Meat Grinder and Meat Grinding

Thread: Meat Grinder and Meat Grinding

DefaultMeat Grinder and Meat Grinding

Shopping at the grocery store today for ground chicken led me to one source, Tysons. It was expensive, $3 lb. Wondering if anyone grinds their own chicken and if there are benefits or just pulls the chicken from the bone and feeds it this way. If grinding is a good method, what type of grinder and where to get one from?
    If I purchase quarters, I can get them for .89 lb, but this may be more expensive if there is more bone than meat compared to a whole chicken. Anyone done the comparison on this?

Thanks,

Doug

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: Meat Grinder and Meat Grinding

Would this be the chicken you will use as MM? If so, no point in grinding as you don't need the bone..It would be cheaper to just cut/pull the chicken OFF the leg quarters..I would do that as opposed to spending 3.00lb for it already done..JMO

Jen

Fallriver is offline Senior Member

I would either strip or buy ground for now because this is a short term solution Doug. As you go, you will find better providers and will have more proteins to choose from. You will soon be feeding beef heart and chunks, pork chunks, etc.
    A grinder is a bad investment. Take advantage of nature's toothbrush and all-natural pet amusements ;D ;D
    Dana

To err is human:To forgive, canine."
    - Anonymous

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Hi Jen,
    Yes that was my thought, for MM. So I was thinking the same thing, no need in grinding.... unless something I have not accounted for.
    The other thought is, if a large part of the weight from the hind quarters is the bone and hence what I am paying for, if it would be more financially to pull MM from whole chickens? Then will a meat grinder come in handy. Sorry not trying to be difficult, just pondering different possibilities.

Thanks,

Doug

Good point Dana- thanks....
    Yes I do get a good feeling when she is crushing the bones... my friend was over this last night while Tiegan was going at it and my friend was a bit unprepared for what she saw...

Quote Originally Posted by YellowLabProject
    Hi Jen,
    Yes that was my thought, for MM. So I was thinking the same thing, no need in grinding.... unless something I have not accounted for.
    The other thought is, if a large part of the weight from the hind quarters is the bone and hence what I am paying for, if it would be more financially to pull MM from whole chickens? Then will a meat grinder come in handy. Sorry not trying to be difficult, just pondering different possibilities.

Thanks,

Doug
    Doug if I remember right, as I have pulled chicken off the bone, I got about 7lbs of meat off. Which was a 10lb bag of chicken quarters..You may want to figure from that which would be cheaper..You can pick up chicken quarters for about 4.70 for 10lbs

With the grinder, it would only benefit if you were using the bone in..You would not want to grind the bone in for MM. I do have a meat grinder, but have only used a few times..Unless you have a dog that is unable to chew, etc..You really don't need one..

Jen