Question about coat
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Question about coat

Baloo317 is offline Senior Member

DefaultQuestion about coat

Baloo's coat is just OK, it's really not *fabulous*. He has quite a bit of dandruff at any given time, and sometimes his coat really lacks lustre.

I blame this primarily on our house, it is SUPER dry in here. It's getting better with the seasons changing, his dandruff was MUCH worse in the winter.

I don't find fish oil really makes much of a difference.

Is there anything I can do to give his coat that little extra kick? Either something I could feed him or put on topically?
    Kate
    Baloo - 5 year old black lab
    Peanut - 7 year old minpin
    Monster - 3-ish year old frenchie/jack, rescue
    We're Superdogs!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Fallriver is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Question about coat

A proper lab coat will not have much luster. You should also know that twice a year they will blow coat and before they do, the coat will get quite dry and even get a reddish cast to it.
    Do you feed him flax oil? I know when I experimented with it years ago, my dogs all got terrible dander! Do you bathe him often? Normally, lots of good brushing with a rubber curry comb will put the oils back into the coat.
    Dana

To err is human:To forgive, canine."
    - Anonymous

Quote Originally Posted by FallRiver
    A proper lab coat will not have much luster. You should also know that twice a year they will blow coat and before they do, the coat will get quite dry and even get a reddish cast to it.
    Do you feed him flax oil? I know when I experimented with it years ago, my dogs all got terrible dander! Do you bathe him often? Normally, lots of good brushing with a rubber curry comb will put the oils back into the coat.
    Never fed flax oil, he only had a few baths when a large amount of excrement was involved (:vomit his last bath would have been in the fall.

He seems to have a reddish tinge (in certain lights) all the time..? It was stronger right before his spring blow, but it's still there, I find.

Maybe I'll try brushing him more often with the zoom groom. I usually try to avoid it because it brings out all the dandruff and he ends up looking snowed on. :whatever:
    Kate
    We're Superdogs!

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

4yelloweyedogs is offline Senior Member

Kate, maybe his coat is sunburned..... when blacks are in the sun a lot they get a reddish tinge. Even black horses get that.

He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.

http://theyelloweyedog.weebly.com/

Hmm... I dunno I think he's always had it..? Even in winter, although I guess the sun still shines in winter (although rarely!)

Isn't there some sort of easy fix? I don't know, it's really not that bad. I wouldn't even think of it as problematic at all, just not great. Maybe I'm being greedy. :embarrass:
    Kate
    We're Superdogs!

sarah is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Baloo317
    Hmm... I dunno I think he's always had it..? Even in winter, although I guess the sun still shines in winter (although rarely!)

Isn't there some sort of easy fix? I don't know, it's really not that bad. I wouldn't even think of it as problematic at all, just not great. Maybe I'm being greedy. :embarrass:
    But in all your photo's you post his coat looks great!

Milly gets a touch of dryness too...... we brush her lots and her coat always looks shinier. We have a rubbery slip thing that goes over your whole hand with little knobbles on the side that goes on your palm, it's like a massager almost? Anyway, after we use that on her it really helps her dryness. We are coming into winter and Milly just blew her first coat (aww! hehe) so I hope she doesn't dry out too much this winter. Time shall tell!
    Sarah & Milly - Sydney Australia

It really isn't as bad as I've probably made it sound. Maybe some dandruff is normal? Especially on a black dog, it's so easy to see. I almost need a microscope to find any on Peanut.
    Kate
    We're Superdogs!

Well, you could try kelp as the zinc might help
    Dana

- Anonymous

Quote Originally Posted by FallRiver
    Well, you could try kelp as the zinc might help
    Could I just do zinc by itself? I heard you hve to be careful with kelp because of the iodine.....? Is that accurate, do you know?

If not I can get powdered kelp at my local health food store, would that or the flaky stuff be better? And how much? (sorry for all the questions... :embarrass
    Kate
    We're Superdogs!

Don't know, as i don't supplement. All I know is breeder friends use it. Sorry.
    Dana

- Anonymous

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast