Just Labradors banner

I've been told I shouldnt own a dog

4K views 37 replies 20 participants last post by  Fallriver 
G
#1 ·
I went to the park the other day and a woman commented on how nice and shiny Mambos coat was. I told her what type of food I give him as well as Raw. She at first acted like she was interested in hearing what I had to say. Than out of the blue she says "people like you shouldnt own dogs, would you feed your kid raw chicken?" WTF?? She went on to say I am neglecting my dog (Mambo really looks abused ::) )and she would be calling animal control on me. She wrote down my tag number and all. Says I am putting my dog at risk. She also said I am killing my dog by feeding him chicken. I should know chicken bones are not good for dogs, the could choke. But here is the best part. She feeds Marrow bones. WTH does she think that is. Its raw ! She also thinks the prong collar is abuse..lol Some people really have no clue. I wonder if she really called? I am sure if they were to come take a look she would see an abused puppy ;) Anyways.

Those of you that feed raw. Where did you hear about it? I heard about it on another board and spent some time looking into it. I have noticed great improvement in Mambos coat and overall health. Even my vet told me I shouldnt feed raw, I should use Science diet. But my new vet is all for it. Says she has noticed good changes in dogs that were on raw.

Just wanted to share.

See less See more
#2 ·
I have found that most folks just don't understand or don't want to learn. Some actually believe the myths ( about chicken bones, salmonella, Blood thirsty, etc...) My vet said the only thing that really worries her is the bacteria and the fact that the 'content' minerals/proteins/calories is not clearly labelled on the package. I did explain my position and she has relaxed somewhat. She does think Gus looks great.
I have never had anyone be actually rude to me about raw! I think if the park incident had of happened to me I'd of told her to get her head out of her ass! Some people.... Wonder who she'll call the dog food police :police: I'm sure animal control will come right over and arrest you!!! GAWD! How'd you keep a straight face ::) lol
IMO dogs are carnivores and they're built to handle raw food, even over hundreds of years of breeding we humans haven't changed the dogs genetics! The dog food industry has brain washed the health care system and some pet owners alike. After all dog food didn't come to be untill the 1940's or 50's how were dogs fed before that?

#3 ·
I would not worry. My vet also told me not to feed raw. Guess what? She is not my vet anymore ::) ::) ::) :'( I tell people too what kind of food we feed, and they look at me as if I was a weirdo. The real fun starts when p..p times comes. You know who is picking up horse size piles. Anyway, you should not feel accountable to anyone as to what you feed your dog. Some people feed their kids stuff (I am sure this woman belongs in them) that I would not feed to my dog. I tell people in the hope that some of them will go, do their research and learn about it themselves. At the end it is my dog who will likely live longer and happier life (doesn't good food make you happy?).

#5 ·
Tudyputs said:
I think those of you that feed raw are awesome. When my pup is older I hope and can put as much time and research into it as many of you do. Kudos!
Good luck! It sounds very difficult, and time consuming. After you do your reading, and get your freezer, you only spend a few hour each month preparing it.

#6 ·
I shouldn't own a dog either I guess. I feed a prey model diet and have since Amber was about 6 months old. I feed pre packaged raw (Bravo)about a month, until I learned enough to build up my courage to go whole hog so to speak.
I still remember that first chicken leg quarter she ate as I stood by watching every bite wiith my finger on the phone speed dial button to the emergency vets office. I kept waiting for a jagged bone to come poking out of her neck or something. Or her to turn blue and fall over gasping for air. I watched her intently for hours and all she ever did do was let out a burb once. it was a rather anti-climatic experience, but one I will never forget.

Kelly and Amber

G
#8 ·
Trickster said:
Calling animal control on you??

"Oh hello, Animal Control? yes, I would like to report an incident...I met a lady at the park who admitted to feeding her dog raw chicken." ???

What a nutcase.
LOL. Dont forget I also abused mambo by also putting a prong collar on him.

