Mice on ice
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mice on ice

CHOCOLATA is offline Senior Member

DefaultMice on ice

I was wondering if any of you rawfeed your cat and possibly have experience with "Mice on Ice"? This is a company that sells frozen mice and my vet wants me to try it for my cat. He is 8 months and only rawfed since he was a baby.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    <br /><br />Zlata &amp; Chocolata

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Apollopuppy is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Mice on ice

My cat eats raw and whole prey. She wont eat mice though (only birds and fish) It makes finding sufficient whole prey difficult, because many birds that are of appropriate size for her are young. And because they are young they are low on calcium. But I digress.....

I have not used mice on ice, but I have heard they are a good company (i know alot of ferret and cat natural feeders who use them). Personally, I have used Rodentpro. I like rodent pro because they have various ages of mice, rats, chicks, quail, and guinea pig. Mice on ice (I believe) only carries mice. Thats fine and dandy if your cat will eat mice. If your cat WONT eat mice (and you want to provide whole prey) you'll have to go with birds, fish, and rabbit. I get my birds from prey4pets. I can buy feeder chicks from them in a variety of ages. Rodentpro only sells 1 day old chicks. I can buy all the way up to 4 week old chicks from prey4pets.

My baby is in my siggy. Her name is Zephyr. Looks like you've got a cutie pie too!
    Love,<br />Giuli<br /><br />

Tia
    Tia is offline Senior Member

No experience with that company. However, our local pet food outlet also sells frozen baby mice and frozen adult mice. I've sorta wanted to buy a few but just haven't yet. Have you checked in to getting them at a local feed store? It may save you some money in shipping...especially since they would have to be shipped frozen.

My cat is rawfed as of about 3 months ago. I actually bought a couple of young living mice at the pet store a few weeks ago. Brought them home for my cat...she was in kitty heaven! She killed them and ate them.

Funny thing was, the pet store girl asked if I wanted males or females and what color mice I wanted...I said it didn't matter...

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

For 4 frozen adult mice its $10.99 at my local petshop (petsmart) :ugly: That is WAYYYYYYY more expensive then buying online, even factoring in the cost of shipping.

Oskar eats Aunt Jenni's food. It comes in 1lb containers and it is ground mix of organs, meat and bone. And then whenever I have ground meat for Choco - he has that too. Last week I gave him chunks of chicken and he threw it up. I am not sure if it was the chunks or just a coincidence. Buying it prepared from Aunt Jenni's gets kind of expensive and then too - I want him to eat as close to what it would be in nature :embarrass: I dont mind mice but I would be kind of afrait that the live mouse would run away from him and then him and Choco would chase it together. I feel kinf of bad now that he he hasn't been getting the whole prey as it might be harder teaching him to deal with it. On the other hand - he is my very natural cat with no vaccines, no medications ever (except for his neuter) and he is on raw since the day he came to us at 8 weeks.
    What kind of stuff do you guys feed your cats? Would you give me like a sample menu?

Well Zeph wont eat mice (or any rodent) so she eats a combo of raw and whole prey (birds and fish)

Zephyr's Weekly Menu:

MONDAY: 1 whole, raw egg and whole raw organs (chicken liver, chicken hearts, gizzards)
    TUESDAY: 1 palm sized piece of boneless, pasteured, organic, raw beef (coated with one crushed eggshell)
    WEDNESDAY: Some whole raw anchovies or sardines (NOT canned ones)
    THURSDAY: 1 whole raw chicken thigh, leg, or wing
    FRIDAY: 1 palm sized piece of raw, boneless pork (coated with 1 crushed eggshell) and possibly a raw, whole chicken neck
    SATURDAY: 1-2 chicks (depending on how old said chicks are)
    SUNDAY: 1 palm sized piece of raw, boneless lamb (coated with 1 crushed eggshell)

She also eats:
    Ducklings
    Quail
    Shrimp
    Mackeral
    Salmon

Finding bird whole prey is difficult. I use anchovies and sardines because they are good with the omega three and they are "kitty sized" I'm always on the lookout for new forms of bird whole prey. Have not tried rabbit yet, but I'd like to give it a shot. She wont eat guinea pigs, rats, or mice.

Wow - that is pretty impressive. I will try that. I had no idea that they could eat bones like that.

Oh god yeah! They can eat bones just as well as a dog!

Have you seen this site?

http://www.rawfedcats.org/

It was pretty helpful. YOu can feed your cat a RMB diet just like you do with your dogs It will take them some practice to learn how to eat the bone, but most getting it. And you have a young cat, so it shouldnt be too hard. You can do things like whack the bone with a mallet to open it up and expose the marrow to entice them to eat.

Ferrets, Cats, and Dogs are all capable of chewing bones, provided they are the appropriate size for each animal. Stick with "chicken/rabbit sized" bones or smaller when raw feeding a cat (or ferret). And with cats its alot easier to provide whole prey (because they are smaller then dogs). If Zeph would eat mice she would be on all whole prey, but because she only eats young birds (who have fairly low calcium levels) she gets a raw/whole prey mix.

Some more cat stuff that you may/may not have seen:

http://www.rawfedcats.org
    http://rawfed.com/myths/cats.html
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Raw_feeding
    http://k9joy.com/education/feedyourdog.php (About dogs, but can be applied to cats)

Tia
    Tia is offline Senior Member

Oh yeah...I think my cat can eat a chicken wing (with bone) faster than my dog lol...no kidding! It has done wonders for her teeth as well...her teeth and breath were pretty gross before.

I don't have quite the schedule as Apollo, I generally buy a whole chicken and cut up the pieces for my cat. She also eats mackerel, salmon, sardines, beef and ground beef and sometimes cooked meat leftovers that we have from dinner. Not the ideal whole prey diet, but better than kibble as far as I'm concerned.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast