?'s Pork chop bones / Seafood

Thread: ?'s Pork chop bones / Seafood

Default?'s Pork chop bones / Seafood

Being new at RAW, having searched, and sometimes not finding a definative answer, I'd like to ask a couple of questions. I'm not trying to re-hash something old here, just couldn't find a straight answer. Maybe I missed it, but anyways;

1) Wife likes boneless Pork chops. With the bone in it's cheaper of course but sometimes the bones are spit where they don't cut in between the ribs cleanly. Looking as though this maybe a problem, is there? Bones are fairly solid (as compared to foul) but I'm sure my Lab can crunch them. So, buying Whole Pork Chops and deboning for the RAW diet before cooking a good idea?

2) Seafood? I'm a Seafood Junkie of the worste kind. I live to fish. In my search I see 1-2 fish per week is enough. Wondering what is wrong with more? Also, all mention is about "white fish", sardines, and salmon on the most part. Well, I'm wondering how about crabs, clams, squid, dogfish, skate (Raja), sea scallops, flounder, scup, stripers, bluefish (though I honestly don't think I can get the dog to eat it anymore than I will), butterfish, whitting, etc. I'm asking because I get this stuff for free (sorta) and ussually too much at a time. Sure would help in being "cost effective" with a RAW diet. Any problems with any of that? And why only 1-2 per week? This I know the Lab will eat because I've got to keep an eye on the thief if there's fish around,,, and she can get sneaky for a fillet of fluke! (LOL)

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Fallriver is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: ?'s Pork chop bones / Seafood

Only a couple of servings a week because many fish have a high level of thiaminase and this enzyme destroys thiamine (vitamin B1) in the body.
    If you were to cook the fish, you would be OK. Or if you were to enviscerate it, because most of the thiaminase is in the guts :P
    I really don't know how much thiaminase would be in shellfish...you could likely google it.

I don't think I would be comfortable feeding the pork bones...I would feed larger rib or neck bones (don't kow where pork chops come from), but if the bones are smaller they will be consumed whole or in large bits and that would concern me...a good rule of thumb is really small or really big
    Dana

To err is human:To forgive, canine."
    - Anonymous

ObedienceLabs4Me is offline Senior Member

Some dogs, like Caleb, cannot handler the pork bones at all. Too rich for him or something. so, I stay away from pork all together.

With fresh salmon, it must be frozen for at least a month or so to kill the parasites.
    Susan
    UCDX GRCH Dunn's Marsh Caleb of Waltona UDX3, OM3, RAE Canadian UD, RE
    FallRiver's Micah of Waltona GN RAE, Canadian CD, RN

www.labmed.org

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by FallRiver
    I don't think I would be comfortable feeding the pork bones...I would feed larger rib or neck bones (don't kow where pork chops come from), but if the bones are smaller they will be consumed whole or in large bits and that would concern me...a good rule of thumb is really small or really big
    How about pork feet?

A good rule of thumb is to not feed weight bearing bones.
    Dana

- Anonymous

Pork chops are rib bones. Same as the rib roast, Rack of Pork (ribs) and (whole) pork ribs. Some further forward or back on the pig, but the same. Just cut in a different fashion for cooking style. "ribs" are the lower section of the rib cage, pork chops are higher and include part of the spine usually.
    Pork chops get sliced on a bandsaw. Sometimes there are sharp splinters(?) developed from cutting angles when rushing or trying to get an "extra rib". Cooked they are nasty (hard and sharp). Wasn't sure about how soft they are when raw. Think removal on the sharps may be okay, wasn't sure. So I asked.

i don't do any pork...just chicken (in the morning and lunch) and hamburger, with cutup kidney thrown into the hamburger for dinner meal.

I don't like the small amount of bone on a pork chop personally...I would feed a rack of ribs but would be concerned about the size of the bone in a chop and the ability to swallow it whole.
    They are soft enough that they will digest OK if swallowed in small amounts at a time...guess this is a judgement and comfort call 8)
    Dana

- Anonymous

until i became comfortable with making my own raw, i bought it...it just was allot easier...now that i make my own, i'm controlling what's going in to the food. i make enough to last for a month that sits in my freezer.