If I'm feeding prepackaged raw and "real" raw...

Thread: If I'm feeding prepackaged raw and "real" raw...

DefaultIf I'm feeding prepackaged raw and "real" raw...

What I'm doing right now is feeding Henry "real" raw in the morning (chicken leg quarters/turkey or beef heart/turkey liver) and prepackaged raw in the evening. He eats HomeMade4Life.
    http://www.auntjeni.com/homemade.htm#Ingredients
    http://www.pets4life.com/index.php?p=products/h4l

He's been having jello-y/mucous-y poop. Once after a raw meaty beef neck bone a few weeks ago, and twice today. He is otherwise looking like he's feeling fine... eating with gusto, drinking and peeing normally, and playing like a fiend.

This kind of poop means something is too rich for him, right? Could it be if something is too fatty for him? Should I be taking off the chicken skin??

Would it be okay, do you think, to feed him only chicken leg quarters in the morning (no heart or liver) and prepackaged raw in the evening? The prepack has organs (heart, liver) and bone ground in. The US recipe (I couldn't find anything about the Canadian formulation, but I'm assuming it's probably the same?) has 65% muscle/organ/bone and 35% veggies/eggs/etc.

Or, should I be giving him beef heart/turkey liver in the mornings too?

Thanks, in advance!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

ObedienceLabs4Me is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: If I'm feeding prepackaged raw and "real" raw...

Quote Originally Posted by henrysmom
    What I'm doing right now is feeding Henry "real" raw in the morning (chicken leg quarters/turkey or beef heart/turkey liver) and prepackaged raw in the evening. He eats HomeMade4Life.
    http://www.auntjeni.com/homemade.htm#Ingredients
    http://www.pets4life.com/index.php?p=products/h4l

He's been having jello-y/mucous-y poop. Once after a raw meaty beef neck bone a few weeks ago, and twice today. He is otherwise looking like he's feeling fine... eating with gusto, drinking and peeing normally, and playing like a fiend.

This kind of poop means something is too rich for him, right? Could it be if something is too fatty for him? Should I be taking off the chicken skin??

Would it be okay, do you think, to feed him only chicken leg quarters in the morning (no heart or liver) and prepackaged raw in the evening? The prepack has organs (heart, liver) and bone ground in. The US recipe (I couldn't find anything about the Canadian formulation, but I'm assuming it's probably the same?) has 65% muscle/organ/bone and 35% veggies/eggs/etc.

Or, should I be giving him beef heart/turkey liver in the mornings too?

Thanks, in advance!
    Sometimes Caleb will get stool like that after a raw meaty bone. I try to sprinkle some digestive enzymes on his bones as well as his food.

I don't give heart, etc. every day but only once a week cause that is rather rich, too. I might give a mixture with some of it in a few times a week but not everyday. Could be that tripe that was too old.
    Susan
    UCDX GRCH Dunn's Marsh Caleb of Waltona UDX3, OM3, RAE Canadian UD, RE
    FallRiver's Micah of Waltona GN RAE, Canadian CD, RN

www.labmed.org

Thanks Susan!! ;D

I saw you on, and typed the thread quickly, hoping you'd see it!

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

ObedienceLabs4Me is offline Senior Member

Here is a real blunder of mine--gave Caleb a whole meal of heart one day. Boy did he have the runs!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :P :P :P

For whatever reason, Caleb just cannot tolerate stuff without his digestive enzyme. So, I am pretty much to the point where I give it all the time no matter what he eats. I'll even begin to give it to him with his Evo when he eats the dog food.
    Susan
    UCDX GRCH Dunn's Marsh Caleb of Waltona UDX3, OM3, RAE Canadian UD, RE
    FallRiver's Micah of Waltona GN RAE, Canadian CD, RN

www.labmed.org

We had similar issues in the beginnings. I think I was feeding too much veggies and organs. I sticked to chicken for a while and started slowly introducing other stuff. I take it easy with the organs. Also, I give a spoonfull pumpkin, veggie mix and tripe almost every day. My holistic vet recommended pumpkin.

i would also take the chicken skin off the chickens. we do that just because it's so fatty. webster gets his supplements mixed into his evening meal, which is part of the raw diet we make for webster. his evening meal is made up of lean hamburger patties, with tiny bits of kidney in it.. also in the mix is kelp powder, alfalfa powder, lecithin granules, vitamin C powder, cold pressed extra virgin oil, flaxseed oil, and a handful of raisins...then we food process spinich and lettace from our garden...any leafy green will do. ;D