My learning style and a raw diet...I really need a sample menu
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: My learning style and a raw diet...I really need a sample menu

einstein's legacy is offline Senior Member

DefaultMy learning style and a raw diet...I really need a sample menu

I've been reading this Natural/Raw diet section for a couple of weeks now and I am coming closer and closer to feeling brave enough to start this. I have 2 labs and one mix, all large breed, their ages are 7, 5,4 y.o. They are presently eating twice a day, Kirkland L & R, and share a can of wet with their evening meal. They are healthy and active dogs.

My questions:
    1.Would they continue eating 2x a day?

2.Can someone provide me with a sample menu?

3.Is this something they need to be weaned onto?

Thanks.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: My learning style and a raw diet...I really need a sample menu

Sending you a pm! Susan (yellowboysmom) can give you some tips here!

I also need to understand the ratio of veggies and any supplements.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Hi! Take the plunge it's relatively easy! Yes still feed twice a day. Some folks once they get the hang of it switch to once perday and feed larger. You can switch cold turkey, start with a single source for awhile (few days or week and see how that goes) then try another source and so one until you've tried several different sources. If you've been reading you know to start organs slowly maybe just a few little bits per day.

it might look something like this:
    Feed through a couple whole chickens chopped into meal size pieces or take away (the whole chicken) after they've had enough.
    Feed through a pork roast or two (i buy shoulder roasts) not much bone in these so usually add a chicken back or something with bone (thigh or leg)
    Feed through beef - (i buy what i can get for a good price) usually beef heart both my dogs luv it, or brisket or blade roast. i have also gotten some large beefy ribs which my gus chomps through (sometimes the bone is edible sometimes not)
    add a few bits of organ here and there
    If you can get it feed through some rabbit, buffalo, deer, moose, whole fish etc.
    Good Luck - let us know how it goes! ;D

Would I give each boy an entire cut up chicken for their first raw meal?

Thank you for that very helpful info by the way!

ObedienceLabs4Me is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by einsteins legacy

1.Would they continue eating 2x a day?

I do. In the morning he gets his meaty bones and at night he gets vegies and tripe. I sure like when I did not feed vegies but his holistic vet keeps telling me he needs them that not all her patients are on vegies but Caleb does need it. Ok, it isn't that much of a deal. Then once a week in the evening he gets a can of sardines packed in water that are salt free. He loves that. Also once a week with his evening vegies he'll get his offal meal. I rotate between organic beef liver and chicken hearts and gizzards. I get the organic beef liver cause he would not eat liver before and his holistic vet suggested that I try organic. He loved it. The liver is the filtering system so he obviously did not like something he smelt or tasted!

2.Can someone provide me with a sample menu?
    For Caleb I alternate meat sources. I get a lot of my stuff from Hare Today. I rotate between chicken backs (one day he'll get two and the other one depending on the size of the backs; if they are small he gets two if larger one or medium size the alternating) ground beef with bones and tripe, ground goat (Caleb really liked the coarse ground goat; just got some larger chunks--we'll see how he does), mutton, rabbit, lamb. I weigh out about 3/4 pound of the ground meat or the coarse ground meat. That is good for him or he gains too much. He's such a chunk anyway.

For the vegie mixture depends on the dog. I start with kale and grind it up real fine with my food processor. Also use a clove of garlic, apples, carrots, broccoli (he cannot tolerate cauliflower which I used by mistake recently--forgot. Oh the gas!!!!!!!!!), lettuce that is getting old. He loves aspargas so when I get some for us I use the tougher portions for him. Same with broccoli--I use the crowns for us and put the rest in the freezer. I make a lot and then use canned salmon to mix it up with and then divide it and put it in the freezer. That way I'm doing vegies about once a month, once every six weeks.

3.Is this something they need to be weaned onto?
    Depends on the dog. Caleb took to it right away. Now, mind you I still have to give digestive enzymes each meal but he had no problem. Now my older guy liked it about once a week. He did not go crazy over it like Caleb did. I have heard some have actually slightly browned the meat a little and then gave it to them. But, I would think if you started with some type of ground meat and then worked to the larger with bones, would not be a problem.

I also need to understand the ratio of veggies and any supplements.

When I do vegies, I really do what I have left over. We like a lot of vegies so I always have stuff left that I'll freeze and then use. Some people put sweet potatoes in it or canned pumpkin. I give Caleb about a heaping tablespoon of vegie mixture and about 1/4 cup of tripe at night.

Suppliments. Ok, I give the digestive enzyme with each meal. I also give a vitamin C with bioflavonoids and sardine oil everyday. I also give Oxyfresh's Primoye which is an adaptagen because of the stress of training and competing. I noticed a huge difference in him when I took him off and when I put him back on. Totally different dog. His holistic vet did not think that Caleb needed it but it was such a dramatic difference that she agreed that he must need it. I also give him In Clover's Connectin because of all the jumping he does. Has lots of goods stuff in it. If I am doing a lot of competing I'll give it everyday but if I'm just doing the maintainance training about twice a week. So, some of that depends on your dog's needs. Some people give kelp as a suppliment, too.

Does this make sense? Does it help?

Susan
    UCDX GRCH Dunn's Marsh Caleb of Waltona UDX3, OM3, RAE Canadian UD, RE
    FallRiver's Micah of Waltona GN RAE, Canadian CD, RN

www.labmed.org

No you'll want to feed 2-3 % of there "healthy" adult weight per day. My gus eats around 2 lbs per day,he's a pup which i am expecting to weigh around 70lbs full grown. i feed a 3/4lbs chunk in the morning 1/2lbs. for lunch and 3/4 lbs. for supper, he's a pup and a haven't switched to twice per day yet. - by the way ground is ok ocassionally (IF THE PRICE IS RIGHT) and my gus loves ox tail i get them whole from a butcher which lasts him 3 meals at least ( i just take it away and fridge it for next time), as well one of my local markets sells a raw ground mixture of beef meat and organ with a few veggies which i feed perhaps twice or three times per week with a chicken back. I feed whole fresh frozen mackeral sardines or salmon once or twice per week too!

Plenty of raw feeder say you don't need ANY veggie's or supplements, its personal choice. i feed the odd veggie, lightly cooked and i feed fish oil at least a few times per week. ;D

ObedienceLabs4Me is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by loriwolfelabluv
    Plenty of raw feeder say you don't need ANY veggie's or supplements, its personal choice.
    I prefer not to, but his holistic vet said he needed it.............so we do. ;D :

Once you are on it, you will find out what your dog needs. Caleb, even with his activity level, does not need the full 2-3% of his body weight. He weighs close to 80 pounds and gets 3/4 a pound a day. When I was doing the 2-3% he was getting really heavy. Just like us, each of them are different. Those are the guidelines.
    Susan
    UCDX GRCH Dunn's Marsh Caleb of Waltona UDX3, OM3, RAE Canadian UD, RE
    FallRiver's Micah of Waltona GN RAE, Canadian CD, RN

www.labmed.org

i think veggies are good for them and offer some nutrients different from meat bone organ as well as fiber which cant be a bad thing!!! i would go easy on them at first till you see how the raw goes though. For an overweight dog veggies (as a filler) may be a wise idea too!!
    I also agree about the 2-3 % only being a guideline. For a fast growing pup they need it but its very true each dog is different and i find i really watch gus's body shape and feel his sides and make sure he's not too thin or getting to roley poley!!! i have recently upped him from 11/2-3/4 to 2 lbs per day cause he was looking too lean. ;D

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast