home cooked vs. raw vs. other

Thread: home cooked vs. raw vs. other

Defaulthome cooked vs. raw vs. other

Listened to Susan Thixton several weeks ago regarding commercial food & have been wanting to improve Baylee's diet. Have researched homecooked food but saw this site & got interested in the raw diet. I had also researched Nutro Dry but hesitate because of the recall fiasco. I understand it doesn't affect dry food, but you never know. Any suggestions from any of you? Would also be interested in checking out other sites regarding this issue. Thanks!!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Trickster is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: home cooked vs. raw vs. other

First, check out this list of RMB's/Organ/Muscle meat. This will give you some idea of what feeding raw is all about:

https://www.justlabradors.com/forum/i...c,27356.0.html

Alternatively, you may want to start with prepackaged raw:

https://www.justlabradors.com/forum/i...c,28347.0.html

Next, read up all you can about the subject. Go through every single topic on this section of the forum. That should answer most questions that you may have. If not, ask them here.

ObedienceLabs4Me is offline Senior Member

I'll have to check my Whole Dog Journal but I don't think Nutro is one of their recommended dog foods. Could be wrong but I don't think so.

Also, I use to cook for my other two Labs. I feel a lot more confident feeding raw than I do cooking. Cooking destroyes too many of the things they need.
    Susan
    UCDX GRCH Dunn's Marsh Caleb of Waltona UDX3, OM3, RAE Canadian UD, RE
    FallRiver's Micah of Waltona GN RAE, Canadian CD, RN

www.labmed.org

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Apollopuppy is offline Senior Member

Cooking denatures proteins and reduces their bioavailability. The dog's body is built to gain maximum benefit from raw foods. Because in nature they would have no way to "cook" food, their body never developed a way to derive maximum nutrition from the cooked meats. Raw is definitly more nutritional then cooked. For SOME animals (such as cats and ferrets) Taurine is an essential nutrient needed for basic function, but it is not produced in these animals bodies, it must be obtained from food. Taurine can be found in large amounts in heart and also in raw meat. If I was to cook the meat that my ferrets eat in their diet, they would be missing out on a CRUCIAL nutrient. I don't know if there are any crucial nutrients that dogs need that are only found in raw meat or not, but I DO know that cooked meat is actually HARDER to digest for carnivores then raw meat.
    Love,<br />Giuli<br /><br />