#9 ·
That is absolutely stupid! I don't feed my dog raw (yet) but I DO have 6 ferrets that are fed raw foods and whole prey (like mice, rats, etc). I get crap for raw feeding my ferrets ALL the time. Its ridiculous. People are so uneducated when it comes to alternative diets. YES you really have to know what you are doing to supply the right amounts of nutrients but for christs sake if some people knew what kibble and commerical foods did to our pets they wouldn't be feeding it anymore. Kudos to you for giving your dog a better lease on life by feeding raw.

#10 ·
All I have to say to this is ... How many people worry about what they feed themselves and their children. I am not trying to say that we should not worry about our animals, but people eat so much junk themselves and then will make comments on what we feed our pets.

#12 ·
I have people look at me crazy all the time when I am getting "dog food" at the grocery store.

Heck I also have people at the craft store look at me funny when I tell them that the fleece I am getting is for my guinea pig cage. ::)

Some people just don't want to think that there are other methods of doing things than what they have been taught all their lives.

#13 ·
People need to realize that dogs (although they are great child substitutes) are still DOGS and NOT humans. They (unlike humans) CAN handle raw meat. Some people are so ignorant it blows my mind. i'm sorry you had to deal with that BS, i deal with it on a regular basis in regards to my 6 raw fed ferrets.

#14 ·
I'll be honest, this is a subject I avoid with people I don't know very well, mostly because I'm a very non-confrontational sort of person and I don't want to get into arguments with people about pet food. It's also a subject I feel strongly about and once I get going ... well I don't want people to think that I'm lecturing them or passing judgment on them. When I do discuss this subject it's usually with other raw feeders or people that I know well. From those that don't know about raw feeding, I'm mostly met with confusion and concerns about salmonella. Though for the vast majority of people, without going into too many details, bringing up the the whole biologically appropriate thing and asking them if they've ever seen an animal in a zoo or on a nature show eating kibble, is usually enough to make them back off, even if it doesn't convert them.

I'm sorry that you had to deal with that woman. My blood would have been boiling after an encounter like that. When I see people in the pet store or grocery store buying cheap nasty food that I know is no good for their animal, I don't pass judgement on them and threaten to report them to the authorities for abuse ... and I'm guessing that no other raw feeders have either ;D

I'm sure that the folks at animal control had a good laugh if she did call them.

#15 ·
I deal with that **** salmonella argument ALL the time with my 6 ferrets (sorry to keep using them as an example but they are the only raw fed animals i have at the moment) What really amuses me is that my ferrets digestive system is approx 3-4 hours. Salmonella takes approx 6 hours incubation time in the gut to cause problems. So my little guys have already flushed their system twice before salmonella can take hold of them! I'm not sure what the digestive system of a dog is but I KNOW that their tummys have enough bacteria to digest meat. Like someone else said what the hell do people think dogs were eating before the pet food industry came along??? I too have to avoid discussing raw with other ferret owners, people can be SO biased and ignorant, they act like Kibble is the most natural food. uh...yeah..im pretty sure that if in the wild dogs (and ferrets for that matter) would not swing by petco to go grab a bag of Purina one. The whole opposition against raw just makes me laugh. I CAN understand the concearn of not balancing the diet properly (yes it can be tricky) but if you are doing it right bacteria is NOT of concearn to me.

As for feeding meat making an animal more agressive. THAT one makes me laugh! Does giving a cat an outlet for their natural behaviors (ie scratching post) make THEM more agressive? I think not. Giving dogs (cats or ferrets) and outlet to chew, rip, tear, bite that is safe and appropriate is only going to HELP with biting issues, NOT make them worse.

Humans have been cooking their meat for thousands of years, dogs don't have little hibachis in their dens in the wild to cook up their meat!!! Seriously, people need to expand their horizons and actually RESEARCH a raw diet before they go about bashing it.

#16 ·
A lady who is now one of my staff memebers loaned me a book when Caleb was diagnosed with pano--it was very enlightening on the cause of pano. So, I switched him to raw at 6 months and have not looked back.

As for that lady--her problem! You should have really rattled her cage and told her you did not believe in vaccinating every year (whether or not you do!). One vaccine required by law is the rabies, the rest are left to you and your vet to determine. I find I don't talk about it a lot and give limited info. Most people are not there. Have a man who started classes last night that challenged me in front of the whole class. You could feel everyone holding their breath as to what I was going to do or say.

#20 ·
I always find it amazing when people remark how feeding my ferrets raw is "horrible" for them. Bet they don't realize that by feeding their ferrets kibble they are putting them at a 75% risk of contracting pancreatic cancer. People are soooo stupid. i love when they criticize a diet thats is actually BETTER then the crap they are feeding to their animals. Sorry you had to deal with this moron. I would have blown up! Im impressed you were able to keep your cool!

#21 ·
What an ignorant woman! I watched a show on Discovery once (called "How It's Made") on how they make kibble. The ingredients are mixed up, put through an extruder, cut off into kibble bits, and then SPRAYED with meat flavor! SPRAYED! How in the world can anyone think that's better than real meat? And Hill's Science Diet is the worst food ever, IMO. I've fed it in the past, both the regular kind and the prescription, and it makes for horrible poops, horrible breath, dull coat.

#22 ·
OK I am in the dark and am so glad I have found this forum. I never have thought about feeding my labs raw meat but have always looked for high quality dry food for them. I have just started switching them to Innova. How does one include raw food and how much is given on a daily basis? Do your labs only eat raw? I am truly new to this.

#23 ·
labbie2 said:
OK I am in the dark and am so glad I have found this forum. I never have thought about feeding my labs raw meat but have always looked for high quality dry food for them. I have just started switching them to Innova. How does one include raw food and how much is given on a daily basis? Do your labs only eat raw? I am truly new to this.
Labbie, good start would be to read all of the posts in this forum. We have posts that include complete menus that some of us give, and we have all the questions you are asking answered. After you read all of them you will have a better idea, and maybe more specific questions. Good luck!!

#24 ·
Don't take any notice of her. What ever suits your dog and you is what matters.

In N.Z. it is becoming more of a norm to feed raw than dry.

When kassa was diagnosed with cancer I started feeding raw. Up until the day she died she looked amazing and people asked what I fed her. Vets wanted to know.

I feed Erns raw because he had terrible problems with itches.When I adopted Ernie his coat was dull and sort of grey. People stop me in the street and ask what I feed him. he looks shiny and healthy. I do cheat sometimes when I am lazy and feed a dry food. It is made here in N.Z. and even though it doesn't upset him I still prefer raw.

I was told some vets get extra "perks" if they sell so much dry food. When you think about it some vets really push a certain brand, so maybe there is some truth in it.

I still learn from the people in here. Everyone has such great ideas and information.

#25 ·
On top of that, unless a vet "specializes" in nutrition, their knowledge on the subject is very limited! Usually people who have thoughrouly researched raw for their pets know MORE then their vets do. Vets do get perks for selling so much dog food and on top of that most of their knowledge comes from seminars put on by Hills (the company that makes science diet).

#26 ·
I switched to Raw, but I'll be honest and tell you I do not feed bones unless they are ground up. I tried to, but every morning Ruger vomited them up. Also, two of my good friends are vets, and both have told me they have seen a sharp rise in obstructions due to RAW bones. Specifically, chicken wings. It seems chicken wing bones are small enough that most larger dogs swallow them whole, and they have caused problems requiring surgery.

I love feeding raw diet (minus the bones). The more I think about it, in the wild YES and dog will probably eat bones, but I think it would be the LAST thing they ate. They will eat the innards and the muscle meats first, and then if the pickings are slim, they'll eat bones. But a lot of prey animals/carnavoires, leave the bones behind. So go figure. Do what you can do for your dog. If you like giving them the bones, do it. But I choose not to.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.