Needing some raw facts! ASAP Please?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Needing some raw facts! ASAP Please?

DefaultNeeding some raw facts! ASAP Please?

I'm really disgusted with all the recalls on kibbles lately. The "stories" that go with them on the News does nothing to help regain that warm fuzzy feeling.
    Thought about RAW before, but now it's looking even "smarter".
    So for a starter I went to a good local mom and pop type pet shop and asked questions.
    I selected "Natures Variety" RAW chicken/turkey patties frozen. Package said 2 / 60 lb. dog.
    Well fed them last night and you would of died when the look on dog's face was "what's this crap?" Can't say anything about the taste, but it sure looks like diarrhea. Dog ate probably a little over 1 patty's worth.
    Well, Long and short, We need more "substance".
    "Searches" bring up a lot of "not wanteds", and probably will miss what I'm really needing.
    Can some of you point the way to some informative (all inclusive) links to "RAW Diets" with perhaps some suggested recipes? Think I'm looking towards supermarket specials, chunk-ed up, and the veggie / nutrients added in a home style fashion.
    Somehow came across a good site on this yesterday, just before my big foot kicked the plug to the PC and lost it!!! (DWATS!)
    Going "searching" again, but as mentioned, if any of you have a good link / pointer on this it's appreciated if you'd share.
    Thanks very much,,,

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: Needing some raw facts! ASAP Please?

Thanks to FALLRIVER, I found a Long and short answer in anouther post. ( Re: My learning style and a raw diet...I really need a sample menu
    « Reply #11 on: March 27, 2007, 11:27:03 PM » )
    I'm still looking and learning.
    GREAT SITE! Wish I'd found it earlier.

Welcome to raw feeding ;D I think that good start would be to read all the threads in this section - which you are already doing. WE have a threads that talk about complete raw menu, and many other advice. Most of the questions - about how to switch, what to feed, where to find it, were answered many times before. After you read all of those, you will have a better idea about what to feed, and you will have more specific questions.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

ObedienceLabs4Me is offline Senior Member

I agree, read as many of the threads as possible. We have gone over just about all there is to go over in regards to feeding raw.
    Susan
    UCDX GRCH Dunn's Marsh Caleb of Waltona UDX3, OM3, RAE Canadian UD, RE
    FallRiver's Micah of Waltona GN RAE, Canadian CD, RN

www.labmed.org

Fallriver is offline Senior Member

We should sticky some basic FAQ's to the top and that would make it easy for people visiting the first time.
    Dana

To err is human:To forgive, canine."
    - Anonymous

ObedienceLabs4Me is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by FallRiver
    We should sticky some basic FAQ's to the top and that would make it easy for people visiting the first time.
    That would be soooooooooo helpful! I know I've thought of that too.
    Susan
    UCDX GRCH Dunn's Marsh Caleb of Waltona UDX3, OM3, RAE Canadian UD, RE
    FallRiver's Micah of Waltona GN RAE, Canadian CD, RN

www.labmed.org

Quote Originally Posted by FallRiver
    Definitely! I think most people have pretty much the same questions at the beginning and that would make it easier!

Actually, I was rather surprised that there was not something like that already in place.
    I half expected it to be considerably more involved / complicated than it now appears. Almost seems like if we just start buying meats for human consumption differently (whole chickens instead of boneless breast) and do our own cutting, we could actually save some money in the long run on the shopping bill.
    Still have a few questions like; If the liver is for human consumption, it would seem like it should be safe for the dog? (maybe not)
    And "eggs twice a week with shells", but how many? 1, 1 doz.?
    Thanks all. I've found many answers so far, and still have more to find.

Quote Originally Posted by riarcher
    Actually, I was rather surprised that there was not something like that already in place.
    I half expected it to be considerably more involved / complicated than it now appears. Almost seems like if we just start buying meats for human consumption differently (whole chickens instead of boneless breast) and do our own cutting, we could actually save some money in the long run on the shopping bill.
    Still have a few questions like; If the liver is for human consumption, it would seem like it should be safe for the dog? (maybe not)
    And "eggs twice a week with shells", but how many? 1, 1 doz.?
    Thanks all. I've found many answers so far, and still have more to find.
    You are getting a grip of it :P We had a discussion about whether buying meats that are "just safe" for human consumption or rather organic or at least grass fed, hormone and antibiotic free. Fallriver pointed out a few days ago that organic is better (of course) just because it makes up most of the dog's diet where as on the other hand meat only makes up a smaller portion of human diet. I feel that... If I cannot afford or find organic at this point, human grade meat is definitely better for my dog than kibble. However, I am looking to find a resource for a better quality meat. Currently I at least get chicken from hormone/antibiotic/free range chicken farm and I am working on other sources. As far as liver goes, it was mentioned that organic would be recommended.

Hello and good for you (and your dog)! Your on the right track. As far as organic goes my feeling is organic is great but at least in my neck of the woods its very expensive. If you know of a farmer that raises organic maybe you can get a deal. i shop around and find deals but usually not organically raised but i still feel like what i feed is safe after all i eat it. Check out www.rawfeddogs.net its very informative and has a 'recipe' page as well. Start slowly introducing new foods, 1 egg not 1 dozen or your pup may develop cannon bum! same with liver and other organs,a few little bits at a time. Like you've said whole chickens cut in meal size portions is a good starting point. Good Luck.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast