Raw diet has brought upon new problem..
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Raw diet has brought upon new problem..

JustineNYC Guest

DefaultRaw diet has brought upon new problem..

Dale is 5 and I have NEVER EVER had a problem with his anal glands, until.....I switched to raw.

A few weeks ago I caught him scooting twice, and hes been chewing back there, so I went out and bought him some canned pumpkin and wa-lah he stopped. Now hes doing it again.

Now I read that canned pumpkin works because it hardens the stool so as the stool passes it expresses the anal sac naturally. Ever since I switched Dale to raw he has tiny tiny stools. Their like little milk duds, hardly enough to express the anal gland as they pass, Dale is 96 pounds btw....is this why this problem has arisen now?

Does raw = little poops = anal sac build up?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Baloo317 is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Raw diet has brought upon new problem..

I found I had some poop "issues" until I re-added the veggies, Justine. My guys just seemed to need the fiber. Now they probably get veggies like, 5-6 days out of the week.

I use baby food, as I could never pulverize them enough.
    Kate
    Baloo - 5 year old black lab
    Peanut - 7 year old minpin
    Monster - 3-ish year old frenchie/jack, rescue
    We're Superdogs!

jlab Guest

Justine,

Why not just feed whole pork necks on a regular basis (once or twice a week). I do and don't have that problem.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Fallriver is offline Senior Member

Yep, sounds like too little bone to me. Do you feed a prepared food? A good bone meal will be hard and large and that will express the glands very well.
    Dana

To err is human:To forgive, canine."
    - Anonymous

JustineNYC Guest

Quote Originally Posted by FallRiver
    Yep, sounds like too little bone to me. Do you feed a prepared food? A good bone meal will be hard and large and that will express the glands very well.
    This is his feeding schedule, except I nixed the veggies....

https://www.justlabradors.com/forum/i...c,74326.0.html

Is that too little bone? I mean his poop is hard, but its just hard balls, maybe 3 or 4.

JustineNYC Guest

Quote Originally Posted by jlab
    Justine,

Why not just feed whole pork necks on a regular basis (once or twice a week). I do and don't have that problem.
    I still havent found them. The three places that have them, their already cut into about 3-4 inch cubes.

jlab Guest

Quote Originally Posted by JustineNYC
    Justine,

I still havent found them. The three places that have them, their already cut into about 3-4 inch cubes.
    Did you ask the meat manager or butcher to just give you the whole ones before they cut them up? Every place I've gone, they also have the 3-4 inch cubes sitting out in the meat aisle. But they come in to the store as whole pork necks packed in boxes. You need to ask them for the whole ones before they cut them up, package them and and put them in the meat aisle. It's really less work for them.

Baloo317 is offline Senior Member

Have you tried feeding her the whole fish, Justine? so she has to chew it and such? I wonder if she's just swallowing the peices whole and it's too much for her tummy to try to break down, so it just gives it back. :vomit:
    Kate
    Baloo - 5 year old black lab
    Peanut - 7 year old minpin
    Monster - 3-ish year old frenchie/jack, rescue
    We're Superdogs!

JustineNYC Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Baloo317
    Have you tried feeding her the whole fish, Justine? so she has to chew it and such? I wonder if she's just swallowing the peices whole and it's too much for her tummy to try to break down, so it just gives it back. :vomit:
    You mean for Molly? Yea, Ive always given her whole, that was the one time it was cut up.

JustineNYC Guest

Quote Originally Posted by JustineNYC
    Justine,

Did you ask the meat manager or butcher to just give you the whole ones before they cut them up? Every place I've gone, they also have the 3-4 inch cubes sitting out in the meat aisle. But they come in to the store as whole pork necks packed in boxes. You need to ask them for the whole ones before they cut them up, package them and and put them in the meat aisle. It's really less work for them.
    Im going to try. The 2 places I get my meat from that actually carry neck bones the employees speak zero english. I point to anything I order so its a headache. Im also going to try another place tomorrow or get my friend Vivian to come with me, she speaks Chinese.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast