Help with a raw recipe

Thread: Help with a raw recipe

Labs4me is offline Senior Member

DefaultHelp with a raw recipe

Just was wondering if this is a good recipe for a beginner wanting to do raw food? If not what additions/deletions would you recommend?
    http://seespotlivelonger.com/articles/recipes.html
    Bonnie ~ Ellsworth Labradors
    Home to Ellsworth's Playing For Keeps CGC, U-CH SHR Ellsorth's Absolut Pleasure, Ellsworth's Good Luck Charm
    Gone but not forgotten: Franklin's Lucy of Ellsworth; Franklin's Rare Treat; U-CD Franklin's Rockin' Robin CDX, WC, CGC; Alpha-Omega's Mustang Salli CDX, CGC

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Tia
    Tia is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Help with a raw recipe

My opinion: Yes, this recipe is better than feeding your dog kibble. Since you are just starting out with raw, I don't see anything wrong with feeding this until you get used to it. But my end goal would be to move over to a prey model diet. Meaning feeding raw meaty bones (ex. chicken wings/backs), muscle meat and organ meat. You'll find that after mixing up that recipe a few times, switching over to a prey model diet will be much easier...no veggies to prepare, no bone meal powder to buy etc.

I know starting raw takes some learning up front. Have you read Tom Lonsdale's book...I forget the title. You could do a search for his name on this forum, I believe you'll find a link to his free ebook.

But yeah, I'd go ahead and get started with the link you provided...with the intention of moving to a prey model diet. Good luck!

4yelloweyedogs is offline Senior Member

That sounds like TOO much work , and too many ingredients for me.;.... I've only been feeding my guys raw for about 3 or 4 weeks now, but I jumped in and started feeding complete raw, right away. I started with just chicken necks, and have progressed from there. It is a LOT easier than what that article suggests.

Melissa
    He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.

http://theyelloweyedog.weebly.com/

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Baloo317 is offline Senior Member

I think it sounds good to get you started. I started out on a very formulaic, recipe-type diet and it worked well for me when I was first starting out, until I felt comfortable enough to branch out and start feeding without the recipe "safety net", if you will.

So yah, sounds like a great place to start to me.
    Kate
    Baloo - 5 year old black lab
    Peanut - 7 year old minpin
    Monster - 3-ish year old frenchie/jack, rescue
    We're Superdogs!

Labs4me is offline Senior Member

No I have not read Tom Lonsdale's book, I will have to look it up. The "recipe-type" diet gives me kind of a safety net right now. I think (like you said) that after I while I will start to feel more comfortable with the whole idea. Thanks for the tips.
    Bonnie ~ Ellsworth Labradors
    Home to Ellsworth's Playing For Keeps CGC, U-CH SHR Ellsorth's Absolut Pleasure, Ellsworth's Good Luck Charm
    Gone but not forgotten: Franklin's Lucy of Ellsworth; Franklin's Rare Treat; U-CD Franklin's Rockin' Robin CDX, WC, CGC; Alpha-Omega's Mustang Salli CDX, CGC

ObedienceLabs4Me is offline Senior Member

When I began Caleb on raw I gave him chicken backs for a few weeks and then began to introduce other protien sources. In the long run, feeding raw is not much work. It is fairly simple.
    Susan
    UCDX GRCH Dunn's Marsh Caleb of Waltona UDX3, OM3, RAE Canadian UD, RE
    FallRiver's Micah of Waltona GN RAE, Canadian CD, RN

www.labmed.org