Puking up fish....
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Puking up fish....

JustineNYC Guest

DefaultPuking up fish....

The last 2 times I gave Molly mackeral, she threw it up about 20 minutes later. She's never had that happened before, could it have been a bad batch?

I gave her chicken that night and she kept it down fine. How long should I wait before giving fish to her again? Should I try a different kind?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

YellowLabProject is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Puking up fish....

Justine,
    Are you giving her the whole thing, not gutted, and how much? I am not making a statment by my question, just asking....

Doug
    www.ecboardco.com

JustineNYC Guest

Quote Originally Posted by YellowLabProject
    Justine,
    Are you giving her the whole thing, not gutted, and how much? I am not making a statment by my question, just asking....

Doug
    I gave her the whole thing, but I let the guy in the fish market cut it open and clean it first. is that bad? And it was just one, small mackeral....just a little bigger then the whiting.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

No I don't think anything bad by letting them clean it. In fact, by cleaning it, it eliminates a part, helping to identify the problem. I have fed Tiegan Mackerel twice, whole intact, not cleaned. But the innards are quite narly looking, kind of gross to me!

I would suggest monitoring how much you give her, I have not fed Tiegan a whole one at one time. I cut it up into 1/3rds and dole it out that way... that is how I know the insides are so gross.... The ones available to me are just about 1 pound a piece.

Fallriver and JLab will most likely have more nutritional base info... I am just trying to help you troubleshoot it w/ what my little bit of experience. If she does it again based on giving her less, try a different fish in the same smaller qty. and see what happens. I don't know if you are already feeding her fish, in which my suggestion is mute....

Good luck...
    www.ecboardco.com

JustineNYC Guest

No I don't think anything bad by letting them clean it. In fact, by cleaning it, it eliminates a part, helping to identify the problem. I have fed Tiegan Mackerel twice, whole intact, not cleaned. But the innards are quite narly looking, kind of gross to me!

I would suggest monitoring how much you give her, I have not fed Tiegan a whole one at one time. I cut it up into 1/3rds and dole it out that way... that is how I know the insides are so gross.... The ones available to me are just about 1 pound a piece.

Fallriver and JLab will most likely have more nutritional base info... I am just trying to help you troubleshoot it w/ what my little bit of experience. If she does it again based on giving her less, try a different fish in the same smaller qty. and see what happens. I don't know if you are already feeding her fish, in which my suggestion is mute....

Good luck...

What do you mean, feeding her fish since she puked? No.

She puked up fish on Friday (2nd time), and I havent given it to her since. She gets it every friday.

The mackerals I get are about 7 inches long and their 1.99 a pound, and I get two for that.....so Im guessing one is a half pound. I thought it was alright to give her the whole thing because its small compared to lets say.....a large chicken quarter that I give her. In fact I usually give her fish with tripe, and it just so happened I gave it to her alone, both times.

The last two successful fish feedings were whiting though, and they are a little smaller then the mackeral. I know different types of mackeral are different sizes.....they have spanish mackeral in there and their huge.

Should I try little bits of a different fish and mix with it with something, or just give her, lets say a little whiting and see if she holds it down.

Quote Originally Posted by JustineNYC
    No I knew you would not be feeding her fish while she was having trouble. Sorry if it was not written well. What I was intending to ask/state is to try other types of fish. But I was betting that you probablly already feed other types and my suggestion would not be useful, but just in case you don't then we could look at that for some answers...

If you have given her mackerel before mixed w/ tripe then we could consider that she is ok w/ mackerel. What we have to look at is how much do you give her when you give her tripe, if it is less, try that portion next feeding. Also like you stated that could it be a bad batch. What I have read here is that dogs will not eat food that is spoiled for them. I have no experience here, only can offer what I have read. But there were reports years ago about fish being sold that did not conform to safety standards. So it is a possibility. IMO you are working through the possiblities... hopefully the two experts here will chime in. I will do some digging around and see if I can find out any other info on it. Keep me posted if you find anything...
    www.ecboardco.com

jlab Guest

Justine,

For some reason, mackeral takes more time for dogs to get used to compared to other fish. Was it fresh? Or did you leave it out for a few days before feeding? If fresh, I would go with Doug's suggestion and feed smaller portions to get her used to it. Make sure you do a 24 hour fast before her next feeding of anything to get her back to normal.

If it were me, I just wouldn't fool with Mackeral anymore and just feed some other fish that she tolerates well. I don't think it's worth the trouble.

JustineNYC Guest

No I knew you would not be feeding her fish while she was having trouble. Sorry if it was not written well. What I was intending to ask/state is to try other types of fish. But I was betting that you probablly already feed other types and my suggestion would not be useful, but just in case you don't then we could look at that for some answers...
    Ohhhhh ok, I got ya.

[quote=YellowLabProject ]
    If you have given her mackerel before mixed w/ tripe then we could consider that she is ok w/ mackerel. What we have to look at is how much do you give her when you give her tripe, if it is less, try that portion next feeding. Also like you stated that could it be a bad batch. What I have read here is that dogs will not eat food that is spoiled for them. I have no experience here, only can offer what I have read. But there were reports years ago about fish being sold that did not conform to safety standards. So it is a possibility. IMO you are working through the possiblities... hopefully the two experts here will chime in. I will do some digging around and see if I can find out any other info on it. Keep me posted if you find anything...
    I cant tell you how many times shes had mackeral but I can tell you shes gotten whiting more. Alot of times the place over here is completely out of mackeral.

brody is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by jlab
    Justine,
    If it were me, I just wouldn't fool with Mackeral anymore and just feed some other fish that she tolerates well. I don't think it's worth the trouble.
    me too
    http://andrea-agilityaddict.blogspot.com/

“I am only one, but still I am one. I cannot do everything, but still I can do something; and because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do something that I can do.” H. Keller

JustineNYC Guest

Quote Originally Posted by jlab
    Justine,

For some reason, mackeral takes more time for dogs to get used to compared to other fish. Was it fresh? Or did you leave it out for a few days before feeding? If fresh, I would go with Doug's suggestion and feed smaller portions to get her used to it. Make sure you do a 24 hour fast before her next feeding of anything to get her back to normal.

Oh really, I didnt know that. Yea it was fresh...I fed it to her a few hours after I brought it home. Im going to wait until next weekend and try the whiting again.

Shes done really well on raw this is the only thing Ive fed that made a 2nd appearance.

I finally found somewhere that carries turkey parts, so we're trying that out tonight.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast