Do Ya Think????
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Do Ya Think????

Fallriver is offline Senior Member

DefaultDo Ya Think????

Finally, the CDC has noted that salmonella is present in kibble. Here is a snippet from their report:

During 1 Jan 2006 - 31 Dec 2007, CDC collaborated with public health
    officials in Pennsylvania, other states, and the Food and Drug
    Administration (FDA) to investigate a prolonged multistate outbreak of
    _Salmonella enterica_ serotype Schwarzengrund infections in humans. A total
    of 70 cases of _S._ Schwarzengrund infection with the outbreak strain (XbaI
    pulsed-field gel electrophoresis [PFGE] pattern JM6X01.0015) were identified
    in 19 states, mostly in the north eastern USA. This report describes the
    outbreak investigation, which identified the source of infection as dry dog
    food produced at a manufacturing plant in Pennsylvania. This investigation
    is the 1st to identify contaminated dry dog food as a source of human
    salmonellosis. After handling pet foods, pet owners should wash their hands
    immediately, and infants should be kept away from pet feeding areas.
    Dana

To err is human:To forgive, canine."
    - Anonymous

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Tia
    Tia is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Do Ya Think????

I always remember growing up and people saying that it was safe for people to eat dog food. :suspious:

My cousin actually used to eat dog biscuits lol

ObedienceLabs4Me is offline Senior Member

How interesting! Nothing about the brand of food though.
    Susan
    UCDX GRCH Dunn's Marsh Caleb of Waltona UDX3, OM3, RAE Canadian UD, RE
    FallRiver's Micah of Waltona GN RAE, Canadian CD, RN

www.labmed.org

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Baloo317 is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tia
    I always remember growing up and people saying that it was safe for people to eat dog food. :suspious:

I did that!! :surprise: Uh oh. *gulp* Welll... it's been nice knowing you all.... :'(

Kate
    Baloo - 5 year old black lab
    Peanut - 7 year old minpin
    Monster - 3-ish year old frenchie/jack, rescue
    We're Superdogs!

TangerineFizz is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Baloo317
    Quote Originally Posted by Tia

I did that!! :surprise: Uh oh. *gulp* Welll... it's been nice knowing you all.... :'(

LOL, well Kate, I still do from time to time! Curiosity gets the better of me, and chomp!!
    Me, Abzilla and the Helomonster.

CaliforniaLabLover is offline Senior Member

Well, $hit...I used to eat dry Friskies cat food for a while when I was a kid. Lord only knows what was in that when I was growing up! Or now, for that matter! My parents always knew when I had been munching because I had cat food breath. :vomit:

~Julie, Rogue, Monty, and Eddy~

"The reason a dog has so many friends is that he wags his tail instead of his tongue." -Anon

Happened across this, I believe it's the extended version on the snippet:

NEW YORK (Reuters Health) - Contaminated dry dog food was the source of an outbreak of Salmonella infections affecting people in 19 states, public health officials report in the Morbidity and Mortality Weekly Report, a publication of the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

This investigation, the first one to identify dry dog food as the source of human Salmonella infections, demonstrates that dry pet food may be contaminated with Salmonella and be an under-recognized source of human infections, especially in young children, the investigators say.

The first three cases of infection reported in Pennsylvania in May, 2006, involved identical strains of Salmonella. By October, 2007, a total of 70 laboratory-confirmed human cases of the outbreak strain had been reported to the CDC.

According to Dr. A. Ferraro, at the Pennsylvania Department of Health, and colleagues, the largest numbers of reported cases were in Pennsylvania (29 cases), New York (9 cases), and Ohio (7 cases). Roughly 40 percent of infected individuals were infants.

A multistate case-control study, as well as cultured specimens of dog stool and bags of dry dog food, implicated a manufacturing plant in Pennsylvania, which produces approximately 25 different brands of dry pet food.

An inspection of the plant turned up one isolate of the outbreak strain on an environmental surface and two isolates in two brands of dry dog food. The manufacturer recalled these two brands, but only in the sized bags from which the bacteria were isolated, and suspended operations between July and November for cleaning and disinfection.

The limited recall by the manufacturer means that contaminated dry pet food is almost certainly still present in many homes, the CDC notes.

To prevent Salmonella infections, the CDC urges pet owners to wash their hands immediately after handling pet food. The agency also recommends that infants be kept away from pet feeding areas and that children younger than 5 not be allowed to touch or eat pet food, treats, or supplements.

SOURCE: Morbidity and Mortality Weekly Report, May 16, 2008.

http://www.reuters.com/article/healt...SCOL5686712008 0515

Kate
    We're Superdogs!

ObedienceLabs4Me is offline Senior Member

Thanks Kate! I copied it in my files. Tried the link but it didn't work.
    Susan
    UCDX GRCH Dunn's Marsh Caleb of Waltona UDX3, OM3, RAE Canadian UD, RE
    FallRiver's Micah of Waltona GN RAE, Canadian CD, RN

www.labmed.org

Sorry, The place I copied it from cut it off, I think.
    Kate
    We're Superdogs!

eklind51 is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Baloo317
    Happened across this, I believe it's the extended version on the snippet:

NEW YORK (Reuters Health) - Contaminated dry dog food was the source of an outbreak of Salmonella infections affecting people in 19 states, public health officials report in the Morbidity and Mortality Weekly Report, a publication of the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

This investigation, the first one to identify dry dog food as the source of human Salmonella infections, demonstrates that dry pet food may be contaminated with Salmonella and be an under-recognized source of human infections, especially in young children, the investigators say.

The first three cases of infection reported in Pennsylvania in May, 2006, involved identical strains of Salmonella. By October, 2007, a total of 70 laboratory-confirmed human cases of the outbreak strain had been reported to the CDC.

According to Dr. A. Ferraro, at the Pennsylvania Department of Health, and colleagues, the largest numbers of reported cases were in Pennsylvania (29 cases), New York (9 cases), and Ohio (7 cases). Roughly 40 percent of infected individuals were infants.

A multistate case-control study, as well as cultured specimens of dog stool and bags of dry dog food, implicated a manufacturing plant in Pennsylvania, which produces approximately 25 different brands of dry pet food.

An inspection of the plant turned up one isolate of the outbreak strain on an environmental surface and two isolates in two brands of dry dog food. The manufacturer recalled these two brands, but only in the sized bags from which the bacteria were isolated, and suspended operations between July and November for cleaning and disinfection.

The limited recall by the manufacturer means that contaminated dry pet food is almost certainly still present in many homes, the CDC notes.

To prevent Salmonella infections, the CDC urges pet owners to wash their hands immediately after handling pet food. The agency also recommends that infants be kept away from pet feeding areas and that children younger than 5 not be allowed to touch or eat pet food, treats, or supplements.

SOURCE: Morbidity and Mortality Weekly Report, May 16, 2008.

http://www.reuters.com/article/healt...USCOL5686712008 0515
    a space appeared at the end. now it works.
    http://www.reuters.com/article/healt...56867120080515

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast