Just puked up yesterday's breakfast
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Just puked up yesterday's breakfast

YellowLabProject is offline Senior Member

DefaultJust puked up yesterday's breakfast

We had our first bad feeding episode. I would not call it bad, but don't have a better word. Tiegan threw up solid chunks of chicken necks from yesterday's feeding. She had 6 ozs. as a portion of her breakfast yesterday and then I put filled a kong w/ much smaller chunks in the late evening, I had to leave her in her crate for a few hours and wanted to give her something to do and until I could feed her dinner. In what came up w/ the necks were some slivers of chicken breast that I used during training at noon.
    The chicken necks, maybe 1 1/2 in part of the first throw-up appeared to be larger than the ones from the kong, it was a big mass of food. That would make this 24 hours in her tummy. She had 4 oz. of ground beef in the afternoon and a chicken quarter last night. I have been removing 99% of the skin and fat from the quarters, last night I left on about 10% of skin/fat. She threw up three times right in a row w/ the last one being all liquid. All the liquid that came up was brown and smelled really bad....
    Any thoughts about the whole thing.
    The one thing I noticed just before she did commence, she wined like.... I don't feel good.... something I have not heard before from her. Just a note of observation on my part for future issues.

Thanks,

Doug
    www.ecboardco.com

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

WillV341 is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Just puked up yesterday's breakfast

hey Doug,

Ive had a similar experience with Oscar. The issue was that the chicken went bad (unbeknownst to me.) and didnt agree with Oscars tummy. Unfortunately he had a 1/2 day of diarrhea befor throwing the bad food up. Full chunks of chicken came up with this putrid smell. Did your freezer go warm in the middle of the night w/o you knowing? Maybe you should get yourself some new chicken??

just my $.02
    OSCAR!!!!!! <br />born 11/16/07

Nick,
    Did not have any trouble w/ refridgerator or freezer. Don't think the chicken was bad.... Tiegan did not have the runs, in fact her two stools were solid, hard. The thing that I am interested to hear about is if the chicken neck did come back up after 18-24 hours, how it was not digested. If it had not come back up whole, or she had gotten runny stools, bad chicken could be a possibility... I am guessing.

Doug
    www.ecboardco.com

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Baloo317 is offline Senior Member

I'd be a little worried about a blockage, Doug, if it can't go through it usually comes back up, if you know what I mean. Could she have gotten into anything?
    Kate
    Baloo - 5 year old black lab
    Peanut - 7 year old minpin
    Monster - 3-ish year old frenchie/jack, rescue
    We're Superdogs!

YellowJakesMom is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Baloo317
    I'd be a little worried about a blockage, Doug, if it can't go through it usually comes back up, if you know what I mean. Could she have gotten into anything?
    Same worry here. Is she eating/drinking normally now? What about bowel movements - did she have one today? What was it like?

Only after the last tree has been cut down, only after the last river has been poisoned, only after the last fish has been caught, only then will you find that money cannot be eaten. - Cree prophecy

Kate,
    The blockage thought makes sense and a good one, but she pooped yesterday twice, good and easy, no straining. She pooped today twice good, her last stool was super firm, like solid clay. I poked at it with a stick- fun- my neighbors probably think I am the neighborhood weirdo---- kids- "stay away from that guy!" Her last bowel movement was at 6pm tonight. The episode happened at 9am this morning, and she had her first bowel movement at 8am.
    I have not fed her today, she drinks okay too.

I really don't think she has gotten into anything, but always possible... meaning that I watch her 99%, but I let her have some freedom. If I am going upstairs I let her follow me, but sometimes there is a lag, if it is longer than 1 minute and she has not come, I go get her, taking note of where she is and what she is doing. Any time this happens she has been lying contently downstairs, her emotions elicit something like "I am not scared being alone, but not needing to get into mischief either- and hey there is Dad, glad to see you"....

I was just doing some cursory reading, that the food travels from the stomach to the small intestine to the large and then out. If there was blockage, it would have occurred in the small intestine- correct?

If it were bad food as a possible suggestion, is my hypothesis correct that it would have been digested more and either vomited or excreted through a bowel movement? Leaving the possibility to blockage? Is it safe to assume the blockage is resolved w/ the vomiting of the large chicken neck?

Should I continue fasting her?

Thanks for your help guys,

Doug
    www.ecboardco.com

jlab Guest

I'm not a vet but by process of elimination (not blockage for the reasons you mention), it appears to be acute pancreatitis.

Fast her for 24 hours and feed first meal after fast with a very small amount of boneless bland (no skin, no fat) chicken breast. Watch her very closely and if the vomiting continues, take her to the vet. Don't let the vet blame raw feeding - there's nothing better that you can feed. It would point to something else going on (e.g., infection) if you have repeated episodes of vomiting/pancreatitis.

Perhaps one of the vet students (e.g., YellowJakesMom) will see and comment on this thread or you may want to send her a PM.

John,
    Just read up on pancreatitis.... not disagreeing- but she does not seem to have any abdomen pain, did not vomit her water intake today. She has her normal moods- piss and vinegar right now... full of attitude.
    I am going to follow your advice and feed her in the morning and monitor.
    The timing and sequence seems off- sounds like blockage... but.
    Can blockage just resolve on it own, and if so maybe that was it?
    www.ecboardco.com

Fallriver is offline Senior Member

If it were pancreatits, she would be in discomfort.
    Here is what I would do personally. I would go hmmm, make a mental note of it, then feed her as usual and probably forget all about it. Chances are, there will be no further incidents. This is not vomiting, this is regurgitation, likely because she swallowed too large a piece. Feed her backs instead of necks (or don't cut up the necks) and I'm sure she will be just fine.
    I wouldn't fast a puppy for 24 hours unless really warranted.
    Dana

To err is human:To forgive, canine."
    - Anonymous

I wanted to post an update. Thanks for the advice, though it is difficult to offer advice when you are personally not there and do not know what took place prior to the incident, I really am grateful for everyone's assistance in the matter.
    At this point Tiegan seems to be back to normal. I still need to monitor her bowel movements, but no puking, or better put by Fallriver- regurgitating- (accurate description there- thanks Dana).
    She ate well today, she has no pain or discomfort in her abdomen region.

Thanks again everyone,

Doug
    www.ecboardco.com

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast