My learning style and a raw diet...I really need a sample menu - Page 3
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: My learning style and a raw diet...I really need a sample menu

Fallriver is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: My learning style and a raw diet...I really need a sample menu

Tripe is prolly the most important part of a raw dog's diet, especially if you don't feed veggies.

I get a 50 pound bucket of tripe for about $10. Go to a large butcher shop where they actually do the killing and there you will find the good stuff. It won't be on the shelves, so you'll have to make some phone calls or talk to managers.
    If you are desparate, you can buy canned tripe called Tripette. http://www.tripett.com/ingredients.html

I think Solid Gold also has a canned tripe product but there are too many ingredients in it.

http://www.jbpet.com/Shopping/produc...ct_id=699-0110

Bravo also has frozen tripe: http://www.bravorawdiet.com

Dana

To err is human:To forgive, canine."
    - Anonymous

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

ObedienceLabs4Me is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by FallRiver
    Bravo also has frozen tripe: http://www.bravorawdiet.com
    That is what I carry and use.
    Susan
    UCDX GRCH Dunn's Marsh Caleb of Waltona UDX3, OM3, RAE Canadian UD, RE
    FallRiver's Micah of Waltona GN RAE, Canadian CD, RN

www.labmed.org

Quote Originally Posted by deific
    This is a great thread, but where the heck do you guys get this stuff? Tripe? Organs? Do you pay for it?
    If you don't hunt, make friends with hunters. Especially during deer season, I never buy organ meat...in fact I don't pay for much during hunting season.

Randi, one piece of advice, get over your obsession (if you have one) of exact numbers. That was my biggest problem. I obsessed with how much meat, how much bone, how many veggies, how much of this, how much of that, should I supplement - it made my head spin. This is why I feed the whole prey model. I try to feed whole rabbits, whole birds, stuff like that (usually split over two or 3 days). I let nature do the work for me. Ideally, the ratios of organ meat to muscle meat are already worked out.

Obviously that's not always possible, but I think Dana set forth some great guidelines. Just keep in mind that you're going for balance over time. Sometimes you may overfeed organ meat, other days you may underfeed them - then again, my diet is far from perfect and I'm still alive and kicking (and I'd like to think I enjoy pretty good health). Humans and dogs have biochemical pathways to turn amino acids into certain vitamins and hormones so they can adjust provided you feed an overall balanced diet, not necessarily a daily balanced diet.

I do feed a lot of chicken backs from Wild Oats (.99/lb) which has some organ meat still attached - usually the kidneys. You can get muscle meat at any grocery store, so that's never a problem. If you can find a co-op, those are goldmines for supplies. You can also get them shipped from certain distributors, but that's usually the most expensive option.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

AngusFangus is offline Senior Member

What a great thread! Thanks to everyone who responded in such detail.

Connie and "The Boys":
    Angus, Yellow Lab, CGC, RE, CD
    Simon, d.b.a. Flat Coated Retriever, CGC, RE, CD

Gone ahead, but forever in my heart:
    Crash, Pit Bull x Rottweiler x Golden Retriever

einstein's legacy is offline Senior Member

This has been an amazing thread and I can't thank you all enough for your time and knowledge.

I think the whole prey model would be my best bet in the beginning BUT...would it be a whole prey PER day or per meal? (Am I dividing it between the two meals?)

I have some frozen chicken wings (Perdue no less!!). Can I give them one to taste as a treat and should it be totally defrosted when they eat it? They already get an entire raw egg once a week with their kibble, so I know they're okay with that, although 2 of them just play with the shell while the other one gobbles it up. They get chopped up veggies almost every day (spinach, broccoli, carrots, and whatever else I have on hand mixed with a bit of yogurt).

I would like to do what I call "action research", trying a bit at a time to find my comfort level as well as theirs (I'm sure mine is the problem, not theirs).

If you think trying the wings are okay, I will defrost and give it to them tomorrow evening.

Thank you all so much!!

It is amazing how little this dog eats and he is still such a chunk!
    [/quote]

Susan - welcome in the club. Poor Chocolata eats about what Caleb does and always wants more. She does have some Christmas pounds to take off, so no more food :'(

Hi Einsteins legacy,
    Go for whole prey method over time, boneless meals are good, bonier meal are good too. Meals with organ or meals without, or when you know how your dog will react you can even feed organs as a whole meal once or twice a month. Try adding the total amount of feed per week eg. Gus eats 2 lbs. per day X 7 days per week whole prey model 80/10/10 means around 14 lbs weekly: approx. 11 lbs of meat 1 1/2 lbs bone and 1 1/2 lbs organ. You see what i mean. Now having said that i wouldn't feed a lbs and half of organ or 2 lbs of bone in one day but its a good way to judge the amounts.
    Some days you could feed a meatier meal with little edible bone like a pork shoulder roast and another day feed chicken leg quarters which are about 30% bone (chicken backs about 49 - 55% bone and should be fed with a meatier meal IMO). Balance over time. Tripe, organs etc a few times per week or a little every day, balance over time
    Try not to worry about the numbers too much, read read read, barf lite and raw feeding are good sources as well as ebook work wonders. Most of all just watch your pooch, he'll tell you, loose stools usually means overfeeding or not enough bone. Cannon butt ( ) from what i understand (haven't experienced it)means too much organ or stomach sensitivity to something.
    Have you started yet?

einstein's legacy is offline Senior Member

We had our first raw chicken wings for dessert today. My boys loved, loved, loved, did I mention loved?? those raw wings!! Now I have to decide, do they get more wings tomorrow or something different?

ThatsMyGirl Guest

Quote Originally Posted by einsteins legacy
    We had our first raw chicken wings for dessert today. My boys loved, loved, loved, did I mention loved?? those raw wings!! Now I have to decide, do they get more wings tomorrow or something different?
    I do believe chicken wings have the proper bone to meat ratio. If you decide to branch out, just remember to stick to the same protein source for a week or two to make sure there are no "digestive issues"

Did you end up defrosting your wings? I give them both frozen and partially defrosted. I don't think mine has a preference as long as it's food!

thats great! Did they chew at all or inhale? For smaller parts like wings and necks make sure they are chomping a bit as the wings tend to have a sharp point or two and i have heard some dogs have issues with them (choking). For gulpers alot of raw feeder suggest feeding big pieces or feed wings attached to a larger piece of bird so that it must be chewed.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast