Whole bones in stool....
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Whole bones in stool....

map1986 is offline Senior Member

DefaultWhole bones in stool....

Maggie has recently been passing bones when she goes to the bathroom. It doesn't seem very normal, but is it? We are feeding her four chicken wings in the morning and four at night. Am I doing something wrong?
    Maggie & Ivy, the loves of my life!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Baloo317 is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Whole bones in stool....

That's a lot of bone!

Wings are very bony, so she's probably not able to break all of it down. What else is in her diet?
    Kate
    Baloo - 5 year old black lab
    Peanut - 7 year old minpin
    Monster - 3-ish year old frenchie/jack, rescue
    We're Superdogs!

jlab Guest

Quote Originally Posted by map1986
    Maggie has recently been passing bones when she goes to the bathroom. It doesn't seem very normal, but is it? We are feeding her four chicken wings in the morning and four at night. Am I doing something wrong?
    When switching over cold turkey from kibble to raw, I've noticed that it takes a few weeks for their digestive systems to fully adjust and do a good job digesting the chicken bones. If you're not 100% raw, I would expect the process to take even longer for the adjustment. Try feeding boneless chicken every other day to make it easier for her to adjust.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Apollopuppy is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Baloo317
    That's a lot of bone!
    That's what I was thinking! Why not try chicken thighs in the morning and then wings or legs at night? I know the bones are weight bearing, but my 3lb ferrets have never had a problem chewing and digesting these bones, so I dont see why a dog would have trouble. Thighs and legs are meatier and have less bone. I used to feed alot of wings to my ferrets when I first started them on raw, but I gradually switched over to thighs because I realized they were really eating too much bone.

Hope this helps

-Giuli
    Love,<br />Giuli<br /><br />

WillV341 is offline Senior Member

*disclaimer* (for my critics)
    ^Deep breath^
    I am in no may/shape/form a RAW "guru". I've learned and read a lot (still am) and am just giving my thoughts and experiences with this situation with my raw-fed dog. Do NOT take it as advice, as I'm apparently not capable of giving sound advice. Take it as an experiece noted. However you take my comments is up to you...

whew.
    so whats up,
    Oscar did this for a little bit as well. It went away, but I never fed two meals of RawMeatyBone in a day. I usually did breakfast MuscleMeat (in my case, ground beef or turkey, frozen in kong), and then the RMB (turkey/chicken necks/back) for dinner. He still had a little bone in his stool in the beginning, but it went away (for the most part). If you have a kong for her, maybe you can try MM for a meal...

;D

OSCAR!!!!!! <br />born 11/16/07

JustineNYC Guest

Quote Originally Posted by map1986
    Kates right, that is alot of bone, and there isnt alot of meat on those suckers. Try chicken quarters....I get a whole bag real cheap at my market. When mine eat them, the only bone I see are the ends and their small and not sharp. I do feed wings maybe once a week. Chicken is great, but you can try different parts of the chicken.

JustineNYC Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Apollopuppy
    That's a lot of bone!
    That's what I was thinking! Why not try chicken thighs in the morning and then wings or legs at night? I know the bones are weight bearing, but my 3lb ferrets have never had a problem chewing and digesting these bones, so I dont see why a dog would have trouble. Thighs and legs are meatier and have less bone. I used to feed alot of wings to my ferrets when I first started them on raw, but I gradually switched over to thighs because I realized they were really eating too much bone.

Hope this helps

-Giuli
    Are chicken bones really weigh bearing? Their hollow arent they? I used to watch Dale eat when we first started raw because it was fascinating to me to watch him tear apart a chicken.....when he chomped down on the bone, the inside was red and liquid/hollow.

Baloo317 is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by JustineNYC
    That's a lot of bone!

Hope this helps

-Giuli
    Are chicken bones really weigh bearing? Their hollow arent they? I used to watch Dale eat when we first started raw because it was fascinating to me to watch him tear apart a chicken.....when he chomped down on the bone, the inside was red and liquid/hollow.
    Weight bearing just refers to the fact that those are the bones that support the animals weight. All bird bones are hollow (I'm pretty sure..?) but the ones that are designed to bear the animal's weight are denser/stronger than say, those bones that make up their back, necks and wings.

I will feed chicken legs as part of the whole bird, but never anything weight bearing from any animal larger than a chicken.
    Kate
    Baloo - 5 year old black lab
    Peanut - 7 year old minpin
    Monster - 3-ish year old frenchie/jack, rescue
    We're Superdogs!

JustineNYC Guest

That's a lot of bone!

Hope this helps

-Giuli
    Weight bearing just refers to the fact that those are the bones that support the animals weight. All bird bones are hollow (I'm pretty sure..?) but the ones that are designed to bear the animal's weight are denser/stronger than say, those bones that make up their back, necks and wings.

I will feed chicken legs as part of the whole bird, but never anything weight bearing from any animal larger than a chicken.
    Ohh ok. I was thinking steak bones.

Apollopuppy is offline Senior Member

That's a lot of bone!

Hope this helps

-Giuli

What she said lol
    Love,<br />Giuli<br /><br />

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast