Wondering about eggs...?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wondering about eggs...?

Baloo317 is offline Senior Member

DefaultWondering about eggs...?

Does everyone feed them?

If so, how often? My guys both get one (free run, organic) a week, Thursday is "egg day".

Can I do more than that, or is that OK..?

What do you guys do?
    Kate
    Baloo - 5 year old black lab
    Peanut - 7 year old minpin
    Monster - 3-ish year old frenchie/jack, rescue
    We're Superdogs!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

ObedienceLabs4Me is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Wondering about eggs...?

I give eggs whenever I think about it. My friend who got me started feeding raw will even use them as treats--cooked of course!
    Susan
    UCDX GRCH Dunn's Marsh Caleb of Waltona UDX3, OM3, RAE Canadian UD, RE
    FallRiver's Micah of Waltona GN RAE, Canadian CD, RN

www.labmed.org

Labnut is offline Junior Member

For a big Lab, you could feed them eggs every day, if you were a raw food feeder or a cooked egg-giver. An egg has about 100 calories, so adjust the food you feed accordingly. For your little dog, maybe just a taste every day? If you feed them shells, it is better to wash the shells with soap and water or dip the whole egg in boiling water and run it through the food processor because chickens tend to poop everywhere, even on their eggs. Egg shell powder is like bone meal, and can be an important part of their diet. However, with a little dog, I am not sure how much or how often. Letting them eat big chunks of shells is too hard on their digestion.

I am sure there is a lot of info. out there, but one of my raw food recipes called for 4 eggs per lab per day (these were 90 lb Labs). Contrary to past beliefs, eggs are perfect food for canines and humans (most mammals)!

It makes them happy, too, because it tastes good!

Happy tails!

:gum:
    We are alone, absolutely alone on this chance planet: and, amid all the forms of life that surround us, not one, excepting the dog, has made an alliance with us.--M. Maeterlinck

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Trickster is offline Senior Member

I don't feed a set amount of eggs. I only feed them when I remember and that is usually once or twice a week.

Baloo317 is offline Senior Member

So maybe give Baloo one twice a week and keep Peanut to once? They both get a whole, raw egg, shell and all. They also eat my bird's poo when they get the chance so I don't worry overmuch about any poop left on the egg.... :vomit:
    Kate
    Baloo - 5 year old black lab
    Peanut - 7 year old minpin
    Monster - 3-ish year old frenchie/jack, rescue
    We're Superdogs!

henrysmom is offline Senior Member

Kate, I usually give Henery a raw organic egg twice a week, shell and all. He loves it.

With his past homecooked diet (still waiting for Tammy to formulate me a new one!) he had a boiled egg every day (no shell).
    Gorsebrook Jackson Triggs, CD, RN, WC, CGN<br />Kelrobin A Twist of Fate<br /><br />

4yelloweyedogs is offline Senior Member

Mine all get an egg atleast twice a week. Raw, shell and all..... I have to break Charlie Browns, in his bowl because otherwise he thinks it's a ball and just carries it around in his mouth !!

He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.

http://theyelloweyedog.weebly.com/

Sadies Paw is offline Member

Great info! I was just wondering about the shells myself!

Sadie will have an egg with her breakfast tomorrow - shell included!

Thanks everybody.

Fallriver is offline Senior Member

If you feed them shells, it is better to wash the shells with soap and water or dip the whole egg in boiling water and run it through the food processor because chickens tend to poop everywhere, even on their eggs.
    I would worry more about what's on the soap than what's on the egg. If feeding eggs, try to find farm fresh or organic because commercial eggs can be sprayed with a wax glaze that is prolly not too good for the dogs. I get lovely double yoke farm fresh eggs for $6 a flat from the farmer across the road from me!
    Like everything else, moderation is key so I wouldn't feed eggs with every meal but I do feed for two or three a week. Apparently, the whites can bind with zinc and limit absorption.
    Dana

To err is human:To forgive, canine."
    - Anonymous

Canyon Labradors is offline Senior Member

We do about 2-3 a week. Lately we've been buying farm fresh eggs as even the organic eggs disturb my husband (I should never have bought the Omnivore's Dilema for him)....it's tough to actually find FREE RANGE eggs around here.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast