Fallriver...can you help me, pretty please? - Page 2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Fallriver...can you help me, pretty please?

Fallriver is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Fallriver...can you help me, pretty please?

Personally, I wouldn't even bother running a titre, but that can be an important first step in feeling more comfortable with not doing revax.
    Some states do allow medical exemptions...if you want them, you might want to find a holistic vet.
    If you must give it again, give her 30cc of Lyssin as quickly after the vaccine as you can.
    Dana

To err is human:To forgive, canine."
    - Anonymous

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

ObedienceLabs4Me is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by FallRiver
    Personally, I wouldn't even bother running a titre, but that can be an important first step in feeling more comfortable with not doing revax.
    Some states do allow medical exemptions...if you want them, you might want to find a holistic vet.
    If you must give it again, give her 30cc of Lyssin as quickly after the vaccine as you can.
    The only reason I will be doing a titer is for Caleb's Therapy Dog recertification. If it were not for that I would not bother at all. His holistic vet gave him the rabies so she could do the Lyssin and muscle test him afterwards--he still had terrible runs for about three days afterwards. Not stuff to mess with!
    Susan
    UCDX GRCH Dunn's Marsh Caleb of Waltona UDX3, OM3, RAE Canadian UD, RE
    FallRiver's Micah of Waltona GN RAE, Canadian CD, RN

www.labmed.org

For those still wanting, for whatever reason, to vaccinate their animals: Most vets do NOT recommend yearly revaccination anymore. Even traditional vets are going to a three year schedule for cats and dogs on all standard vaccinations.

I know my vet (who is not a holistic vet, just has a very laid back attitude towards the decisions made by her clients) is willing to do whatever shot schedule I want without problem. She knows I am generally informed and instead of telling me what shots are due, simply asks me at each visit if the animal needs any shots at that time. I'm still considering the possibilities for Piper, though if we do doggie daycare they require proof of vax. My cats do get vax on a three year schedule b/c I do a lot of kitty rescue work and have had fosters with fairly major diseases and am not personally comfortable with not vaxing them.

Does anyone have information on what, if anything, it is possible for Piper to contract from the cats?

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by JackieG
    For those still wanting, for whatever reason, to vaccinate their animals: Most vets do NOT recommend yearly revaccination anymore. Even traditional vets are going to a three year schedule for cats and dogs on all standard vaccinations.

Unfortunately most around here are still doing the annuals.
    Susan

www.labmed.org

Di
    Di is offline Senior Member

So glad I came upon this thread, Sammi is due for her 1 yr. re-vax, and I have been feeling amblivent about getting them. Her Rabies is actually not due until sept.07. But all others will be due next month if I chose to get them. What do you do about folks who require them? Such as for agility training, or classes of any kind!

talleyJudy is offline Senior Member

First of all let me say that I am in FallRiver's "camp" on the vaccination issue and have had no "boosters" given to Auggie (except 3 yr. rabies) since Jan1999, when my Pharaoh Hound Talley was diagnosed with Cutaneous T-cell Carcinoma; also no Heart Guard since then. Every Spring we have gone in for heart worm tests and so far every test has been negative. Auggie was due for her rabies 3/06. I thought long and hard about it, did a lot of research, talked it over with my vet, weighed the legal risks, and came to the conclusion that 4 rabies vaccinations in her 10 years of life (at that time) was more than sufficient. She was not vaccinated for rabies. As of 10/4/06 she is living with/thriving with Hepatocellular Carcinoma - a whole 'nother thread and story.....

To address "dipete's" concerns about Sammie: I am not a veterinarian or an expert so I can only say what I would consider doing for my own dog.

I see by the sig pic that Sammie is now just a year old. Taking for granted that Sammi has had her normal course of puppy shots, I would talk to my vet to see what the serious locally prevalent diseases were in my specific area.
    Then, should I decide to vaccinate, I would request that each disease 'valent'/shot be given separately, (that will really drive your poor vet nuts) at least 4 weeks apart, and the rabies at least 6 weeks after the last booster.
    This is what I would do were Sammi my very own dog.

This take on vaccination will cause problems in regard to "official" stuff, like classes, day care, boarding, etc. In '91 I considered getting Auggie certified for therapy work but did not want her vaccinated to the extent they required.
    And I have found a local home based day care - short term boarding - person that completely understands and is more than willing to have Auggie in her home with her two King Charles Caviler Spaniels who are now 'middle aged' and are now no longer getting 'routine boosters' themselves.

I too am following this thread and am very interested in FallRiver's response to dipete's concerns.
    "If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." author Will Rogers

Auggie 12/29/95 ~ 01/15/09

Sammi is due for her 1 yr. re-vax, and I have been feeling amblivent about getting them. Her Rabies is actually not due until sept.07. But all others will be due next month if I chose to get them. What do you do about folks who require them? Such as for agility training, or classes of any kind!
    Well, your puppy made it through the first year of life with an immature immune system and didn't catch any diseases. Now your puppy has a mature immune system. Do you feel safe taking her anywhere now? If so, there's no reason not to feel safe tomorrow as memory cells remain for the life of the animal. If you have taken her around the city and to dog classes, she has been exposed to most of those diseases already and didn't catch them, so her immune system is functioning just fine.
    Now if you were to vaccinate her next month, you would get no benefit (you are either immune or not, you can not be 'more' immune) and all of the risk and the risk is you will actually destroy her immune system and begin leaving her susceptible to disease.

When we challenge the body by access to a virus or by vaccination, these two things happen:

- The body produces a serious of antibodies to encapsulate the virus and its poisonous discharges.
    - The body establishes a filing system that records the main characteristics of the disease and will enable it to get an earlier warning next time an invasion of this disease should occur.

The protection that vaccines create in the body will take time to establish – typically about the same time as a successful fight against the real disease. In most cases, this means 2-3 weeks. So, in that meantime, the dog has
    no protection. It is actually fighting a fake disease, as if it was sick and sometimes the dog truly does get sick from a vaccination. Generally not quite as bad as from the real disease, but bad enough to notice. This is why many puppies die from the parvo vaccine.

There is also another important thing too take into account when administering a vaccine. The virus comes in a liquid that contains some poisonous preservation chemicals. On top of that, this “soup” also contains remains of the foreign tissue the virus was cultivated on – it is impossible to physically take the virus off that tissue, so the manufacturer simply takes the tissue with the virus – and dilutes it in the poisonous soup that now is called “vaccine”. There are two important effects of this:

- The poisons will cause another challenge to the immune system. On top of fighting the disease, it must also clean up after a serious “chemical spill”.
    - Also the foreign tissue will challenge the immune system! It might actually cause all kinds of allergic reactions, as foreign protein entered undigested, directly into the blood should do!

Those two additional challenges to the immune system will cause the body to experience the stress of three major challenges at one time. This will take just about all its capacity and leave it susceptible to every disease that comes it's way. This is why most dogs are taken to the vets within three months of a vaccination.

If I were to find a training facility that required vaccinations, I would look elsewhere. It is too important to sacrifice the health of your pet for an agility class. Many facilities will accept titres or make allowances for freaks like us. Besides, most competition people feed raw and do low vax, so your instructors may just have an unvaccinated dog too.
    Dana

- Anonymous

Quote Originally Posted by FallRiver

If I were to find a training facility that required vaccinations, I would look elsewhere. It is too important to sacrifice the health of your pet for an agility class. Many facilities will accept titres or make allowances for freaks like us. Besides, most competition people feed raw and do low vax, so your instructors may just have an unvaccinated dog too.
    I know on my forms I do ask if they have had their shots. Most people worry if they think a dog in the class has not had thier shots. I don't make a big fuss over it. I do have people who don't do shots at all. Where I take Caleb she requires shots or titers and I just don't put anything down.
    Susan

www.labmed.org

Di
    Di is offline Senior Member

Thanks so much for the information. Do beleave I will be going with my gut on this one and not have Sammi re-vaxed. Was thinking back with my pup that I lost at age 11, 1 1/2 yrs. ago- I had not had her vaccinted after she was 5yrs. old, and my cat since age 2, she lived until she was 18. Aspen are pup went everywhere with us, and there for was exposed to everything possible. Never was sick until 7 days before she died and I'm sure she got into something while under the care of "grandma"- So long story short, thanks for making me feel better about doing what I felt I should all along! Oh yeah do you find that people really dont understand this, sort of like not vaccinating kids?

Oh yeah do you find that people really dont understand this, sort of like not vaccinating kids?
    I can't believe the number of vaccinations children have to endure nowadays....isn't is over twenty now? And vaccinating for things like the measles and the mumps...it makes my head spin. How on earth does the risk of the measles outweigh the risk of autism ??? : ???
    Young girls in Texas are already dying from the Papillomavirus vaccines that the school board requires them to take.
    No wonder all these poor kids spend half their time walking around looking for peanut free snacks and the other half struggling with homework or social skills because they have ADHD or some similar problem. It's really frightening that the risks are not divulged to the parents and even more frightening that these vaccines are mandatory. >
    How's that for a rant
    Dana

- Anonymous

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast