Bison question

Thread: Bison question

Cinder4evr is offline Senior Member

DefaultBison question

I hit a sale of bison steaks, and bought too much. I was thinking of cubing it and giving it to the dogs? they are raw fed (prepackaged) one meal a day and grain free kibble the other
    Any thoughts?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: Bison question

I don't see why not?

Lucky you!! Or rather, lucky dogs!!

ObedienceLabs4Me is offline Senior Member

One of my former students raises beefallos and brought in a bunch of meat for me when they cleaned their freezer out. Not a problem!
    Susan
    UCDX GRCH Dunn's Marsh Caleb of Waltona UDX3, OM3, RAE Canadian UD, RE
    FallRiver's Micah of Waltona GN RAE, Canadian CD, RN

www.labmed.org

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Cinder4evr is offline Senior Member

From the dogs:

MMMMMMMMM sluuuurrrrrpppppMMMMMMMMMMM

but it's very dense, I ended up freezing it slightly to get a knife through it.

Canyon Labradors is offline Senior Member

My dogs love bison. My hubby works at a local store that sells bison (they have a ranch and sell their own meat) and often brings home tidbits from things that he was making (they do their own jerky, sausage, ground meat, etc.).

i didn't think if one is doing raw, that you should mix with a dry food? i've always been told that if you're doing raw, stay with it for every meal.

thoughts?

Canyon Labradors is offline Senior Member

I heard you shouldn't mix raw IN WITH kibble...they digest differently. But many do kibble for one meal, raw the other...or raw as a treat.

Quote Originally Posted by CYNLABS
    I heard you shouldn't mix raw IN WITH kibble...they digest differently. But many do kibble for one meal, raw the other...or raw as a treat.
    I'm one of those - there are quite a bit that do this.

Yeah, you shouldn't pour in a scoop of kibble over a chicken back, but I've been feeding a part raw/part kibble diet for several years now and so far I haven't had any problems (which isn't saying much considering it's just one dog). I've heard similar stories though, so that comforts me a little more.

Moreover (as evidenced, ironically, by Jes's dry heaving this morning and the fact that he just puked up bile) his evening raw dinner is long gone by kibble breakfast. The kibble is also gone by the time supper rolls around. The only time I'd be concerned is if you were feeding three times a day - then there'd me some mixing that may cause problems.

I do it because I'm in graduate school and don't have the time nor money to feed an exclusive raw diet. Maybe in the future, but right now (especially since he spends some weekends with the "grandparents") feeding both works best for us.