Any raw-fed puppies out there?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Any raw-fed puppies out there?

DefaultAny raw-fed puppies out there?

So, I'm contemplating adding a pup to our "pack".

Henery is raw-fed. What are your thoughts on feeding a growing puppy raw? I know that the balance of nutrients/minerals etc is crucial while puppy is growing. My other thought was to feed something like Innova Evo or Honest Kitchen until the puppy is full grown...?

Thoughts?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

ObedienceLabs4Me is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Any raw-fed puppies out there?

Natura states that Evo is not for puppies but I have known people who have raised puppies on Evo. Fall River from the forum here raises puppies on raw. There is an Aussie breeder, Day Break, I do believe that does as well. It is done successfully but I would get some advice from experieince. Caleb was 6 months when I put him on raw.
    Susan
    UCDX GRCH Dunn's Marsh Caleb of Waltona UDX3, OM3, RAE Canadian UD, RE
    FallRiver's Micah of Waltona GN RAE, Canadian CD, RN

www.labmed.org

I feed my Gus raw. He was born nov.7 the breeder fed raw/ground. i bought 50 lbs. to start off with. I have done a ton of research, and i feel confident about Gus's feeding plan. He now eats prey model whole raw meaty bones and a few table scraps. i do really try to feed "prey model" 80/10/10 and i am a bit of a poop watcher especially when i first started (and i still do about once a day) make sure i look and see how it looks! : I weigh Gus's food, feed 3 times per day and he eats between 2-3% of his expected adult weight (depending on how many training treats he scarfs down!!) Gus is doing great and apart from a few soft stools when i first switched to prey model from the breeder's ground (soft stools i've learned is usually caused from feeding too much at once or too much variety too soon or not enough bone) i would suggest the raw feeding group there is tons of raw feeders there. I think that as they get older it will get even easier as the weighing and feeding 3 or 4 times per day won't be essential. I'd go for it if i was you, you already do it for Henry so its not like your starting from scratch and your pup would wonder why henry gets the GOOD stuff and he gets the - well you know- !! What is the pups expected ETA?

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Oops! I hadn't realized that Evo wasn't for pups. :-[ Thanks!

Henry's breeder's litter (Gorsebrook Irish Belle X Corhampton Woodecoy Beretta) is expected early June, with the pups going home late July! ;D

What does the breeder think about one of her puppies beig fed raw? I personally would never do it.

We are getting a puppy hopefully this summer, and it will be raw fed. However, I carefully selected a breeder who weans them on it, and will guide us through the process to make sure that our puppy will get everything necessary to develop well.

Trickster is offline Senior Member

Unless your breeder raw feeds and/or you have a precise, trailed and tested feeding regime in place with help from a mentor, personally I wouldn't do it. Complete balance in the diet isn't so crucial for an adult dog (we don't need a degree in nutrition to feed ourselves) but it is VERY important to get it as accurate as possible for a growing puppy especially when concerning calcium.

One of my boys was raw fed but I had decades of raw feeding experience behind the plan I used.

Thanks for replying everyone!

I definitely think I'm a little too nervous (and too new at the whole raw thing in general) to feed raw to a growing pup... but was just curious because Henry is eating raw.

So, probably my best bet is to go with a high-quality puppy kibble until pup is full grown then?

Join the yahoo group called Rawpup http://pets.groups.yahoo.com/group/R...guid=176113409

Lurk there for a while and see what you think. You've got plenty of time to decide

I would not be too nervous. However, you do need to know more in order to feed a puppy. I am sure there are resources, and maybe a raw feeding breeder might be a good one.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast