A few more "raw-bie" (raw-newbie!) questions!!

Thread: A few more "raw-bie" (raw-newbie!) questions!!

DefaultA few more "raw-bie" (raw-newbie!) questions!!

Hi everyone!

Henry has been eating prepackaged raw for almost a year now. My plan was to get comfortable feeding raw to begin with, and then venture out into "real" raw! I think I'm at that point now. Yay!

I'm planning on alternating between meals of "real" raw and his prepackaged raw, until his prepackaged raw is finished (I have about 22lbs left).

So, I'm starting to do some research and I am getting a bit confused, and hope that you all can help me out.

1. what are the percentages I need to feed of muscle meat, RMBs, organ meat? One link I read said 60% RMB, 35% muscle meat, 5% organ meat, while another (prey-model) said 80-85% muscle meat, 10-15% RMB, 5-10% organs. ???

2. veggies... yes? or no?

3. add-ins, such as organic eggs, tripe? how often? He's already eating a spoonful of green tripe once or twice a week.

4. supplements... fish oil, vitamins, digestive enzymes??

5. I'm so fearful of him choking on bones (he tends to be a gulper)... is there anything I can do to slow him down/prevent this?

6. Muscle meat... boneless chicken/turkey breasts? Do you use ground meats? Beef heart?

7. RMBs... chicken leg quarters, right?

8. organ meat... chicken/beef livers?

What does canned mackeral (for example) fall under? How about a whole fish (like trout? no salmon, right?)

Thanks, in advance, for your help!! I'm getting really excited!!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

ObedienceLabs4Me is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: A few more "raw-bie" (raw-newbie!) questions!!

Quote Originally Posted by henrysmom
    1. what are the percentages I need to feed of muscle meat, RMBs, organ meat? One link I read said 60% RMB, 35% muscle meat, 5% organ meat, while another (prey-model) said 80-85% muscle meat, 10-15% RMB, 5-10% organs. ???
    I feed the rmb everyday and the organ meats once a week for supper. Another day a week for supper he gets a can of sardines packed in water and salt free. Some of the ground meat I get from Hare Today has organs ground in it so if I am using that he does get a little more of the organ.

2. veggies... yes? or no?
    For quite sometime I did not feed Caleb the vegie mixture but his holistic vet told me to put him back on it, so he is. I know some people who do not feed vegies at all.

3. add-ins, such as organic eggs, tripe? how often? He's already eating a spoonful of green tripe once or twice a week.
    I give Caleb a raw egg in with his offal meal. Tripe he gets everyday :P

4. supplements... fish oil, vitamins, digestive enzymes??
    I do give sardine oil every day (it's a little better than salmon oil)--if not he begins to scratch too much. Plus his holistic vet told me he does need the omega fatty acids. I give a vitamin C and that is it for vitamins. Caleb does need the digestive enzyme every meal but I know some dogs who don't. Like so much of this, it is based on what the individual needs rather than a standardized formula.

5. I'm so fearful of him choking on bones (he tends to be a gulper)... is there anything I can do to slow him down/prevent this?
    With the chicken backs, it seems to naturally slow him down. He has to chew his food! He did not care so much for the thighs and legs so I stick with the backs.

6. Muscle meat... boneless chicken/turkey breasts? Do you use ground meats? Beef heart?
    I use some ground meat and some chunks of meat and some chicken backs. Depends on what I get. I actually use the beef hearts as part of his offal meal. Or I use chicken hearts and gizzards. He likes that better than liver but I do get organic liver once in a while.

7. RMBs... chicken leg quarters, right?

Yes. Like I mentioned, I use more chicken backs than leg quarters. Those Caleb did try to swollow whole or he did not eat them at all. Have used them in a bind.

8. organ meat... chicken/beef livers?
    Livers, hearts, gizzards.

What does canned mackeral (for example) fall under? How about a whole fish (like trout? no salmon, right?)
    I know you have to be careful about some fish with the parasites they have in it. Canned salmon is ok or frozen for at least 30 days. I know his holistic vet said that salmon has too many heavy metals in it for her personal "tastes." I use the sardine as an evening meal with his vegies once a week. I use canned or frozen ground salmon to mix with his vegie mixture to make it more appealing.

Thanks, in advance, for your help!! I'm getting really excited!!

You have every right to be! I love feeding raw and find it is not that much more than when I feed a bag of Evo Red Meat but is a lot better! I cannot imagine not feeding raw to my dogs. I'm blessed that my husband feels the same!
    Susan
    UCDX GRCH Dunn's Marsh Caleb of Waltona UDX3, OM3, RAE Canadian UD, RE
    FallRiver's Micah of Waltona GN RAE, Canadian CD, RN

www.labmed.org