Frozen Raw Bones

Thread: Frozen Raw Bones

DefaultFrozen Raw Bones

Hi Everyone,
    I have some questions about raw bones. I apologize if there is already a post about this but the more I read, the more confused I am getting. So I thought I would attempt to ask my questions here.
    What is the difference between a raw bone and a marrow bone?
    A pet supply store here sells frozen raw bones so I bought some. I got some really big ones and some smaller ones. (not the size of a rib).
    How often can I give one of these bones to Oakley?
    She is 11 months old and is on kibble twice a day.
    I know that they can't have cooked bones. I wasn't sure about smoked either so I decided to stay away from it.
    Those questions should get me started I guess.
    Thanks
    Lana

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: Frozen Raw Bones

Hi Lana!

Marrow bones are usually beef leg bones (? someone correct me if I'm wrong! ) cut up that are usually sold for soup stock. It's a hard outside with the squishy marrow inside. The dog doesn't actually eat the outside part, just eats the marrow out of the inside. At least, that's what Henry does! The marrow is really rich, so be prepared for soft poos.

Frozen raw rec bones tend to be beef or venison neck bones (do you know what yours are?). They're eat-able bone as well as meat stuck on them still. I buy the large ones for Henry and give him one every few days for about 15-20 minutes or so, depends on how squirrely he is. I keep mine in the freezer and give it to him frozen. When he's done chewing, it goes back in the freezer.

Those of us who feed real-raw also feed bones in the form of chicken necks and backs but I don't think that's what you mean?

Best to let Oakley have one for a short period of time first to see how she does tummy-wise afterwards. Be careful with the smaller ones. Henry's a gulper, so I have to give him the big ones!

I stay away from the smoked ones too!

Yes, you're exactly right. Stay away from cooked bones. I'm not sure where you shop but I get mine from Food Lion or Bloom.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Thanks for replying. These must be marrow bones then. I think they are leg bones. There is a little bit of meat left on the outside of the bone and then the marrow inside. She definitely can't eat the bone. I mean she gnaws on it but she can't just chomp on it and chew it.
    She certainly doesn't leave it after 20 mins. She has had a few, she had a soft poo once or twice. But not everytime she has had one.
    No I don't mean the chicken ones.
    She just gets them for a treat, is two a week ok?
    Thanks
    Lana

Trickster is offline Senior Member

I think once a week is just fine. Mine get one a week along with the rest of their raw stuff.