Which pre-packaged raw diet would you recommend ?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which pre-packaged raw diet would you recommend ?

DefaultWhich pre-packaged raw diet would you recommend ?

I was looking back at old posts and saw the one that listed the different companies that make pre-packaged raw foods. Bravo! is the only brand I have heard of. Are there any out there that seem to come highly recommended or are they all pretty good companies to go with?

I feed Roxy Eagle Pack Holistic blend right now and will be buying another bag soon. But I have been considering a switch to raw for some time now. If I do decide to switch, can I still feed kibble in the morning and then the pre-packaged raw meal at night? At least until I would feel comfortable enough to make a complete switch?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

ThatsMyGirl Guest

DefaultRe: Which pre-packaged raw diet would you recommend ?

I use Nature's Variety frozen patties. They come in many varieties - including lamb, chicken, venison, rabbit, etc. They are 95% meat, organs & bone.

Here is a buy one, get one free coupon if you can use it: http://www.naturesvariety.com/tryit/index2.lasso

The prepackaged meals are an expensive way to feed raw, but I only feed raw maybe 4 - 5 times a week, so I just suck it up and pay for it.

Thankyou very much! There's a retailer about an hour away from me that sells Nature's Variety. I think I will check them out

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

If anyone has more suggestions, I would also like to hear them. I am, bluntly, too lazy to feed raw - especially with the one and only butcher around on the far side of town and a husband who is vegetarian and would put up with it but be quite thoroughly repulsed. Piper is still a puppy and I'm happy with what I'm feeding her now, but want more information on what's out there so I'll be well-informed by the time she's ready for adult food. I would also be interested in hearing more about EVO or any other kibble (or moist food) that makes a passable alternative for feeding raw.

ThatsMyGirl Guest

Quote Originally Posted by JackieG
    If anyone has more suggestions, I would also like to hear them. I am, bluntly, too lazy to feed raw - especially with the one and only butcher around on the far side of town and a husband who is vegetarian and would put up with it but be quite thoroughly repulsed. Piper is still a puppy and I'm happy with what I'm feeding her now, but want more information on what's out there so I'll be well-informed by the time she's ready for adult food. I would also be interested in hearing more about EVO or any other kibble (or moist food) that makes a passable alternative for feeding raw.
    Look here -- it's a list I posted when we first opened this section: https://www.justlabradors.com/forum/i...c,28347.0.html

EVO is not appropriate for puppies, so I wouldn't feed it quite yet...it has too much calcium. When you do pick a food, that's one thing to keep an eye out for, calcium. The other thing is that foods have different mandated nutritional requirements depending on how they're marketed. Foods marketed for dogs of "all life stages" or "growth" will be okay to feed a pup. Foods sold for dogs already grown (will say something like "formulated for maintenance") are not suitable for pups.

Apollopuppy is offline Senior Member

What I DON"T get is why EVO says right on the bag for Adult dogs AND puppies, just like the Ferret EVO and the Cat EVO. Anyone know WHY they say 'puppy' if its not ok for puppies? Ok wait, it doesn't say puppies on the bag. It says it on this website i'm looking at. This is what I found on their site:

"Animal feeding tests using AAFCO (Association of American Feed Control Officials) procedures substantiate that Innova EVO Adult Dog Food provides complete and balanced nutrition for all life stages"
    Love,<br />Giuli<br /><br />

It is okay for puppies, just not all puppies. Smaller and medium sized dogs (when they're puppies) can, I assume, eat EVO. It's just Labs and large breed puppies that have the whole calcium issue.

Apollopuppy is offline Senior Member

I see. I wish they would make special note of that somewhere. I had NO idea. Apollo is 13 months old and I WAS feeding him Innova. I'm currently feeding him some crappy Purina One until my Eagle Pack Holistic stuff comes in the mail. How old does apollo have to be before I can put him back on the Innova? is it 18 months and older?
    Love,<br />Giuli<br /><br />

I wouldn't be too worried...it's not so high that it will automatically cause problems (you didn't see any did you?), and calcium won't cause hip dysplasia. It may exaggerate it if the genes are there, but it won't cause it if the genes are not. I'm not saying it's fine to just ignore it, but I wouldn't be overly concerned at this point.

Also, take comfort in the fact that at some time after 6 months of age, they can excrete that excess calcium instead of storing it in their bones.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast