I feel like such an...
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: I feel like such an...

WillV341 is offline Senior Member

DefaultI feel like such an...

a-hole.

I spent a good amount of my money (saving for rent and food for myself) on 2 weeks worth of food for Oscar. That same night my fridge had a freak breakdown and ALL my food got ruined. It was the only time its EVER happened and it had to happen the night I buy a nice supply of food. ALL the food went bad and was ruined. Ever since then my g/f is double-guessing the whole raw diet on account of the expense. Ive been trying to inform her how much we would end up saving (no vets, no meds, no "dental health" products...) but she insisted that we wait a week or so and talk about it. Now here I am, got a new bag of Eukanuba LBP for the upcoming week or so, and right next to me is Oscar, itching his little butt off from the kibble. I mean Ive NEVER seen him itch this much on raw, and right now Im feeling like the biggest piece of crap for feeding him that garbage. Also, within the past few days, hes gotten a REALLY bad doggie odor, and his breath is quite rank. All from less than a week of kibble...

Sorry for the rant, Im just hoping to get back in the game this weekend (trip to Costco WILL be rewarding.)
    OSCAR!!!!!! <br />born 11/16/07

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

imported_eastcoastmom is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: I feel like such an...

Ive been trying to inform her how much we would end up saving (no vets, no meds, no "dental health" products...)
    No vets? :suspious:

My Angus broke his toe about 11 weeks ago, he was in a cast for 8 weeks, we had several xrays and cast changes...it cost us over $800. Angus is partially raw fed and his diet had zero to do wih him breaking his toe.

Just letting you know that because your dog is raw fed doesn't mean you won't be at the vet. Vax are only once a year to once every 3 years, and most vet visits are for something other than a routine vax.
    &quot;Find out who you are and do it on purpose.&quot;

I understand all that. Its the food-based problems that I wont have to deal with as much. Also keeping his immune system up will keep me from bringing him to the vet for stupid things. I dunno, I guess Im just feeling bad cause his diet went from amazing to crap in 1 day flat.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

At the risk of sounding like a bitch, may I ask why your girlfriend is making dietary decisions for YOUR dog? or is Oscar hers too?

Oscar is OUR dog. We both adopted him so she gets equal say. She does trust that it is the best thing for him, but if our fridge is on the fritz we cant afford to keep buying him food just to have it go bad. Im currently looking for a "chest"-type freezer to keep his food in so we wont have to worry.

imported_kelli is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by WillV341
    Now here I am, got a new bag of Eukanuba LBP for the upcoming week or so, and right next to me is Oscar, itching his little butt off from the kibble. I mean Ive NEVER seen him itch this much on raw, and right now Im feeling like the biggest piece of crap for feeding him that garbage. Also, within the past few days, hes gotten a REALLY bad doggie odor, and his breath is quite rank. All from less than a week of kibble...

Sorry for the rant, Im just hoping to get back in the game this weekend (trip to Costco WILL be rewarding.)
    A lot of people feed their dogs that "garbage" w/o any problems.. so your choice of words make you more of an a-hole than feeding kibble to a dog does.. but perhaps rather than having a hissy fit about a few days worth of food making him itch, perhaps try a grain-free kibble and see how that works?
    &quot;I&#39;m glad I&#39;m back too, Kel. You know your so special to me. Could not imagine my life without you in it. &quot; - Ma<br /><br />They were your words, Ma.. I wish they had been mine. I miss you.

Oscar is OUR dog. We both adopted him so she gets equal say. She does trust that it is the best thing for him, but if our fridge is on the fritz we cant afford to keep buying him food just to have it go bad. Im currently looking for a "chest"-type freezer to keep his food in so we wont have to worry.
    Does the fridge work now? You can get a small chest freezer for under $200 new. Oscar will suvive a few days on kibble. Or if you are that concerned about feeding him kibble, why not just make do with going to the store every few days for fresh instead of bulk frozen, unil you get a freezer? it may cost a bit more for a little while, but since you seem so distraught over feeding him kibble it seems like the most reasonable solution...buy a mackerel, a whole chicken...etc, enough for a few days. No problem, right?

imported_CindersMyGirl is offline Senior Member

I didn't know chest type freezers never broke.

So in this post I learned you don't need a vet if you feed raw and chest type freezers never break. Learn somethin' new everyday.

Quote Originally Posted by CindersMyGirl
    I didn't know chest type freezers never broke.

So in this post I learned you don't need a vet if you feed raw and chest type freezers never break. Learn somethin' new everyday.
    Remind me to tell you my "10lb lb of frozen lobster carcasses thawed in a broken chest freezer for 2 weeks, unbeknownst to us" story sometime. Needless to say, the freezer couldn't be saved :death:

Damn, why all the hate? I just feel bad for my dog cause he is obviously miserable on this "garbage" : Im not saying that he can't survive on it or its doing any horrible damage to him, he was just a LOT happier/energetic on the raw as apposed to the kibble.

I would go to the store day-to-day to get through but thats the problem, I cant afford to do that. I never said that a chest-type freezer wont break, but its easier to keep cool as there are me and 2 others in my house and the fridge/freezer is opened a lot and I think thats why it got so warm before (someone didnt close the freezer all the way). If I had a freezer for just his food, I would be the only one in and out of it.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast