Timberwolf Ocean Blue

Thread: Timberwolf Ocean Blue

KLM

DefaultTimberwolf Ocean Blue

I feed mostly raw but keep kibble on hand for 1 or 2 partial meals a week (I never give more than one cup at a time - I just mix it with some other stuff) and as a treat. I have had Nutro Lamb Rice Puppy and with all of this grain issue going on I just don't want to use it anymore. It is getting time to think about buying something new while I still have a good amount of the Nutro left so I can mix it in gradually. After reading some other posts on here I thought I would try Timberwolf Ocean Blue. I was just about to place my order on their website and decided to check out the full ingredients list first. At the end of the list it says: "We do not recommend the feeding of chicken or turkey necks or backs unless included in the proper ratio as a part of the "whole animal". I don't understand what this means exactly?? Various cuts of raw chicken is the main meat I feed Jake. He also gets various organ parts and pork or beef parts along with vegetables and fruit. Should I choose something different than Ocean Blue? Or what does that statement mean?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: Timberwolf Ocean Blue

I think what there saying is that chicken and turkey backs and necks are too boney to be served without adding extra meat. Chicken backs are approx. 55% bone and necks are quite boney as well. With the 80/10/10 model backs and necks alone are too much bone.

How much does this kibble cost? Most of us have found that feeding good quality kibble is almost as if not more expensive than raw. I have two sample bags of the kibble you mention and will give them to a friend this week-end. I just somehow cannot imagine feeding my dog kibble anymore;D

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by loriwolfelabluv
    I think what there saying is that chicken and turkey backs and necks are too boney to be served without adding extra meat. Chicken backs are approx. 55% bone and necks are quite boney as well. With the 80/10/10 model backs and necks alone are too much bone.
    That's what I got from it. If you're just feeding chicken backs, you're not feeding a balanced diet, you're feeding a diet far too heavy on bones.

I know some of the chicken backs I get have more meat than others, but even the ones that have the most meat still lack a proper ratio for a whole prey model (which I follow). The other meat is too expensive to leave on there, by default the chicken backs are the by-products and usually won't have much of the tender or breast left on it.

KLM

Ah ok, I understand now.

Don't worry - I don't just feed chicken backs.

Chocolata - It is $31.58 for a 16 1/2 lb bag. I was going to start out with that size. If it works out they have a 33 lb bag that is $52.65. I feed mostly raw but feel the need to keep kibble on hand as well for certain times and want it to be a grain free kibble.

Quote Originally Posted by KLM

I was going to start out with that size. If it works out they have a 33 lb bag that is $52.65.
    The bigger bag sounds like a good deal olice:

KLM

Oh yeah, if he and his body likes this food then next time I will definitely go for the bigger bag. Well, I say I will but it takes so long for me to go through a bag that I might buy the smaller just to make sure it stays fresh. I have an airtight container that I keep it in but I'm not sure how long that stuff stays fresh for?