Lab not eating

Thread: Lab not eating

azteca is offline Junior Member

DefaultLab not eating

I just adopted a Chocolate lab, almost 2 years old, and she does not care to eat. I have had her for 2 weeks now. The previous owner gave me some food that she normally ate but she did not want it. I mixed it with some wet food and she ate it once. I bought some Iams brand (proactive adult lamb) and she ate it the first two times but now she is refusing it again. My vet recommended I use Iams weight control large breed since she is a little chuncky. She ate that the first time but again refuses to eat. I excercise her on a daily basis so I am getting worried.

Anyone have any ideas of what I should do or what other brand of food I should use?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

jlab Guest

DefaultRe: Lab not eating

Your dog is trying to tell you something. Forget the commercial dog foods. Go raw and and you'll never go back!

I wonder what he is trying to tell me? What do you mean by "go raw"?

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

jlab Guest

Look at the section of the forum you're in - "Natural/Raw Diets and Holistic Care". A raw diet is feeding raw unprocessed species appropriate foods. It's a way to feed your dog based on the diet developed, tested and proven by Mother Nature over millions of years of evolution.

Look through some of the threads and this section and you'll find examples of raw food diets and the benefits (including really loving the food they eat) over feeding commercial dog foods.

Tanya is offline Senior Member

first, ditch the weight control, it's full of fillers. If your girl needs to loose weight, feed less (you can add green beans to add substance) and exercise more.
    Second, she may just be playing hard ball. she held out and got you to change food. Then she held out and got something else (canned). If the vet said she is healthy, the bag is good (not stale, no recall) and you are sure it's good quality diet, then play hard ball. Put the food down for 5 minutes. if she is at the bowl eating you can leave it but once seh leaves take the bowl away. Put it down again at the next weekend.

If she really isn't eating ANYTHING you need to see a vet soon.

I do agree with jlab, raw has many benefits. this is a great place to start your research. If you have no interest in raw, you may want to also post in the Health and Nutrition section.
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

Thanks Tanya.
    I read about raw and I don't care to do that right now. She is not skinny, in fact, she is a little chunky. We have been exercising more and more so we both can get in shape. I worry because we exercise so much and she still does not want to eat.

She ate some this morning but I mixed a little of can food. She scarfed it down. I think she does not like dry food.

Tanya is offline Senior Member

Please post in the General Health/Nutruition section. i honestly do not know anyone able to feed a large breed dog canned food (and have never really analyzed if it was a proper diet - maybe it is).

Honestly, unless you are ok with adding canned to her kibble every day for the rest of her life, I'd recommend finding a good quality kibble (whatever works for your girl, gives her good stoold, healthy weight and nice coat) and teach her to eat properly.

My fear would be that one day, the canned food won't be "good enough" and she'll hold out for something else.
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

Mom2Daffney is offline Member

I agree with other posters. I'm in the process of transitioning my lab to a natural food diet due to her having some pretty bad allergies.
    I didn't realize what a chore it was to get her to eat but the past couple of days, she's been excited to eat the new mixture I've been making for her!
    Do some research if you go to making your own food (my girl is still getting kiblbe until I'm confident in giving her what she needs nutritionally) There's some great information and recipes out there too!