How do I go about feeding my dog RAW?

Thread: How do I go about feeding my dog RAW?

DefaultHow do I go about feeding my dog RAW?

Where's a good entrance point to getting "Paz" on this more healthy diet? If I go into the supermarket tomorrow what are some things I can buy? I think lean ground beef, chicken thighs? Could someone give me some things to buy? And how I can feed it to him?
    Paz and I thankyou,
    Ken

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: How do I go about feeding my dog RAW?

Chicken quarters have worked out really well for us. I would give just the one protein source for a week, let his tummy adjust (you're going to have to keep an eye on his bowel movements to tell how he's doing) and if he's adapting well then start adding one thing at a time. I would stay away from parts that are too boney, like chicken backs and wings. You want to be careful not to overdo the calcium.

This group has been really helpful for me, a while back someone on these forums recommended it ... http://pets.groups.yahoo.com/group/rawfeeding/

Search the archives before posting, just about every question you can think of has been answered.

Thankyou Indiana,
    So basically go to the supermarket and get a bag of chicken quarters and feed him one a day? I googled to try and find a butcher in my area but with no luck. I wonder if most of the raw food can be found at a supermarket. I also joined that email list group but for some reason can't see the messages they posted. Guess I have to be a group member first. After the reading I've done on RAW I'm getting excited. My lab "Paz" is 14 and I can tell he's suffering from arthritis now, he also has been having siezures all his life. I feel confident if I get him on this diet that his energy level will increase. Anyways thanks for assisting me.
    ARC,
    Ken

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

I live in Michigan too, and I find that the butchers and farms are way too expensive. I wish I could afford organic, but right now it's just not an option. I find the best deals at Meijer, Village Market and Walmart. I can get bags of chicken quarters for 47 cents per pound at Walmart, just be sure to read the packaging, some of the stores sell the stuff with 12% solution .. better than kibble, but, it's nice if you can find the stuff that's not quite as "enhanced", a lower percentage of solution. Walmart also has beef kidney, heart, tongue and sweetbreads, and chicken livers. They usually have pork necks for 88 cents per pound, that's a boney meal, so I'd add more meat or some organ to it. And of course whole eggs are great, some people feed as many as two per day, I usually give him 1 or 2 every few days when the meal is looking a little small or he still seems hungry.

I'm still looking for a source for safe, whole fish, I'm no fisherman. But if you know some outdoorsmen who fish and hunt ... they almost always have left overs that they're willing to part with. Personally I would freeze anything wild caught for a month first, just because I'm a worry wort ... but lots of people feed it fresh.

Start with a week of just chicken meat and bone. His poops might be off for a few days, but eventually should firm up and be very small. Once that happens you can start to add one thing at a time. Take it slow, let his body adjust.

Oh, and to answer your other question, feed 2-3% of his body weight per day if he's an adult or close to it. If he's a young puppy, you can either feed 5% of his current weight or 2-3% of his expected weight and adjust as necessary.

I found that a digital kitchen scale that I got at Meijer comes in handy.

Quote Originally Posted by Michiganboy

So basically go to the supermarket and get a bag of chicken quarters and feed him one a day?
    That would be a good start ;D While feeding raw is not rocket science, overall it is a little bit more complicated than just giving chicken quarters. We have many good posts on this board that include "How to start guide" if you will. I would go over those posts, and you will get a good idea about what the dogs are fed. If you are not planning to stop feeding kibble completely, remember not to feed raw meat and kibble at the same time.

Good luck!!

Lovemylabs is offline Member

Quote Originally Posted by Michiganboy
    I googled to try and find a butcher in my area but with no luck. I wonder if most of the raw food can be found at a supermarket. I also joined that email list group but for some reason can't see the messages they posted. Guess I have to be a group member first. After the reading I've done on RAW I'm getting excited.
    ARC,
    Ken
    Hi Ken. Where in Michigan are you?? I might be able to help. . .
    Karen.