Just Curious
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Just Curious

Apollopuppy is offline Senior Member

DefaultJust Curious

Apollo is currently kibble fed. My six ferrets are raw fed. I plan to switch apollo (and my three cats) to raw as well but due to the costs Im gunna have to wait a little while to do so. I was just curious about how you feed a DOG on RMB (raw meaty bones).

My ferrets get:

Raw Meaty Bones:

Raw whole chicken wings
    Raw whole chicken legs
    Raw whole chicken thighs
    Raw whole chicken backs
    Raw whole chicken necks
    Raw whole turkey wings
    Raw whole turkey legs
    Raw whole turkey necks
    Raw whole Cornish hen cut into pieces (wings, legs, thighs, neck, back, etc)
    Raw small lamb chops (the ones that look like little t-bone steaks)

Organ Meat:

Raw chicken Liver
    Raw chicken Gizzards
    Raw chicken Hearts

but they also get whole prey like mice, rats, quail. The occasional egg yolk and egg shell and fish sparingly

The model i use to feed my ferrets is 75%-meat 15%-bone 10%-organ meat (slightly different then the model i've seen for dogs)

What foods do you feed to a raw fed dog??? With the ferrets it was easy because they have limit on what they can eat because if the bone is too big, then don't get it (for example beef ribs).

Also ferrets (unlike dogs) are obligate carnivores (but even more so then cats) meaning they can only digest grain or carbs that is in the stomach of their prey. What are dogs? regular carnivores? omnivores? Do they need to eat veggies or dairy in addition to their meat? With my ferrets ANY type of dairy, fruit, or veggie is an EXTREME no-no. But I don't know if its the same for dogs. I've seen some people suggesting that you stuff say, a kong, with yams, cottage cheese, yogurt, steamed carrots. So i was kinda confused.

Also do dogs get whole prey??? I stick a frozen-thawed-plucked pheasent in the ferret cage and let em at it, do dogs ONLY get RMB and no whole prey? Just wanted to get the idea of how this diet works for dogs.

Thanks guys!
    Love,<br />Giuli<br /><br />

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

ObedienceLabs4Me is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Just Curious

My almost 80 pound Lab gets about 3/4 pound groung meat or one chicken back one day two the next for his morning meals and then about a tablespoon vegie mixture with about 1/4 cup tripe for supper. Once a week he'll get a can of sardines in water without salt and once a week his offal meal. Normally it is about 3% of the dogs body weight. Check in this section cause there are a number of threads where the information you have requested has been mentioned.
    Susan
    UCDX GRCH Dunn's Marsh Caleb of Waltona UDX3, OM3, RAE Canadian UD, RE
    FallRiver's Micah of Waltona GN RAE, Canadian CD, RN

www.labmed.org

Thank you.

So you can give ground meat to dogs? With my ferrets the rule is if its not on a edible bone (except organ meat) they aren't allowed to have it (ferrets are highly prone to peridontal disease and without the bone to help clean their teeth chunked or ground meat isn't good for them) But you can give it to dogs?

My ferrets get an offal meal once a week. You mentioed giving your dog offal for one meal a week am i correct on that?

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Trickster is offline Senior Member

You can feed everything you feed your ferrets to your dog.

It sounds like you have a pretty good understanding of raw already.

What foods do you feed to a raw fed dog???
    Someone posted a really good list of raw foods. I'll dig up the link after I post this.

Do they need to eat veggies or dairy in addition to their meat?
    They don't NEED either, but you can feed them if you want. Many people feed veggies but they should ideally be given blended. They are easier to digest when in 'mush' form.

Dairy isn't necessary in a dogs diet. The only dairy you want to feed (again, this is optional) is plain natural yogurt. Mine get it frozen in their Kongs or a spoonful or two over their food.

Also do dogs get whole prey??? I stick a frozen-thawed-plucked pheasent in the ferret cage and let em at it, do dogs ONLY get RMB and no whole prey? Just wanted to get the idea of how this diet works for dogs.
    I think a few people on here feed whole prey. I do sometimes depending on my supplies. There is nothing quite like watching your dog tuck into a whole rabbit. My neighbours must think I am nuts.

Thanks trickster!

Yes, I know what you mean with the neighbors thinking your nuts. All my ferret friends are HORRIFIED that I feed my little ones raw.

The original reason I began looking at raw for my ferrets is because ferrets that are fed a kibble diet have a tendency to develop cancer of the pancreas (im talking like 60% of ferrets are bound to get this cancer (80% of all ferrets are at risk for adreniline gland cancer as well). Like I mentioned earlier ferrets CAN NOT digest dairy or ANY form of carb/sugar so eating kibble (with its grain based binding ingredients) can cause the pancreas to go into overdrive. As a result you have to surgically remove the cancerous "nodules" found on the pancreas and regulate blood sugar levels with prednisone. I was like HELL no. So i started researching raw.

I did it for my ferrets because I felt they would die if I didn't. I started looking at it for cats and dogs as well. Currently the ferrets get raw and the cats and dog get Innova EVO. Eventually everyone will be on raw. I pay $100 a month just to keep all six ferrets full on RMB, organ meat, and whole prey. So feeding a 55lb dog and three cats is gunna jack up the cost as well (im looking for a new job then I can afford raw for EVERYONE.)

You know, I think it is really interesting that you feed your ferrets raw. Truthfully, I don't know much about ferrets, but I didn't know you could feed them raw. If there is a ferret in my future I'll know now.

Good luck trying to feed your cats raw...are they fussy? I think my cats would look at me as if I were crazy if I tried them on raw. They are generic cat food junkies unfortunately -- my fault.

Ferrets are very interesting little creatures. I got my first one in october 06 (now i have 6!!!!) all except the first came from ferret rescues (yes, ferrets, just like dogs and cats are frequently discarded at shelters. unfourtunately because they are so different from dogs and cats and so fragile, even when they are adopted (from dog/cat shelters) they go to bad homes that don't know how to care for them. Its really sad)

Apollo gets along SOOO well with my ferrets and my cats. When we took Apollo to the vet we brought his "little brother" Lugnut (ferret) as well. While Apollo was getting his stiches out Lugnut sat in the kid section of the waiting room and played with blocks! Ferrets are so much like children its scary!

He's gotten so attached to the ferrets. I am thrilled. Sometimes my two youngest ferrets will fight over a chicken wing in their cage and they will start hissing and screaming. Apollo runs into the guest bedroom (where the ferret cages are) and looks at them like "hey break it up!!!" he doesn't leave until they stop fighting. What a good dog!

While Apollo was getting his stiches out Lugnut sat in the kid section of the waiting room and played with blocks! Ferrets are so much like children its scary!

Just in case you were interested here are some picks of my ferrets eating their chicken wings:

Lugnut and Hendrix eating

Lugnut eating

Hendrix eating

And here is lugnut, Apollos "little buddy"

As for my cats. I dunno if they will take to raw or not. One will for sure (but he's the one that likes ANYTHING. you gotta watch your food around him. Much to my dismay he will pillage blueberry muffins (but not banana nut, he HATES banana nut!lol) bread with butter WITH THE CRUST CUT OFF, SHELL pasta (and it must be shell, no noodles, or bowtie, or penne) and vodka sauce. Its insane. Im sure he'd love raw but I bet I'd have to do something crazy for him like put a little dash of oregeno on his organ meat every third tuesday of the month! lol)

They are so cute!! ;D

Thanks, they are just amazing animals! I'd never even SEEN a ferret until I got Lug in October. They are like little kids. They sleep in a cage with blankets (no hamster bedding or anything) and at 9:30pm (after running around our bedroom for 5 hours) they go to sleep and I literally tuck them under their covers, and kiss them goodnight. Its like putting a baby in a crib! When they are sick they need children's pedialyte and babyfood, they can and will run around your ankles like a toddler and scream to be picked up. You have to be really careful what toys to give to them because they can get an obstruction faster then you can blink, so they mostly have baby toys. They get scrambled eggy on sunday mornings and just like little kids they make a mess of their food! They get bedhead!

Lugnut even had a 'bobo' dog from petsmart when he was the only ferret. Lugnut took this bobo dog with him EVERYWHERE. Its name was "herman". Lugnut would take herman and put him face down in his food bowl so that he could "eat" then he would stick his head in the water dish so he could "drink" then he would put him in the litter box so he could go "potty" and then he would tuck him under the covers and make him go to bed! I've never seen an animal do anything like that! Well now Lugnut is in HEAVEN cuz he finally got a puppy doggy, a real one! He may not be a weiner dog, but Lug couldn't be happier. Ferrets have a tendency to hoard items. hehehe.....you haven't lived until you've seen a 2lb 11 oz ferret try and drag a 55lb dog by the ear to hide him under the bed!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast