YES, I really do feed raw
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: YES, I really do feed raw

KLM

DefaultYES, I really do feed raw

Just had my first defensive raw discussion.... :

I try to avoid the topic all together with people because of the experiences people on here have had. BUT I couldn't help but bring it up when we talking with coworkers about dogs and dog food.

Yes, I got the looks. You guys know the "look". The one that reads "shock, dismay, gross, you BAD owner" all in one?

: I truly believe I am doing the right thing feeding Jake raw. I had confident answers to ALL of their questions but they still gave me the looks.

Most of these people don't give a second thought as to what they are feeding their dogs. They just buy some random food at WalMart and NEVER look at the ingredients. I've researched, studied and made an educated decision about it and I'M the one who is doing such a terrible thing? : >

Just venting more than anything but I just don't understand why the idea of raw is so foreign to people.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Apollopuppy is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: YES, I really do feed raw

Sorry you have to deal with people like that. I know exactly what you are talking about. I don't raw feed Apollo (yet) but I do raw feed 4 of my 6 ferrets. I too get "the look" and stupid comments from people. It doesn't matter to them that I have done MONTHS of research on the subject of raw feeding and that I know more about a raw diet for ferrets then most of my vets. They are always right. It is really sad that people these days are so close minded. Kibble is a fairly new concept and IMO it is the downfall of many domestic species including cats, dogs, and ferrets. It takes tough skin to feed raw. Ironic how when you are doing what you feel is best for your pet you still have some assholes judging you.

A fun thing to do is ask them why THEY feed kibble. Chances are their answers will be because its convinent (for them NOT their dog) because THEY want a balanced diet for their dog. Because THEY worry about contamination and bacteria. Its always about THEM and not their dog. If its not easy and convenient for the owner then the dog doesn't get the benefit of things like a raw diet.

Unlike raw feeders I have found VERY few kibble feeders that can give me a detailed list of reasons why they choose to fed kibble. Raw feeders are usualy more reserached IMO. So I feel that kibble feeders have NO right to judge unless they themselves do their homework.

Hang in there. ITs not easy, but good for you for feeding raw.
    Love,<br />Giuli<br /><br />

Trickster is offline Senior Member

Most people are uneducated about raw -- it is as simple as that. If I had a pound for every time someone looked horrified when I said I fed part raw I'd be a rich woman. Joe Public thinks slapping Pedigree Chum in a bowl twice a day equals good nutrition. But then again, I am not surprised...unless you have good contacts in the dog world, how else are you supposed to know what is good and what is bad? you don't. I wish there were more resources out there is help others understand some of the benefits of alternative feeding.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

We talked about this in our obedience school. Our trainer has been feeding raw for over 20 years and she has heard it all. Just like your experience - people look, feel disgusted, etc. After the kibble recall, I wonder what is really poisoning the dogs ???. I am proud of what I feed because I actually care about what is in my dog's bowl. When someone gives me the look I feel tempted (and sometimes do) talk about some yummies included in my dog's diet :P

ObedienceLabs4Me is offline Senior Member

Yep, heard it all, too. I just don't really talk a lot about it but my husband and I are really sold on raw diet and the more holistic approach to their care. Our nationa as a whole have bought into what the press and advertisers tell us rather than using the brain that God has given us. Sorry, I'll step off my soap box. :
    Susan
    UCDX GRCH Dunn's Marsh Caleb of Waltona UDX3, OM3, RAE Canadian UD, RE
    FallRiver's Micah of Waltona GN RAE, Canadian CD, RN

www.labmed.org

KLM

Thanks for your comments/support - I needed that.

Gosh, I wish I had brought up the that whole dog food recall thing especially during the "samonella" portion of the discussion but I didn't really think about that at the time....

Trickster.... you're a woman??? I always thought you were a man!!! :-[ Hope you don't mind...I'm going to have a hard time picturing you as a woman after all this time thinking you were a man....

Fallriver is offline Senior Member

Royal Canin has not been recalled but there is a class action suit over the megadoses of Vitamin D in it and some cats and dogs are dead or very ill from it.

It's nice that the press has gotten hold of these recalls...people may begin to realize that garbage in = garbage out.
    Dana

To err is human:To forgive, canine."
    - Anonymous

Quote Originally Posted by FallRiver
    Royal Canin has not been recalled but there is a class action suit over the megadoses of Vitamin D in it and some cats and dogs are dead or very ill from it.

It's nice that the press has gotten hold of these recalls...people may begin to realize that garbage in = garbage out.
    I feel sad for any animal that has suffered from those foods but hope that people won't give us such a hard time anymore. My vet told me not to even think about that diet (she of course is not my vet anymore :'().

ThatsMyGirl Guest

Quote Originally Posted by KLM
    Trickster.... you're a woman??? I always thought you were a man!!! :-[ Hope you don't mind...I'm going to have a hard time picturing you as a woman after all this time thinking you were a man....
    And now that you know that she's a woman ... ask her how old she is! You'll be in for a shock! (Oh Trickster, hope you know I think you are da bomb! )

Trickster is offline Senior Member

Trickster.... you're a woman??? I always thought you were a man!!!
    ask her how old she is!
    Hahah...an 18 year old woman. :P

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast