Bone for teeth?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bone for teeth?

sunnylaz is offline Senior Member

DefaultBone for teeth?

I try to brush Jonah's teeth, but I'm noticing some plaque buildup. I was wondering about giving him some raw bones to chew on to help the teeth. Would that be okay (he's currently on a grain free kibble, and I'd like to keep him on it for now, just adding some bones for the teeth)? Any specific suggestions? I read about large marrow bones when trying to search here. Is that the best to give? Will they end up eating the whole bone, or do they just chew on it and then you take it away?

Thanks!
    <br />Jonah - born 6/20/07

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

4yelloweyedogs is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Bone for teeth?

I give large raw beef bones. I buy mine at a slaughterhouse so they are larger than what you might find in the grocery stores. Large knuckle type bones are good, or the type that look like a leg bone that's been cut into pieces anywhere from 4 - 6 inches ..... they aren't able to actually EAT the bones, they just chew off the good stuff... grissle, some meat, etc. and they lick and lick trying to get the marrow out of those. When they are cleaned out I throw them away. If you give raw beef bones on a regular basis you will NOT have to brush his teeth.

He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.

http://theyelloweyedog.weebly.com/

Baloo317 is offline Senior Member

I use knuckle bones Allyson, I find they have a wee bit more "give" than the marrow bones and really scrub their teeth well. That and I don't worry so much about teeth breakage or jaws getting stuck and stuff like that.

I still supervise them while they chew though. They get 20-30 minute chew sessions a few times a week. When I can I recycle the bones, just re-freezing them when they're done.
    Kate
    Baloo - 5 year old black lab
    Peanut - 7 year old minpin
    Monster - 3-ish year old frenchie/jack, rescue
    We're Superdogs!

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

jlab Guest

I feed cow hooves. Check out 3rd post in the following thread for picture and reasoning:

https://www.justlabradors.com/forum/i...c,77339.0.html

Tanya is offline Senior Member

Great thread - May I ask a follow-up question?

I was at the vet, she asked about teeth brushing and i said i was starting to use bones for this. I was using lamb shanks. My vet said her lab broke a tooth chewing on a bone and to be careful...

Are there bones that a safer than others? The bones i used were from a prepared raw food maker (http://www.jakeanddaiseys.com/products.shtml - lamb shanks). He was eating the entire bone in about 2hrs.

For those feeding raw, is a broken tooth sign of using the wrong type of bone? Or potential accident?
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

jlab Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Tanya
    Great thread - May I ask a follow-up question?

I was at the vet, she asked about teeth brushing and i said i was starting to use bones for this. I was using lamb shanks. My vet said her lab broke a tooth chewing on a bone and to be careful...

Are there bones that a safer than others? The bones i used were from a prepared raw food maker (http://www.jakeanddaiseys.com/products.shtml - lamb shanks). He was eating the entire bone in about 2hrs.

For those feeding raw, is a broken tooth sign of using the wrong type of bone? Or potential accident?
    I've fed all types of harder recreational and softer raw meaty bones. Lamb shanks (with the meat) fall somewhere in the middle. Although a lamb shank is a weight bearing bone, lambs are slaughtered when young and the bone is not as hard compared to an older animal. Of course there is risk of breaking or chipping a tooth with any type of bone, but IMO lamb shanks are only a moderate risk.

The much greater risk from lamb shanks is the sharp shards that can be ingested. I notice when my labs are young, they take some time to chew all the meat off the shank and then knaw on the ends. At this point I would pick up and dispose of the shank bone. As my dogs got older and developed some jaw strength, they would quickly tear off all the meat, break off and eat the ends and crunch up and eat the middle part of the shank bone. Although I never had a serious problem with blockage, I was not comfortable with them ingesting these hard, sharp pieces of shank shard. Often, they would regurgitate these indigestible pieces and I was not comfortable with that either (even though this a perfectly natural response to ridding a dog's digestive system of indigestible particles).

As you can see from my other post in this thread with a link to another thread, I think raw cow hooves are the best bones to feed in regards to tooth safety. Cow hooves are large complex body parts that satisfy the chewing (prey) drive while providing low impact on teeth concerning breakage, chipping or long term wear.

Quote Originally Posted by jlab
    I feed cow hooves. Check out 3rd post in the following thread for picture and reasoning:

https://www.justlabradors.com/forum/i...c,77339.0.html
    Hey... that's an idea as well. I can get them skinned, might have to try that!

Tanya, it was probably a marrow bone that her dog broke it's tooth on. Those are generally cow femurs, and hard as hell. I know many many dogs that have broken teeth on marrow bones, which is the #1 reason I avoid them.
    Kate
    We're Superdogs!

4Onyx is offline Member

Hey Baloo, if you avoid Marrow bones, what kind of bones do you give for recreation?? I do have to say that I gave Onyx deer antlers and she loves to knaw on these. We just have to file down any sharp edges that develop. I read about antlers and havn't came across anything negative yet!!

The cow hooves work really well. A lot of the time I find RMBs provide lots of chewing recreation as well. I don't know about antlers, I've never used those.
    Kate
    We're Superdogs!

4Onyx is offline Member

I do give cow hooves but sometimes they don't seem to last very long and I have read a few bad things about them.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast