a bad day at the vet. (not me)

Thread: a bad day at the vet. (not me)

WillV341 is offline Senior Member

Defaulta bad day at the vet. (not me)

Sorry for putting this here, just dont know if the rest of the forum would appreciate it as much as the holistic practitioners...

So, Im on this automotive forum and I frequent the OT room there. Lately there have been some posts about dogs, but this one struck a chord in my head. It's about this guy who brings his dog to the vet for KENNEL COUGH and the vet prescribes him some meds. Shorty after the dog get pancreatitis (sp?)!!!

I mentioned holistic treatments and raw diets. Just providing a couple links but not going anywhere near into detail. There were no others that commented other than "get wells soon" and the like. I was still under the assumption that this guy was getting royally, um... burned, by his vet.

Here is his first post...

*copy/pasted quotes*
    "So I come from a very "unemotional" family - and my dog of 2 yrs got really sick the last week and has pancreatitis ( however that shit is spelled) from some drugs she got for kennel cough - me and my women have split this week with work at home taking care of her making sure we dont have to put her into some friggin vet hospital. - Anyway I tell this to my mother and she says "are you gonna have to put her to sleep" ? wtf - anyway what in hell is up with people that dont have a dog and than can't understand its a part of your family ?"

after a bunch of "hope all gets better", "get well soon" and some other people telling him that it would be cheaper to put it down and get a new dog... he posts this...

"Well the last two days my dog went to the vet and got water shots under her skin to hydrate and some pepcid shot s to aid w/ digestive issues. Right now the enzyme levels are right below "pancreatitis" status and the vet is leaning towards ultrasound & hospitalization. - Outside the ridiculous amount of $$$ that would cost - the stress on her would probally kill her anyway. Slowly she's making progress she's more active and she's not shaking anymore so she's not as in much pain. Trust me I paid 4x over the value of this dog by now - after getting her I find out she had pnuemonia so there was xrays and the whole shebang. The way I see it is if you have the $$ to do it than there really isnt any other option. If I can buy car parts than there is no reason not to keep my dog alive n' kickin. - especially since she's great security"

I mean, this whole thread just makes me :surprise:

I would link you to the thread but you must be a member to get into OT. Also sorry for such a long post, but I had to share it with someone. Discuss..
    OSCAR!!!!!! <br />born 11/16/07

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

ObedienceLabs4Me is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: a bad day at the vet. (not me)

It can be heartbreaking, especially once you see th benefits of holistic health care along with traditional and the raw diet. But, we are a nation of followers, not encouraged to research out. We will rebel but often without the correct information necessary. Keep feeding those little tid-bits. Some will begin to come around. I know I did!
    Susan
    UCDX GRCH Dunn's Marsh Caleb of Waltona UDX3, OM3, RAE Canadian UD, RE
    FallRiver's Micah of Waltona GN RAE, Canadian CD, RN

www.labmed.org

Tia
    Tia is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Yellow Boys Mom
    It can be heartbreaking, especially once you see th benefits of holistic health care along with traditional and the raw diet. But, we are a nation of followers, not encouraged to research out. We will rebel but often without the correct information necessary. Keep feeding those little tid-bits. Some will begin to come around. I know I did!
    I second this.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

TangerineFizz is offline Senior Member

Sounds a bit to me like maybe he got this dog from a BYB, and it came with more health issues then just the pneumonia.
    Me, Abzilla and the Helomonster.

Baloo317 is offline Senior Member

If the dog has pancreatitis a raw diet may be a very very bad idea. My cat has pancreatitis, and feeding her raw nearly killed her. :death:

She's on a holistic-vet-forumulated homecooked diet now and doing fantastically, but I would suggest that he see a holistic vet, because creating a diet for an animal with "issues" is a very difficult and delicate procedure, doing it wrong can very well have fatal consequences. :surprise:

I feel bad for the poor guy, and the poor dog.
    Kate
    Baloo - 5 year old black lab
    Peanut - 7 year old minpin
    Monster - 3-ish year old frenchie/jack, rescue
    We're Superdogs!

WillV341 is offline Senior Member

I feel bad for the guys and his dog as well. He seems like he cares so much but the fees and meds just keep piling up. the thing that get sme is 1/2 the responses were along the lines of "well if it cost 8k to cure its illness, and a new dog costs less than 800, just let it die and get a new one." like WTF?!?!
    OSCAR!!!!!! <br />born 11/16/07