A question about allergies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A question about allergies

Baloo317 is offline Senior Member

DefaultA question about allergies

My minpin forum is a total ghost town (and I'm the only one who feeds raw) so I thought I'd ask this here, hope you don't mind...

A little history:

A few times, Peanut has gotten into/reacted to *something* and gotten little hive like welts on the top of her head. I would give her a bit of baby benedryl, and they would go away. This happened about three times in her life.

Last thursday, she got the same thing, and I gave her baby benedryl like before. This time, it did nothing, and she just continued to get worse. her whole head swelled, and she had swelling under her chin as well. Took her to the vet friday and she was given a shot of prednisone. The vet gave me some to take home with instructions to keep her on it for a few days and then wean her off. Saturday morning she was totally fine, so I decided to forego the pred, as I really don't like giving her steroids. I kept her on slightly stronger benedryl.

Monday afternoon her whole left ear/side of head had swollen up again. So, I quickly gave her the pred and proceeded with it as directed. It's now time to wean her off from 1/2 tab every 12 hours to 1/2 tab every 24 hours. So, she didn't get the night time dose, and this morning her head was bumpy again. So more pred. :scare: :'(

I have no idea what is causing this reaction. I have wracked my brain over and over again trying to figure out what she could be reacting to, and literally nothing has changed. She hasn't eaten anything in the past week that she hasn't had a million times before, no new detergent, cleaning products, treats. Nothing.

Any ideas on what I should do? What would you do if it were your dog?

Kate
    Baloo - 5 year old black lab
    Peanut - 7 year old minpin
    Monster - 3-ish year old frenchie/jack, rescue
    We're Superdogs!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

jlab Guest

DefaultRe: A question about allergies

Allergies are tough to figure out. Could it be any recent vaccines? Have you considered a seasonal allergy? Now with springtime approaching (I'm assuming even in Canada), there's all kinds of allergens in the air.

I think that being on a raw diet is probably the best you can do to strengthen her immune system and lower the risk of future flare-ups. It does take awhile though for the raw diet to build it up.

Nope, no recent vaccines. Argh.
    Kate
    We're Superdogs!

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

YellowLabProject is offline Senior Member

I am sorry little Peanut....
    www.ecboardco.com

JustineNYC Guest

Dont really have anything to offer, just wanted to say Im sorry Kate, I cant imagine how frustrating this is.

What did the vet say about the diagnosis. He gave you prednisone but what was his reasoning for the swelling. Did he offer to do any tests/xrays?

When Dale started getting allergies he was about 2 and they did the same thing. Gave him prednisone, couldnt tell me what was causing it, and like you I took him off of it. Now I know it was the food.....

Could it be a reaction to the raw diet that just didnt show right away?

The vet said that it is clearly an allergic reaction, her histamines are going crazy, basically, which is causing the swelling.

She specifically said that with this type of attack, the vast majority of the time the actual cause is never found. The symptoms are treated when they flare up and a cause is looked for, but it's basically trial and error.

I have a few theories about what *could* be causing it, but I don't know if that's reason or just desperation talking. 

Either way I'll try and eliminate the possible causes and see if that helps. Worst comes to worst, she'll have to go live with my mom for a short while until she's symptom-free, and then we'll slowly expose her to stuff to try and trigger an attack. Assuming what she's allergic to is somewhere in our immediate environment, anyways.
    Kate
    We're Superdogs!

brody is offline Senior Member

I am wondering if you have exposed to a novel for her protien source through the new diet that she's reacting too ....

while we still have snow on the ground people who suffer from spring allergies are flaring up all around me (my cuz is on an inhaler for her allergy related asthma for the first time in her life)

and Sally is a mess ...

not sure Mom's would cure her - if nothing in your inside environment has changed it seems unlikely to me to be something inside your own house

hang in there
    http://andrea-agilityaddict.blogspot.com/

“I am only one, but still I am one. I cannot do everything, but still I can do something; and because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do something that I can do.” H. Keller

I've been over and through her diet with a fine-toothed comb, it would be SO easy if it were diet related.

Even though she's had everything before many times without any problems, I have actually considered putting her on prepared raw (one protein source) exclusively and seeing if that helps, at this point I'll try anything.

The idea of having to medicate her constantly just sucks more than I can say.  :no:

What do you mean by "Sally is a mess..?" Does she get the swelling too?
    Kate
    We're Superdogs!

brody is offline Senior Member

Sally is one day at a time

at the moment she has a little rash and is ITCHY ITCHY

she has had hives ..
    http://andrea-agilityaddict.blogspot.com/

“I am only one, but still I am one. I cannot do everything, but still I can do something; and because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do something that I can do.” H. Keller

Cinder4evr is offline Senior Member

It sounds a lot like a spider bite. But I don't know of anything more you could for a spider bite that you aren't already doing

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast