop said with a pinch of salt.

Skinners is a low key food. You don't often see it advertised. My local pet shop doesn't stock it but orders it in for me. If you go onto the Skinners website and send them an email, they will send you some very generously sized samples for Alfie to try. Their customer services is excellent.
    I will do thank you rosie!