Trying to feed raw and running into trouble- help!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trying to feed raw and running into trouble- help!

copilot is offline Member

DefaultTrying to feed raw and running into trouble- help!

I am hoping some raw feeders can help out with my situation-

I am trying to wean my two Labs onto raw, and my 6 year old female is doing great but my 10 year old male not so much. I have been feeding high-quality kibble in the morning and chicken quarters or chicken backs and raw veggies at supper for about 1.5 weeks now. Female's poop is noticably looser than when I was feeding only kibble and sometimes has a "slime" covering. My male has a mostly-solid poop now and then, but is having a lot of diarrhea and his tummy is obviously upset. Sometimes it looks as though there is blood in the diarrhea. I am cooking him some rice and boiling him chicken tonight. I was hoping his stomach was just adjusting to the raw, but I don't want him to be feeling sick. And the bloody diarrhea makes me nervous. Behaviorally, he is totally normal. Bright eyes, normal energy, happy.

Is this what sometimes happen during a switch to raw? What do you suggest?

Thanks so much in advance.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

JustineNYC Guest

DefaultRe: Trying to feed raw and running into trouble- help!

I didnt "wean" I just switched cold turkey to raw feedings. Im not an expert but maybe feeding both isnt a good idea?

jlab Guest

Your method is not the best way to switch to raw. Mixing raw with kibble (even high quality kibble), veggies and now cooked rice and cooked chicken is likely what's causing the digestive problems.

Time to start over and make the switch with the method that been proven successful by thousands of raw feeders:

1) Fast both dogs for 24 hours

2) After, 24 hours, feed one protein source, chicken, in a small amount (e.g., chicken wing) for the first evening meal (assuming fast ends in evening).

3) Wait 2 or 3 hours and feed another small amount of chicken (e.g., chicken wing) for second evening meal.

4) Next morning, feed a little larger chicken part (e.g., chicken leg).

5) You should be see some stools by now. If stools are firming up, wait 3 or 4 hours and feed another chicken leg. Feed 2 more meals for the day gradually increasing the size up to a leg and thigh combo as the last meal.

6) If stools very loose at any time, wait 4 to 6 hours and feed a smaller portion of chicken and continue on as before.

7) If everything goes well (firmer stool) you want to work your way up to 3 larger chicken meals the next day and then the final routine 2 large meals the day after that.

Keep in mind:
    - Loose stools - smaller portions and less time between meals
    - Firmer stools - larger portions and more time between meals
    - Get them used to one protein source (e.g., chicken) and nothing else and then you can gradually introduce a new protein source by the above method (without the fasting)
    - No veggies, no cooked, no grains and especially NO KIBBLE. You need to go cold turkey (excuse the pun) when switching to raw

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

kaytris is offline Senior Member

Bear in mind that some dogs may not be able to handle a home-prepared raw diet, for a variety of reasons... there are other options, be they home-cooked meals, pre made raw, or (yes, possibly) a high quality kibble.

Baloo317 is offline Senior Member

There is also a "detox" (although I'm not entirely sure that's the right word) that many dogs go through when switching to raw. I also switched cold turkey 100%, and I still got some slimy/runny poops on occasion, so it's not unheard of.

It gets easier once you find your groove. I'm still learning and tweaking here and there, and my guys have been on raw for 2 and a half months.

I'd follow jlab's regime and see how that goes, good luck!
    Kate
    Baloo - 5 year old black lab
    Peanut - 7 year old minpin
    Monster - 3-ish year old frenchie/jack, rescue
    We're Superdogs!

jlab Guest

In my experience, dogs "not able to handle a raw diet" is almost always due to how we feed a raw diet. Many people give up when they run into loose stools or a dog turns up his nose at raw. The longer a dog is on a commercial dog food, the more acclimated that dog is to that diet and the harder it is to make the switch. This is especially true when disease has developed as a result of the commercial diet. In these cases, you may have to make more of an effort to eventually find the appropriate raw diet for those conditions but IMO it is well worth the effort.

A dog's digestive system evolved over millions of years to handle a raw diet. To continually state that "some dogs may not be able to handle a home-prepared raw diet" shows a lack of basic knowledge, lack of experience, or concluding that disease is so entrenched that a dog can no longer handle any food.

kaytris is offline Senior Member

the mucuousy stool wouldn't concern me as much as the blood in stool would. That shouldn't be happening, and its happening for a reason - might be something minor, might not be.

Yes, in a perfect world, a raw diet SHOULD be an ideal diet for all dogs. It resolved Kaylie's stomach issues and gave her the chance to recover and heal - I attribute raw feeding with eliminating her recurring troubles with colitis. But for a number of reasons, it isn't always the best method. If my dog was having constant diarrhea and bloody stool, I'd be more than a little concerned about what I was feeding, whether it was kibble, homecooked or raw.

My opinion, take it for what it's worth.

Baloo317 is offline Senior Member

Personally I think raw isn't for everybody for a multitude of reasons. BUT, I think it's way too early in the game to write it off as of yet.
    Kate
    Baloo - 5 year old black lab
    Peanut - 7 year old minpin
    Monster - 3-ish year old frenchie/jack, rescue
    We're Superdogs!

jlab Guest

Quote Originally Posted by kaytris
    the mucuousy stool wouldn't concern me as much as the blood in stool would. That shouldn't be happening, and its happening for a reason - might be something minor, might not be.
    A little blood sometimes in the stool the first couple months of feeding raw is not unusual. If it's in every stool, predominates the stool or goes beyond a couple months, then this is an entirely different issue. If this were the case, I'd pay the vet a visit to check it out.

I've never heard a case of raw chicken itself causing bloody stools (chicken bones are very soft). I've heard of other first time raw feeders with this issue thinking it was the problem but later discover another condition after a vet visit (e.g., parasites, viral infection, anal sac infection). The raw chicken itself would tend to help not cause or contribute to the problem.

But I'm all for going to the vet at any time and spending a few bucks to have peace of mind if it's really bothering you. Better to pay a few dollars than suffer through sleepless nights worring about it.

copilot is offline Member

Thanks so much for the advice! Keep it coming if anyone has other thoughts. Much appreciated.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast