Help - getting discouraged!

Thread: Help - getting discouraged!

puppydaze is offline Junior Member

DefaultHelp - getting discouraged!

Okay so Bodi -8 week old black lab is now on day 5 of Raw and still not a solid poop in site.

Poor little guy continues to be playful and full of bounce but every poop is squish.

He is getting 1.5 lbs a day mostly chicken necks, some quartered chic with bone in.

Saw the vet yesterday and stool check was negative for any nasties but if he's not firmed up by tomorrow she wants another sample.

I really want to stick with this but want to be sure he's doing well, plus crate training nights with liquid poop means an accident involves a bath!

Should I go to the high end kibble the breeder was using to get him solid then add raw evenings?
    should I try meaty turkey frames instead of chicken?

Thanks all

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

sla
    sla is offline Junior Member

DefaultRe: Help - getting discouraged!

Hi, I'm not totally familiar with the raw diets, but know that sometimes loose stools can be asociated with feeding too much, or just too much protein. Are you feeding the right amount, and how much protein is in it? Just like when dogs eat cat food, it doesn't set well because of the higher protein in it. It's like candy to them, but doesn't fit well in their systems. Personally, I do my homework on the dog food companies, and choose a great quality food that I know has everything they need.

4yelloweyedogs is offline Senior Member

I think you are WAY over feeding. You want to start at about 2% of the pups weight, per day. I have a 40 lb. Lab mix, adult, and she doesn't even get 1 lb. a day.

Melissa
    He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.

http://theyelloweyedog.weebly.com/

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

jlab Guest

Usually, loose stools/diarrhea is caused by a new food source or too much food. Since he's been eating chicken for awhile now and in small portions, he should be used to it. That only leaves "too much food" as the likely cause.

henrysmom is offline Senior Member

Agree with the others that your pup is probably just eating too much.

My 68lb, nearly 5-year-old lab doesn't even get 1.5 lbs a day.
    Gorsebrook Jackson Triggs, CD, RN, WC, CGN<br />Kelrobin A Twist of Fate<br /><br />

CaliforniaLabLover is offline Senior Member

It certainly sounds like you have adequate RMB content, so I would agree with the others, that your baby is just probably getting too much food...which is pushing everything through too quickly. Try cutting down the total quantity and see how she does over a couple of days.

Having said that, I did find that, during rapid growth stages with both of my dogs as puppies, there were periods that I had to feed A LOT more than they eat now as adults. Usually, it isn't until they're a bit older puppies, though.

~Julie, Rogue, Monty, and Eddy~

"The reason a dog has so many friends is that he wags his tail instead of his tongue." -Anon

Okay -
    I thought it was 10% of current 13 lbs = 1.3
    or 2% of adult daddy is 90 lbs = 1.8

I will try a lighter amount and see how tomorrow goes.
    Gosh he is so darn cute!

Thanks for the feedback
    he does love eat time!

Jackie is offline Senior Member

Generally, it is 2-3% of current weight. So choosing in the middle, 13 x 2.5 = .325 lbs, which is just over 5 ounces of food per day. This is best spread over 2-3 meals. With a puppy, you'll probably want to do weekly weigh-ins somewhere to make sure that you're making regular adjustments to the amounts since he'll change weights constantly.

Baloo317 is offline Senior Member

For pups it is 2-3 % of intended adult weight BUT it is something you have to work up to. I'd skip a meal, and then start slowly building him up. So, first meal is maybe one or two chicken necks, do that for a day or two, then slight increase, etc. If you get the squishies again, cut back again and start the building up process again.

Good luck! Once you get the hang of it and find your groove it will be really easy, promise!!
    Kate
    Baloo - 5 year old black lab
    Peanut - 7 year old minpin
    Monster - 3-ish year old frenchie/jack, rescue
    We're Superdogs!

Thanks Baloo

I really can't wait til it gets easier!
    he loves the chicken and is all ready learning that eat means it's coming soon.

He's not pooping quite as often since we went down to a lb a day but it's still a real mix of some formed, some squish and some small bone pieces.

Just wish he was adjusting easier so I didn't have to question if he's doing Ok!
    He's drinking well and very playful - when not sleeping like the dead!

At this point I'm trying to tell myself better to stick it out and let him adjust than switch diet yet again to go back to Eagle Holistic!

here's hoping it keeps getting better!
    Trac